tylorayre

Next canopy progression???

OK, my 1st post on here so let's here some good honest opinions. I am looking to downsize to a CF 2 139 from a Stiletto 150. I know the flight characteristics are way different between these canopies. I was origionally gonna downsize to a CF 129, but after some thought I decided to go with the 139. What are your thoughts?

A HP canopy like a CF at a WL of ~1.6 is a bit much IMO for 450 jumps, especially coming from a ST as it behaves nothing like a swoop canopy. You may want to put some jumps on a more diving canopy than the ST first, like on a sabre2 150 or 135, before moving to a CF. In fact, you might want to just get a sabre2 altogether ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

extrapolating the weight/wingloading thing from what the guy said before I would say that it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to move to the 149 crossfire instead of downsizing and switching to a much more swoop oriented wing from what you are jumping now.

things to keep in mind

the crossfire has a much longer recovery arc than the stiletto
the crossfire bumps out pretty well on brakes and rears
once you are at level flight you can let the thing fly on its own for a bit until it starts to sink again then apply brakes..

take it slow it will lead to your body being cooperative with you leading a fun skydiving lifestyle for a longer period of time...

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Don't both downsize and change canopy types at the same time. At least demo a crossfire 149 for a while before downsizing. Then it would be reasonable to go to the 129. And don't break yourself by turning any of them low.
http://www.exitshot.com

OK, my 1st post on here so let's here some good honest opinions. I am looking to downsize to a CF 2 139 from a Stiletto 150. I know the flight characteristics are way different between these canopies. I was origionally gonna downsize to a CF 129, but after some thought I decided to go with the 139. What are your thoughts?

How often will you be jumping? Will you be focusing on canopy piloting or just using it to get you down from freefall?

I would need to know these things before i would suggest a size, but a crossfire is definately a good choice, I moved from a heatwave (stiletto copy) to a crossfire and was so very happy.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I probably jump about 20 times per month and yes i I want to focus on my canopy piloting skills. Although some may argue this, the Stilletto is not a fun canopy to learn to swoop on. I have even been told to get rid of it before I develop bad habits.
Tylor

I would not recommend changing both size and recovery arc at the same time and neither would any professional canopy coach.

Can you survive it????? Probably.... as long as you never make a mistake.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I probably jump about 20 times per month and yes i I want to focus on my canopy piloting skills. Although some may argue this, the Stilletto is not a fun canopy to learn to swoop on. I have even been told to get rid of it before I develop bad habits.
Tylor

I moved from a sabre2 135 to a katana 120 @700 jumps. Unlike the shit I had heard about the "satana" "widowmaker" "extreme bladibla", it turned out to actually fly like a dream.

The CF has a bit shorter recovery arch than the katana (but much longer than the insta recovery stiletto) and it opens better. I'd say getting the cf 139 would pose no problem.

This is all assuming common sense/ self reflection and focus on CP.

Just get a friend or a paid coach to guide you on your CP quest. Don't lean too much on some extremists here thats would have you fly a manta 300 the rest of your life.

I mean, you have a stiletto, so you are familiar with the HP openings and the elliptical steering. The only difference going to the cf would be that is goes down somewhat faster due to slightly higher WL.

+ you can actually do swooplandings safer than on the stiletto. Just start slow, with 90 degrees turns, get digital altis/beepers to get consistent, try up high first etc etc.

I'm sure @ 450 jumps you know its a bad thing to whip a toggle to avoid someone or something on final at 200 feet.....

Seriously ppl, whats wrong with a larger recovery arch for ppl that have the basic knowledge and want to get into swooping. I have a much higher aversity against the stiletto hooks @ LOW i see all the time.

I was so glad i got the katana, I started to turn MUCH higher and you have more time to adjust your turn or to abort it.

/rant :P

Tylor

in response to this I re-recommend the 149 crossfire over the 139...

it will serve you well in the long run.

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.