EVOL

Crossfire 2 In Turbulence?

I have had my mind set for quite a while on getting a new Crossfire 2 139 this summer. I finally saved the money to get one. I did a ton of research into what my next canopy was going to be. I left no stone unturned...........or so I thought.

I was minutes from pulling the trigger on the canopy and a friend asked "Don't they have a problem in turbulence"?

I laughed and assured him this was not a problem, however, a little seed of curiosity was growing in my mind.

I did a little looking into the matter and as it turns out............there is a history of the Xfire collapsing in turbulence.

It seems that the problems stem from around the time of a recall where a bunch of Xfires had to go back for re-trim.

This concerns me a bit because I jump in the Midwest where it is ALWAYS windy and ALWAYS turbulent.

SO..........is there any more truth out there to this story or am I being paranoid? I am about 220lbs out the door so I will be loading it about 1.6.

I currently jump a Stiletto 150.
Cheers!
EVOL

There was a problem with the crossfire I. The serial numbers of the concerned canopies were published on the internet. It was a punctual problem with only a specific "batch" of crossfire's I.

The crossfire II came out after this incident. So the crossfire is not more or less prone to turbulence than any other comparable canopy.

There was a problem with the crossfire I. The serial numbers of the concerned canopies were published on the internet. It was a punctual problem with only a specific "batch" of crossfire's I.

The crossfire II came out after this incident. So the crossfire is not more or less prone to turbulence than any other comparable canopy.

I jumped a CF2 99 for 2 years loaded about the same coming off a Stiletto 107. It's a terrific canopy. You will notice a difference in the recovery arc and other characteristics but as far as turbulence goes, the above post is accurate... and when it doubt about it being too windy or too turbulent, well... you know the advice...No canopy is 100% "safe" in those conditions.

I have had my mind set for quite a while on getting a new Crossfire 2 139 this summer. I finally saved the money to get one. I did a ton of research into what my next canopy was going to be. I left no stone unturned...........or so I thought.

I was minutes from pulling the trigger on the canopy and a friend asked "Don't they have a problem in turbulence"?

I laughed and assured him this was not a problem, however, a little seed of curiosity was growing in my mind.

I did a little looking into the matter and as it turns out............there is a history of the Xfire collapsing in turbulence.

It seems that the problems stem from around the time of a recall where a bunch of Xfires had to go back for re-trim.

This concerns me a bit because I jump in the Midwest where it is ALWAYS windy and ALWAYS turbulent.

SO..........is there any more truth out there to this story or am I being paranoid? I am about 220lbs out the door so I will be loading it about 1.6.

I currently jump a Stiletto 150.
Cheers!
EVOL

I jump at a very turbulent DZ where either southerly or northerly winds give us a lot of trouble in conditions as little as 15mph. (Ridge to the north and sitting at top a ridge with slope to our south.)

I have 800 jumps on 149/ 139 xf2s and not a single problem. They flew through turbulence better than most canopies.

I was on a Nitron 170 loaded 1.45:1, basically the same as your stilletto. I downsized to a Xfire2 149 loaded at 1.6 just like your Xfire2 139. I jump in kansas and its obviously windy here all the time.

I haven't personally had any issues in turbulence so far. I think the increased forward speed from the additional wing loading helped more than anything, but I just let her fly and have been having less issues than everyone else here.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52