jacketsdb23

Canopy Piloting Nationals Amateur vs. Open

For those of you who have gone to Nationals before...what is the competition like in the Amateur group? I'm going to Nationals and right now plan to participate in the Amateur competition. This being my first swoop competition outside of my local area the amateur group made sense. Are there many that compete in that division?

Just looking for some feedback on the competitive differences. I know there are rule differences.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

Unless something has changed in the last couple of years, "Amateur" class is the same as Intermediate in CPC; IE: ten foot gates. The speed course used to be about thirty feet shorter as well. Anyone who has ever competed as a pro in any money meet, whether CPC, Red Bull, or PSN must compete in open. Open is five foot gates. If you are not qualified (by CPC or some other money meet) to fly five footers, then you are relegated to the lower category.

Unless something has changed in the last couple of years, "Amateur" class is the same as Intermediate in CPC; IE: ten foot gates. The speed course used to be about thirty feet shorter as well. Anyone who has ever competed as a pro in any money meet, whether CPC, Red Bull, or PSN must compete in open. Open is five foot gates. If you are not qualified (by CPC or some other money meet) to fly five footers, then you are relegated to the lower category.

This year in the FL league at least - the only difference that I recall between Pro and Am was gate height. Speed Course is now the same length for the Ams.

Attendance for Amateur is up and down, I've seen it as low as 3 but it was far better attended last year.

AFAIK you don't *have* to do Amateur, but I think you're on the right track to attend that category.

As for the competition, last year there were a number of really, really good pilots in the AM event. I think most of them have moved up to Pro's this year though, but competition is still stiff in that category :)
See you there.
Ian

Performance Designs Factory Team

I suppose that is part of my concern. I'd rather see how I stack up against 50 competitors in the pro category as opposed to 3 or 4 in the amateur group. I spoke with a local jumper who did the amateur last year and she said there was about 10 -12 in that group, which would be very cool.

Either way, i'll be there.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.