twalsh55

Mamba vs crossfire 2. size 119

im curious as to which is the better canopy the crossfire 2 or the mamba??? I had to listen to two guys going at each other over this subject so i thought id put it out there and get some people who know what they are talking about to shed some light... any takers??

just in general comparison from general flying, turns, coming in swooping etc... I dont fly either of these canopies but i am looking to test jump... i am looking for opinions after the conversation i heard today

For me, the Mamba was fun to fly and it opened fairly well; however, it just didn't dive, generate speed or maintain the speed coming into your swoop like the XF2 did. Also, the XF2 opens very well.

If you're going to demo those canopies and are qualified to jump those canopies, then demo a Katana as well.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

yea??? i have only heard a few good things about the katana.... well except for whats on the forum but a lot of people here in ireland dont think too highly of it.... i asked about one a month ago and was told point blank to stay away....

IF you can manage a Mamba or a Crossfire, you can manage flying a Katana...

Please be more accurate on what exactly you're looking for, your background, etc, or you can find a lot of information on these canopies with a quick search on the forum.

Well, the Katana is a no-shit swoop machine. I consider it a Velocity-minus. The minus is the bottom end. It dives hard, keeps its speed and performs really well in the hands of a capable pilot. Contrary to what some people will say, you can make it fly back from long spots, just not as well as the Velo.

However, if people are telling you that you're not ready for the Katana, then you're not ready for the XF2. If you're not ready for the XF2, then you're not ready for the Mamba.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Katana minus? I wouldn't say that, I think the bottom end flare is pretty much the same on both canopies.
The big difference is the recovery arc, which is shorter on the XF2. It looses its speed faster as well, but in the hands of a good pilot, it can be quite amazing.
The glide and the openings are better, or should I say, easier to handle, on the XF2.

For swooping, I prefer the Katana, but you really have to control it from the moment you let go your HD until you're back to the hangar.

(I now jump a Katana, after 500 jumps under XF and XF2.)

Lol nobody has told me I'm not ready for a katana and my cp instructor from my last cse has recommended that I fly a xfire 119 with a wing loading of 1.4... The people that have told me to stay away from the katana have tried it but don't like or fly it themselves... How this reflects on them as pilots is another debate lol personally I only asked their opinion as they are the so called golden boys at their little dz...

Like most people have said, it depends what you want from a canopy. Try all 3 if you can and make your own opinion. I swoop and have 2 mambas, this canopy swoops a hell of a long way. From speaking to people with alot of experince on all 3 canopies they all agree the mamba swoops further! But that doesn't come for free, You need to learn to cope with openings (body position and packing). Alot of people who try the canopy jump it once and can't cope with the openings due to their shit packing or body position (it's them, not the canopy) and then struggle to keep it level and on heading with the brakes stowed whilst taking booties off, collapsing the slider, undoing the chest strap etc. Jump it a few more times and you quickly learn to balance the canopy whilst doing that and once the brakes are released you've got a swoop machine thats lots of fun. Mamba, Xfire2 and Katana are all high performance canopies, chances are you'll try one of them and love so much you won't both trying the other 2. But if your worried about openings try the x-fire first, apparently it's much less exciting when it comes off your back and if your worried about resale price the Katana will hold its value better. That said... it does mean you can get a great deal on a used x=fire or Mamba!

I was wanting to test jump the x frire 2 and mamba. People said to me try the Katana but others said keep away. I jumped the Katana and now have 1. Providing you have a nice stable spread for opening and try not to look at it opening then its fine. Its flys amazing with long range for getting back from long spots. It dives steep (i do a slow rotation) with a fairly long recovery arc then it really takes off for the final surf. I load mine at 1:8.
I will stil try the mamba and x fire but am loving the Katana