skybytch

Swoop Gone Wrong - The Aftermath

And because I've been around here long enough that those who matter already know how many jumps I have and what kind of canopies I fly and what ratings I hold and what I used to do for a living... and because I don't really care if anybody thinks what I say is credible or not anymore.

That's fair enough, I suppose.

Sorry to hear you have given up in your safety crusade.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

And because I've been around here long enough that those who matter already know how many jumps I have and what kind of canopies I fly and what ratings I hold and what I used to do for a living... and because I don't really care if anybody thinks what I say is credible or not anymore.

Doc.. another reason not to post your jumpnumbers / canopy type is :

If someone with 3000+ jumps, flying a Velo gives advice to someone with 100 jumps flying a small eliptical.. really what they are doing is trying to stop them from progressing.. not coaching or protecting them from pain we've been in ourselves, or we've seen our friends in.

The objective is to stop them from progressing, otherwise we might lose from them in the next swoop comp, or they might end up looking cooler than us when swooping the beerline..

So basically if we don't post jump numbers we're not credible, if we post them we're blocking people from progressing..

Having an argument on the internet is just too much fun..

I totally understand Skybytch' point.. standards are beeing lowered, I read comments earlier that people needed 200 jumps to fly a square parachute years ago.. there's no need to go back to that extreme, but people need to start learning that flying a smaller faster canopy is not just something you can start doing overnight...

Think of it as driving a faster and faster car, in more traffic all the time.. with very limited brakes.

Those skills take a lot of time to learn and people seem to forget that these days. Just because you have 2000 dollars in your hand and you can afford a smaller, faster parachute, doesn't mean you should be flying that.

Taking a step back, walking up to someone and saying: hey.. I want to fly a faster canopy, I want to learn how to swoop, etc.. can you work with me so I can be ready for the next canopy? You will find a whole different response than: hey, I bought a 100 sqft canopy and I keep biffing it in, but I am not going back to my bigger one, just teach me on this one..

Attitude is everything, not just in this sport, everywhere!

It is time that people start respecting the journey to get to the experience level that some people have, and think for a minute.. the 3000 jumps I have most certainly were not all on my Velocity, the skills that have kept me out of trouble until now were all learned on bigger, more docile parachutes.

Thanks for taking the time to post your reply.

I sympathize with the no-win situation you put yourself in with "internet coaching".
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

190 @ 1.1
then you got married and went to
190 @ 1.4

So im guessing your about 110 kgs

Man i need to get married, i never new this was the secret to sorting your wing loading out.

Loose weight to downsize, why waste this natural ballast get on that new canopy do what every arsehole who knows everything about canopy flight does this time of year , pull those toggles like the church bells and and closer to the floor the better the thrill!
Do what every arsehole who knows everything about canopy flight does this time of year , pull those toggles like the church bells and and closer to the floor the better the thrill!

Wouldn't it be better if a more experienced pilot took them under there wing.

How do you think it feels when someone who came to you for advice, gets seriously injured or dies? Do you think you might kick yourself forever for not having done enough to show them they were pushing too hard?

You ever think how it might feel to hold someone as you watch their last breath bubble out between their lips?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Oh and I fully believe that if someone is being unsafe around others and refuses to listen to coaching than the S&TA should be doing something about it.

What should we do about it? Tell them they are fucking up? Other than that, we have no teeth.

I probally shouldn't beat the dead horse here, but what the hell I'm bored and it's just laying there.

Did the guy who hit the spool know how to carve?

No but he thought he was better than the rest. Hell he told people that on a regular basis, even after experts in the field watched him and told him he wasn't. He ignored advice on a regular basis. He was somewhat proficient in a semi related field, but even then he was writing checks that his skills would eventually not be able to cash. Fortunately for the many people he could have put in harms way, he hadn't yet.

Who said I've given up?

You...?

because I don't really care if anybody thinks what I say is credible or not anymore.

~ CanuckInUSA

How do you think it feels when someone who came to you for advice, gets seriously injured or dies? Do you think you might kick yourself forever for not having done enough to show them they were pushing too hard?

I do know that feeling I had two friends get in piece of shit airplane after they asked my opinion of it, and I told them not to. They both died on it's first flight after the wings folded up. Doesn't mean I wont continue to tell the next guy the same thing.

What should we do about it? Tell them they are fucking up? Other than that, we have no teeth.

REALLY? So the S&TA at your drop zone doesn't have the authority to ban someone from jumping for 30 Days, or do they just not have the balls to do it.

You ever think how it might feel to hold someone as you watch their last breath bubble out between their lips?

Oh and yes to this too. I had my daughter die in my arms thank you very much.

