skybytch

Swoop Gone Wrong - The Aftermath

Ground launching is the only thing I'd want one of those little Divot-Maker 80s(or whatever) for.

that's about the dumbest shit i've ever heard in my lifetime..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Absolutely true. I wouldn't deny that for a second.

I guess I just feel that somehow there is a difference between hanging on a front riser for 720 degrees and building up a ton a speed coming straight towards the ground before swooping out of it at the last fraction of a second, and a ground launch where the speed is built up relatively slowly and never reaches swoop speed. (whew! long sentence)

Ground launching is the only thing I'd want one of those little Divot-Maker 80s(or whatever) for.

Hey, thanks for your opinion. You must be surrounded by some of the most intelligent and well educated Ivy Leaguers on the planet. Good for you.

Absolutely true. I wouldn't deny that for a second.

I guess I just feel that somehow there is a difference between hanging on a front riser for 720 degrees and building up a ton a speed coming straight towards the ground before swooping out of it at the last fraction of a second, and a ground launch where the speed is built up relatively slowly and never reaches swoop speed. (whew! long sentence)

so, flying over rocks at speeds exceeding 60mph, with unpredictable winds sounds safe for you!?
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Hey, thanks for your opinion. You must be surrounded by some of the most intelligent and well educated Ivy Leaguers on the planet. Good for you.

that's the PM i got from him:

P.S Eat shit

Yeah... fuck you, What the fuck do you know? NOTHING... 300 jump Eurofag CHUMP. SHUT THE FUCK UP... BITCH!

he even knows how to use bold and colors in his messages, i'm so impressed..

:D:D:D
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

I didn't say that.
And STFU, boy. I don't need your lack of wisdom telling me what is what. You know shite. Piss off.

dont hold back, keep it coming, let it ALL out!

momma didnt treat you right, ey!?
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

what happened to the jumper the OP posted about?

my 2 cents on a point brought up earlier about those who progress faster than average and starting at a young age:

IMO theres a difference between someone who watches nitro circus and think hes travis pastrana and someone who has participated in high risk activities their whole life. assuming both people have been in the sport the same amount of time i think it is fare to say that the guy who has a background of racing 125 shifters, 450four strokes and races downhill bikes is going to be significantly better with the same amount of coaching at a given number of jumps than the guy who just watched it on TV. its just like having a job, related experience applies tremendously as opposed to someone with none at all
Jump more, Bitch less.

IMO theres a difference between someone who watches nitro circus and think hes travis pastrana and someone who has participated in high risk activities their whole life. assuming both people have been in the sport the same amount of time i think it is fare to say that the guy who has a background of racing 125 shifters, 450four strokes and races downhill bikes is going to be significantly better with the same amount of coaching at a given number of jumps than the guy who just watched it on TV.

If you've been doing other "dangerous" sports for a while you might have a good orthopedic surgeon on speed dial but otherwise it's not going to help.

its just like having a job, related experience applies tremendously as opposed to someone with none at all

Sure, related experience helps. Landing planes will teach you about flying patterns and landing where you want. Air sports will teach you about weather. But just going fast or being dangerous don't relate to the skills that make you more likely to survive skydiving, especially after your inclination to go fast and be dangerous carry over.

I didn't read every post. I stopped after page one. I think your intentions are good trying to draw attention to these types of issues, but I also don't agree with the class you've defined as being problematic (sub 500 jumper who's been jumping hp canopies at 1.5wl or less since 100 jumps).

Not everyone is capable of jumping what you refer to has high performance, but there are enough of us out there that simply have the skill and intellectual abilities to fly canopies like this at those jump numbers. I was flying elipticals that are you your "high performance" WL range around 150 jumps and I rapidly downsized and started flying Velos around 400 jumps (after putting 100 jumps or so on various elipticals). I'm injury free, and I know that there are a lot of jumpers that have taken a similar path. If this guy has been jumping canopies like this since 100 jumps and he's "sub 500" I'm guessing he has at least a couple of hundred jumps that demonstrate his abilities on that particular type of canopy.

Again, I agree with you making skydivers aware of issues that can happen, but please stop blaming the choice of canopy and WL. Blame the skydiver for not making smart decisions while under the canopy.

After watching my friend and mentor hook it in yesterday this post honestly disgusts me. He was the most consistent swooper I knew and I saw him nail the same 720 perfectly hundreds of times until the last time when he didn't and bled out on the scene. He had over 6000 jumps and was incredibly current. Your attitude and ego are terrible and you being alive is product of your fortune and lack of bad luck, not your self-perceived mad skills.

