gilead1

icaros crossfire VS neos VS Katana

hello

I upsized from Stellito 89 to Katana 97 (load at 1.8) and I'm very disappointed, especially from the opening. any way I'm trying to decide between the Crossfire 2 and the Neos,
any opinions to share?

I can only comment on the katana openings part of your post. I noticed that the more neatly i pack the shittier the opening gets. Also, I stuff the outer 4 cells on both sides into the center cell. That way it opens up nicely from the middle instead of one side of the canopy trying to fly before the other side.

I also never look up at the openings anymore and just push the risers out a little on opening.

I get good openings. I dont really mind if the opening is "off heading" I just go with it if it wants to go to one side. I used to fight it and had to cut away once as a result.

Once its flying its a dream.

For what it's worth, having never flown either the neos or the xfire2:
I noticed from looking at others flying the xfire it has a shorter recovery than the katana, it opens better than the katana

Neos: you don't see many of those, must have a reason. I asked for a demo 8 months ago, still no neos....

... I stuff the outer 4 cells on both sides into the center cell...

interesting.... I didn't do it since the "Blue Track 40" (yeah yeah - Parachute De France) I had at 1994!!!
I'm going to give it a try this weekend,

Thanks

P.S
I don't mined to have off heading open, the problem is that when ut gos off heading it is very violent.

yeah, that's exactly what I had before i stuffed the nose. Very "snappy" off headings at the end of the opening.

I kind of roll the noses of the 4 outer cells so they are easier to get into the center cell. When done it kinda looks like a part of a womans anatomy ;)

A while ago i thought the stuffing wasnt helping and i left the nose hanging out...again snappy off heading opening....

I stuff the outer 4 cells on both sides into the center cell.

That something that we used to do to old worn out large sized Sabre1s. Really, though, I wouldn't do that to a Katana, that's a quick way to end up on your back spinning towards earth. Every Katana I've jumped I packed neatly and with a normal pro-pack. Every Katana I've jumped has opened very nicely that way.

If the OP wants another canopy, that's fine, but it makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the canopy he has that isn't specific to the model?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

would a riggerologist be enough ?

back to the thread :

the closest to the Stiletto in flying would be, in my opinion and given the selection of canopies, the Crossfire. The best openings also given my experience would definitely be the Crossfire. I would get the Crossfire if I were the OP. YMMV
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I jumped CF2 109, Neos 109 and Katana 120.
Out of them the CF109 is the most docile canopy with great openings. Some people say that the Neos has nice openings which I can not confirm (I had 10 out of 10 hard openings occasionally with stars in my eyes). Opening on the Katana was ok, but not as nice as the Stilletto 107 I jumped before.

There are a lot of discussions around the Neos here, but I'm very happy with my CF2 with nicer openings and lighter front riser pressure. On swoop performance the others might be better but I'm not that advanced that I can tell the difference.

blues,
Marcus

I'm surprised that at these many jumps you're not flying an xbrace :P

I had about 3000 jumps on the Blue Track (50 & 40) and on the Pro 100 from Parachute De France. and if you jump even one jump on this kind of canopy you must know that my lower back and my neck can not stand a "snappy" opening with the video & stills camera [:/]

Crossfire2 will give you very nice openings for sure. It is ideal for flying camera.

In terms of swooping, Icarus canopies all have shorter recovery arcs than PD canopies.
(XF2, Neos, VX, JVX vs. Katana, Velocity)

They just require a little bit different (maby a bit more precise) swooping technique.

I had about 3000 jumps on the Blue Track (50 & 40) and on the Pro 100 from Parachute De France. and if you jump even one jump on this kind of canopy you must know that my lower back and my neck can not stand a "snappy" opening with the video & stills camera [Unsure]

Then get a JVX.

You will find the openings much nicer than a crossfire2 of that size loaded like that, you'll find the slider on a small crossfire is also quite small, while the slider on a JXV of the same size will be almost as big as a tandem slider.

They open marvelously, my slider is 60cm x 90cm. My wife has a crossfire2 89, it opens brisk with me on it loading it at 2.2 and the slider is quite small (too small imho).

Something to think about.

I have had 3 JVX's and my most recent (a 79) has the largest slider of them all.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I went from a Vengeance to a Katana. I think the openings on the Katana (WL 1.8) are very docile.

Tried to test jump a CF2, but no joy with the rep. Even went so far as to send him my MC number.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had about 3000 jumps on the Blue Track (50 & 40) and on the Pro 100 from Parachute De France. and if you jump even one jump on this kind of canopy you must know that my lower back and my neck can not stand a "snappy" opening with the video & stills camera

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then get a JVX.

Actually, the new JFX is the canopy to get for the best openings..
Lugi is now juming one along with Crazy Larry.
I have one on order,

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

No shit... Wingsuit with Xbrace....???
And I was sure that wingsuit flyers preferable canopy is 7 cells.

The JFX is so good???
is it really open on heading or Tony take his chances??

Well first off, Tony is not the average Wingsuiter.

I would not recommend it, but maybe some people like Tony, may prefer the JFX.

As far as Video fliers and consistent on-heading openings, it is the sweetest, smoothest, on-heading canopy I've seen to this day. .....And yes better than the Crossfire II.

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com