frost

Scirocco - new x-braced main by Skylark

A new crossbraced main canopy has been introduced to the general public at the latest Russian Canopy Piloting Nationals.

Scirocco, piloted by Vsevolod Bedrin, showed some impressive results, earning him a 3rd place in Distance, 4th in Speed (sub-3 sec times) and 2nd place Overall. (Detailed results can be found here: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3908284;#3908284)

Canopy is made by a Ukrainian parachute equipment company Skylark http://www.skylark.com.ua/en/, whose canopies have already earned an excellent reputation.

Pics attached.

We will have an opportunity to jump this new wing later this season at the Ranch, cant wait to see how it compares to the Velo and JVX and how it flies at very high wingloadings (~3:1)

The guy in the first photo appears to have his chest strap completely undone, is that such a good idea?

Cheers,

Coops.

No, except he has a belly band on.

I hadn't seen that Dave thanks for pointing it out.

Would that belly band hold him in the harness if he had to cut away and then deploy his reserve?

Why not just have a longer chest strap?

Cheers,

Coops.

how much??? if it is only couple hundred dollar difference why not fly PD or Icarus???

I dont know what the pricing will be. The canopy is still in the final stages of pre-production, with several sizes being finalized and jumped.

The developer/manufacturer is trying several new things with this wing, some have not been done before in commercial x-baced parachutes.

Why not PD or Icarus? I dont know. There are plenty of experienced people that have no clue that there are great wings and wing makers out there other than PD or Icarus. They are happy with the great products these two companies make and have no desire to open up their horizons when it comes to trying other parachutes, even if they are just as good (or better) and less expensive. That's perfectly fine, most people are like that.

Then there are folks who like to see innovation and new wing designs driven by a competitive market. These people want to fly good wings, not just what's "in fashion" that year. They are a small minority. Entering an established cross-braced canopy market dominated my giants and getting to these pilots is not an easy task... We've seen some companies try with not much success. I am hoping Scirocco has a strong showing at the World meet next month, it's time for a new wing to make it in the market of 11 year old designs.

how much??? if it is only couple hundred dollar difference why not fly PD or Icarus???

If we`re looking at the $ only, then we could consider, shipping, taxes and customs and that could pile up to 1000$+...
And if that canopy is equal in performance with Icarus or PD there is no reason for someone from eastern world countries not to buy it (except for "it`s in style" reason).

For example, there is xf-15 canopy from jojo-wings, i bet most of you seen it fly... At least 30% cheaper...
dudeist skydiver #42

Who's to say PD hasn't experimented with a number of different combinations?

I remember a while back, Icarus had a 11 cell prototype they never ended up taking to market.

dfrom what I am told, PD got a glimps of NZaerosports' NZbrace system and tried to copy it but couldn't get it right, they called it the z brace before aerosports had a name for it.

I believe Icarus spain has been working on an 11 cell with inflatable stabalisers for some time, I believe the inflatable stabalisers 'are' the 10th and 11th cells. but that was from a sponsored athlete bragging not the company.

NZaerosports has still got thier next canopy up thier sleeves I beleive also.

Those that were around will remember the VX was announced, with printed brouchures the very moment the velocity was announced at the 99 pia symp..

PD being the big player needs to make a move before we get to see the next toys....

Either that or one of these more obscure companies getting podium results...

But it apears that JVX and velo are kneck and kneck in performance right now, if this new canopy can do something to disrupt the top swoopers....

I sure hope so.:ph34r:

More cells != more performance.

Not necessarily, more cells equals more lines which equals more drag...

More lift equlas a shorter recovery arc so less speed generated...

The JVX has a much thinner profile and more cells than a velo, but they seem compoarable in performance even with a shorter recovery arc.

This I beleive is why the JFX was developed, to test that theory in the feild.

I know at least one company has experimented with quad cascade lines to try to reduce parasite drag...

It seem though the orange dental floss that you PDFT guys are using is the way forward.

so much to learn.

But as I say, this is all my opinion, not necessarily the companies'.

More cells != more performance.

Historically 11-cell canopies have opened very poorly, so they've got that going for them, which is nice.

Isn't that what Clint said about the 11-cell (33 cell?) VX that was semi-publicly prototyped a few years ago? There was another open canopy 20 years ago call the Stealth or something like that, that had the same problems with openings.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

FYI

!= means NOT equals.

Blues.
Ian

Oh I did not see the exclamation mark, is that some sort of txt shorthand?

If it means;

doesn't necesarily equal,.. then I agree.

If it means does not equal... then my answer reamians the same.

It is an unknown quantity.