I would never wish physical harm on anyone but hope that your wakeup call that you aren't an invincible being powered by your apparently incredible intellect and capability to survive is merely a close call or injury and doesn't have you leaving your LZ in a body bag.
http://www.mixcloud.com/prajna
http://vimeo.com/avidya

please stop blaming the choice of canopy and WL. Blame the skydiver for not making smart decisions while under the canopy.

What about not making smart decisions about their canopy choice?

The majority of accidents don't start at the end with the accident. They start long before that with a series of seemingly smaller events that add up over time.

For most canopy flight accidents, they have tended to start with the following steps:

--The choice to disregard advice from experienced jumpers and canopy pilots
--Canopy choice (design type and size, changing too much too quickly)
--Lack of the understanding and ability to perform the basics (the fundamentals like patterns and flat turns)
--Moving through turning progressions too fast
--Further disregard for experienced canopy pilots advice

Some people get lucky and make it out of those series of events unhurt. Some get scared, some quit the sport and some realize what they are missing and actively seek coaching. Most of those people get hurt in some fashion. Some of those people die.

For example, "accidental" low turns are typically the result of not flying a good pattern and not knowing how to land in a crosswind/downwind or do a flat turn. How many people trying to swoop who fly their canopy into the ground are persons who people tried to talk to, tried to help and people who made bad canopy choices?

If low-time jumpers would see the value of learning the fundamentals, how to apply them and do it all while flying an appropriately sized canopy, then some of the accidents could be reduced.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I am curious if I can ask a question here without getting flamed.
I read all the posts about the jumpers experience, the canopy size, how some of us high timers should lead by example, and to not tarnish the dropzones safety record with unsafe or reckless behaviour and so on.

I am here to say that I have broken my femur, I have held a dying friend in my arms in the landing area and I KNOW what a bad approach looks like.
I have tried to pass my experience down and I have tried to speak to younger skydivers about progressing too fast.
From my experience if you do not have the support of your dropzone then you pretty much just seem like the jerk trying to hold them back from having fun.
I have tried to do my part and I would like to see some USPA rated S&TA's step up to the plate and do what they are supposed to be doing.
I watch on a daily basis, kids getting on the plane with a canopy they shouldn't or getting on skydives they shouldn't and I have also witnessed newbie skydivers remember to get on the plane with their camera but not their rig. And in the same instance I see experienced jumpers get kicked off a dropzone for going over the S&TA and the Managers head to inform the owner that dangerous things are happening and his staff is doing nothing about it.

At some point can we actually hold people responsible that are in a position where they are supposed to be responsible for these kind of actions?

If your proud of your dropzone, ask your staff to step up and be responsible. And if they blow you off, go somewhere that cares whether you live or die.

Fortunately not. There was no skill involved in getting out of that mistake. Pure luck, nothing else. I didn't listen to my inner voice, and pushed a situation I knew wasn't good. Thankfully I lucked out and am still here (so people hiding behind anonymous profiles can take shots ;))

I'm pretty comfortable owning up to my mistakes, they are what they are.

Edit: btw - since you can't accept PM's I'll have to do this in public. Your signature is inappropriate for any posts outside of the speakers forum. You have until tomorrow to change it before I ban you from this forum and hide your posts.

Ian

Performance Designs Factory Team

Fortunately not. There was no skill involved in getting out of that mistake. Pure luck, nothing else. I didn't listen to my inner voice, and pushed a situation I knew wasn't good. Thankfully I lucked out and am still here (so people hiding behind anonymous profiles can take shots ;))

I'm pretty comfortable owning up to my mistakes, they are what they are.

Edit: btw - since you can't accept PM's I'll have to do this in public. Your signature is inappropriate for any posts outside of the speakers forum. You have until tomorrow to change it before I ban you from this forum and hide your posts.

Ian

I think it's pretty funny seeing you calling someone out about luck vs. skill, but of course that was my point in asking the question.

Ban away! And I hope it makes you feel better about yourself. (...but I'm sorry, it won't.)
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

Sub 500-jump jumper under small higher performance canopy since approx 100 jumps......

Yeah, I know this is an exercise in futility...

It wouldn't be if DZO's would grow a pair and tell guys like him to go die on someone else's DZ.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

It wouldn't be if DZO's would grow a pair and tell guys like him to go die on someone else's DZ.

"He's a grown up. He can make his own decisions. I'm not going to hold him back"

And if that's the DZ's attitude, their safety record will reflect it sooner or later.

Anyone want to do a DZ body count? Anyone?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX