skybytch

Swoop Gone Wrong - The Aftermath

Some people are willing to take more risk than others. Theres nothing wrong with that in my opinion. Everyone is free to take as much risk as they please.

No one is free to put a scar on a DZ's safety record or the sport's image because they decide they want to be "riskier" than others.

The right to swing your arm ends where the other guy's nose begins - Ben Franklin
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I didnt know there is a specific "safety record" for each DZ? But I guess this seems to be the case, since some DZ´s have already banned swooping totally. (which is just crazy in my opinion) This direction where we are heading is what kills the whole idea of skydiving. These are the kind of people that hate base jumping also since it ruins "the image of skydiving"..

Most will not listen. Hence the old "blood on the street" method. People like to think they are better than average. Just read "Stiletto as a student canopy" to see one guy try to claim he knows better than everyone else.

Been there. Remember? I told you not to feed the troll....

It is... He didn't land in the clear area.

Darwinism works, like like in BASE...

Its more important to learn when to take it easy and slow than push it harder.

The problem is that a HP canopy's idea of "slow" is still fast.

Do you take every word literally? You suppose to know how to land a canopy nice and easy.:P

Some people are willing to take more risk than others. Theres nothing wrong with that in my opinion. Everyone is free to take as much risk as they please.

No one is free to put a scar on a DZ's safety record or the sport's image because they decide they want to be "riskier" than others.

The right to swing your arm ends where the other guy's nose begins - Ben Franklin

I tend to agree with BMFin on this. Plus, you have to consider that everyone's natural abilities are different. What's too aggressive for one person isn't necessarily for another.

What's too aggressive for one person isn't necessarily for another.

True. Some guy at Skydance just discovered that he was too aggressive. There are plenty of people who, in their lives, had two or three seconds of realization that they were too aggressive and never regained consciousness. There are others who never saw the person that was too aggressive.

Lisa merely pointed out how danged stereotypical this injury is. Low jumper swooping on a fast canopy. It was an acceptable risk for the guy. I wonder if he is reevaluating acceptable risks...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Hey lets mark the edge of our swooping lane with wooden spools. Why don’t you mark the edge with barb wire? That way if you miscalculate your swoop by just one foot, you can shred your legs and torso up into hamburger and feed the spectators standing on the other side of the spools at the same time. They use 5 wooden spools spaced 3ft apart sitting completely out in an open area, right on the edge of their swoop lane to keep spectators away from a 300 ft swooping lane! I wonder what would happen if a swooper mucks up an approach or hits funky wind and verses off course by three feet to the other side of these spools? Bowling for spectators?

Hey lets mark the edge of our swooping lane with wooden spools. Why don’t you mark the edge with barb wire? That way if you miscalculate your swoop by just one foot, you can shred your legs and torso up into hamburger and feed the spectators standing on the other side of the spools at the same time. They use 5 wooden spools spaced 3ft apart sitting completely out in an open area, right on the edge of their swoop lane to keep spectators away from a 300 ft swooping lane! I wonder what would happen if a swooper mucks up an approach or hits funky wind and verses off course by three feet to the other side of these spools? Bowling for spectators?

The barbed wire fence is just to the north. A few years ago, a jumper overshot landing to the north, and broke his wrist. At that point, he had more than 6000 feet (over a mile) of available landing strip behind him, but used up the last 6 inches.

Love this Bytch. Next time post the blood and guts. That'll really wake em up

Love this? Then join SoFPiDaRF - the School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying (on Facebook).

The school has over 1000 faithful disciples. The approach to coaching and training is very progressive, they take no shortcuts trying to teach and promote canopy piloting greatness. The instructors tell you EXACTLY what YOU want to hear. Nobody is held back or frowned upon for making solid decisions on smaller canopy choices. School's motto is "Why? Because you are a grown ass man and can make your own decisions!"

New pilots can find good tips and support, while old pilots can learn how to not hold the new generation back from achieving their maximum potential. It's a win-win situation - everyone learns something! BTW, some of the greatest names in swooping and skydiving are part of the school and are frequent contributors!

If you haven't already done so, take a trip to the Ranch in New York and check out there wall of pain.

I wish they would scan all those pics and put them up on the web.