Who said I've given up?

You...?

because I don't really care if anybody thinks what I say is credible or not anymore.

Try not to read between the lines so much. I don't care if anybody thinks what I say here is credible or not. I (and those who know me) know that it is.

The dropzone.com forums are not the only place available for me to speak on this particular subject, nor is this the only place I intend to speak on this particular subject.

For bitching about things here doesn't get things done, and it's way past time for something to get done.

Doc.. another reason not to post your jumpnumbers / canopy type is :

If someone with 3000+ jumps, flying a Velo gives advice to someone with 100 jumps flying a small eliptical.. really what they are doing is trying to stop them from progressing.. not coaching or protecting them from pain we've been in ourselves, or we've seen our friends in.

The objective is to stop them from progressing, otherwise we might lose from them in the next swoop comp, or they might end up looking cooler than us when swooping the beerline..

So basically if we don't post jump numbers we're not credible, if we post them we're blocking people from progressing..

Having an argument on the internet is just too much fun..

I totally understand Skybytch' point.. standards are beeing lowered, I read comments earlier that people needed 200 jumps to fly a square parachute years ago.. there's no need to go back to that extreme, but people need to start learning that flying a smaller faster canopy is not just something you can start doing overnight...

Think of it as driving a faster and faster car, in more traffic all the time.. with very limited brakes.

Youngest driver to win Indy 500 was 22.
10 drivers 20 and under have driven in Formula 1 Grand Prix races.

Some people DO progress much faster than the average. We shouldn't discourage them.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

And how much of their lives were spent submerged in the sport, or the feeder leagues? My guess is almost all of them. Not to mention the information they are constantly surrounded by (i.e coaching).

Most skydivers don't start that young.

Some people DO progress much faster than the average. We shouldn't discourage them.

True. However, MOST don't.

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Yes, but they do get a LOT of coaching...

OK. so do some canopy pilots.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

As Ian just wrote, you cannot compare ten/fifteen years of intensive training (Starting as a child) with a few hours (You know for a beginner skydiver hours of coaching is a lot) starting at 20...

Not saying coaching is useless of course, I think tou have to slightly adapt the rules to each individual, but here you're comparing oranges with apples.

I agree Kallend.. but those are not the jumpers we are talking about in this thread.

Here in Sweden we have a downsizing chart, showing the smallest canopy a skydiver with less than 500 jumps is allowed to jump. It progresses from a WL of a little less than 1 for a beginner, to about 1.45:1 at 500 jumps.
Before being allowed to jump an elliptical parachute, skydivers have to pass two canopy piloting courses - one for basic piloting skills (flat turns, riser/harness turns, landing in brakes/on rears, pitch and flare, stall points etc), and one specifically for flying HP canopies.
Before swooping, skydivers must have done 500 jumps, and must (in addition to the basic and HP piloting courses) go a swoop piloting course.

Sweden did not see the increase in landing deaths/injuries that the US did at the advent of HP canopies. The last skydiving death (IIRC) in Sweden was in 2005, where a skydiver who had sat in on, but not participated in, a swoop piloting course hooked in.
Not arguing one way or the other, just providing an example of how it's done in another country.

Was the gear really at fault

"At fault"? No. The gear operated exactly as it was designed to and did exactly what the pilot asked it to.

The choice of that gear at a low experience level was the first link in the chain of events that led to this helicopter ride.

Name should be skycunt not skybytch

Sweden did not see the increase in landing deaths/injuries that the US did at the advent of HP canopies. The last skydiving death (IIRC) in Sweden was in 2005, where a skydiver who had sat in on, but not participated in, a swoop piloting course hooked in.

The new rules about canopy size came in 2001 or 2002. There were plenty of HP canopies before that.

The HP- and swooping-rules came out in 2007 and the study material came out a year later (so it was not implemented at all DZs). Not to say that there were no local rules against it before, but often at a lower jump number and without any required course.

There have been plenty of landing injuries after those rules too.

I don't think one can compare USA to Sweden without considering a lot of other factors as well.

We only do 80.000-100.000 jumps per year.
We have fewer, larger airplanes, thus fewer jumpers in the air. The four biggest DZs have one Twin-Otter, one Beaver, one Caravan and one PAC750XSTOL.
The biggest DZs have rather large landing areas compared to many busy DZs in the USA.
All the raining keeps the ground soft, which has prevented a few swooping injuries that I've witnessed.

Ground launching is the only thing I'd want one of those little Divot-Maker 80s(or whatever) for.

Why is that? You can get injured or die ground launching too. Having some previous skydiving experience on something smaller might prepare you better for ground launching.