I went there 2 years ago, looked around the hangar for it, and was then told it's gone. [:/]

It may be back now as they were still doing some upgrades.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I haven't seen it but I think there is a collection of the photos from it living with a member of the Sportsmen...

D
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

If there is one thing I have learned in this sport is that Skydivers are going to progress the way they want to or die trying. This is comming from someone with 125 jumps loaded 1.4 on a fully eliptical. Rather than just critisize the jumper for for wanting to progress. Wouldn't it be better if a more experienced pilot took them under there wing. Even if the jumper refuses to listen about not downsizing he will probally still listen to ways to improve his piolting and keep him from killing himself.

Its time to start being a coach rather than a critic!

Rather than just critisize the jumper for for wanting to progress. Wouldn't it be better if a more experienced pilot took them under there wing.

Many of us have tried with many people at different times. More often than not, that young jumper simply has no desire to listen because the coach/mentor is saying things that they don't like. For instance, the coach/mentor may say something like "lets work on your landing pattern." The young jumper doesn't want to, he wants to pull on risers. During this, the young jumper refuses to believe that a good and safe swoop starts with a solid landing pattern.

Many of the people you see in this forum are actual canopy coaches, where else can you get free advice from a number of different qualified canopy pilots? Many of those same canopy coaches are also active or former pro swoop competitors. Others are experienced instructors who have a firm grasp on canopy flight. The difference is, typically when people spend money to hear the same advice, they listen better.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If there is one thing I have learned in this sport is that Skydivers are going to progress the way they want to or die trying. This is comming from someone with 125 jumps loaded 1.4 on a fully eliptical. Rather than just critisize the jumper for for wanting to progress. Wouldn't it be better if a more experienced pilot took them under there wing. Even if the jumper refuses to listen about not downsizing he will probally still listen to ways to improve his piolting and keep him from killing himself.

Amen, buddy! Who knows you better than you?! All these old farts are jealous and trying to keep you down. Look forward to having some of your photo and video contributions to the School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying, they will definitely take you under "there" wing!

If there is one thing I have learned in this sport is that Skydivers are going to progress the way they want to or die trying

Thing is you don't always die, a lot of times you pound in just hard enough to paralyze yourself or hurt yourself so bad you regret it for the rest of your life. So step up bro, consider jumping to a velo next since that's your natual progression path.

Typical TBTB comment.
ZC OG

If you truly want to progress in this sport take these people's advice to heart especially angiedave. Ask around the dropzone for advice from AFF instructors or people that have been around for years and have thousands of jumps. Sit in on a flight 1 canopy course or such and you'd be surprised on how much you will learn and really progress!
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

someone with 125 jumps loaded 1.4 on a fully eliptical. Rather than just critisize the jumper for for wanting to progress.

You are confusing "downsizing" with "progression".

They are only tangentially related concepts.

(A great deal of coaching takes the form of criticism. Obviously not all criticism is coaching, but neither is all criticism bad merely because it's pointing out mistakes. When I make a mistake, I like my coaches to tell me :P)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

You somehow think I don't coach?

The difference is some listen and some ignore.

This is comming from someone with 125 jumps loaded 1.4 on a fully eliptical. Rather than just critisize the jumper for for wanting to progress. Wouldn't it be better if a more experienced pilot took them under there wing.

With your last canopy, could you land it 10 times out of 10 in a 10m circle standing up?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

With your last canopy, could you land it 10 times out of 10 in a 10m circle standing up?

Yes and I can with this one too!
Look I'm not trying to justify my wing loading. I'm just tired of hearing people bitch about before the even see me fly it.

The difference is some listen and some ignore.

I realize some people are extremely arrogant, but I find its more the way people approach the situation. Out of the 10 DZ I have been to I have had one guy as me if he could come out and video my landing and then sit down and critique it. At all the rest I had to ask for coaching and then usually not got it.

Oh and I fully believe that if someone is being unsafe around others and refuses to listen to coaching than the S&TA should be doing something about it.

Amen, buddy! Who knows you better than you?! All these old farts are jealous and trying to keep you down. Look forward to having some of your photo and video contributions to the School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying, they will definitely take you under "there" wing!

Way to prove my point about the difference between being a sarcatic ass hole and a coach.