mar.rei

JVX 69 - can someone tell me anything about the opening? Someone out there who fly this size of canopy?

I've jumped/owned a variety of JVX sizes, they don't search like a Velo, they can snivel or crack you depending on a wide variety of variables. Bottom line; jump a high performance parachute, expect high performance openings. If you have a lot of gear on your head I would stay away from any x-braced.

I've jumped/owned a variety of JVX sizes, they don't search like a Velo, they can snivel or crack you depending on a wide variety of variables. Bottom line; jump a high performance parachute, expect high performance openings. If you have a lot of gear on your head I would stay away from any x-braced.

many thanks for your answer!

had you the JVX in zeroP or in all sail?
do you know something about the differents between them in the inflation
Skydivezone.at

I own only full sail, and it has been about 5 years since I jumped a zero-P JVX. So I can't really make the comparison with respect to inflation. I would not recommend going to a full sail JVX if this is going to be a regular skydive parachute as packing is a pain in the ass, and the pack volume is significantly larger. This is not a regular skydive parachute and should not be treated this way.

I call bullshit on this one!

I have over 1000 camera jumps on a jvx using digital stills with a sigma 10-20mm = heavy.

i have never had a sore neck from it, it was my heatwavew 120 that gave me a sore neck = non crossbraced.

Crossbraced canopies have semi closed noses and if in trim and packed reasonable should not open hard.

JVX's have huge sliders and they open really nice.

Plenty of people use cross braced canopies for camera and plenty of people have no trouble.

All sail i cannot vouch for, but i have had a hybrid and the packing should not take any longer unless you are using an RDS.

I almost trash pack mine, not quite because i make sure the slider is not sticking out and the tail is clear but otherwise i simply quarter the slider.

it inflates nice.

How many cmaera jumps do you have to make this conclusion?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I would not recommend going to a full sail JVX if this is going to be a regular skydive parachute ....

WHERE IS THE BIG DIFFERENT BETWEEN ALL SAIL AND ZEROP FABRIK BESIDE BIGGER PACKVOLUME DURING THE OPENING AND FLIGHT?
I THOUGHT THE NEW FABRIC ARE THE MOST IMPROVEMENT ON THE FLIGHT CHARACTERISTIC.

BECAUSE OF MY WIGHT I´M LOOKING FOR A JVX IN SIZE 69 OR MAX 74 SQF SO THE PACKVOLUME ON THE ALL SAIL WOULD BE NOT THE PROBLEM.
Skydivezone.at

Almost time to move this thread to gear and rigging......

BTW: Please turn off your caps.

Most Riggers tend not to know anything about these types of canopies. Leave it for the swoopers if you would :)
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Here is an opening, it ended up with a tention knot and I had to cutaway, but you wanted to see the inflation and the inflation is great, it is not until the slider is down that anything abnormal happens...
aside form the tention knot, most of my JVX openings (on 3 different sizes) have been like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBr5OW3LT0I

You can see it does not snivel long, and des not search.

I beleive the tention knot was due to my packing, I ran my fingers up the line groups and was distracted, I put the canopy down, I came back to it and continued without running my fingers up the lines again...

I have only cutaway a JVX this one time!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Here is an opening, it ended up with a tention knot and I had to cutaway, but you wanted to see the inflation and the inflation is great, it is not until the slider is down that anything abnormal happens...
aside form the tention knot, most of my JVX openings (on 3 different sizes) have been like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBr5OW3LT0I

You can see it does not snivel long, and des not search.

I beleive the tention knot was due to my packing, I ran my fingers up the line groups and was distracted, I put the canopy down, I came back to it and continued without running my fingers up the lines again...

I have only cutaway a JVX this one time!

THIS OPENINGS ARE LOOKING REALY GOOD.
MANY THANKS TO YOU FOR THE GREAD VIDEO.

ARE YOU JUMPING A zeroP OR A ALL SAIL JVX?
Skydivezone.at

there are others more qualified than me to comment but I would say a sail jvx opens no different from a zp. the difference is you do not buy a sail jvx and load at 2.2:1 - they are usually up around 2.7 or even higher and with that you will have more "high performance" openings more often. I would say at those high loadings you do not want any extra gear on you head or anywhere else. eventually you will have a violent spinning mal and have to deal with it. just common sense.

there are others more qualified than me to comment but I would say a sail jvx opens no different from a zp. the difference is you do not buy a sail jvx and load at 2.2:1 - they are usually up around 2.7 or even higher and with that you will have more "high performance" openings more often. I would say at those high loadings you do not want any extra gear on you head or anywhere else. eventually you will have a violent spinning mal and have to deal with it. just common sense.

but what should i do. i´m not tall and have not much wight. It is just a small sizestep between a velo 75 and the JVX 69 but i would be sure that the canopy have better openings as the velo like the company homepage promis. at the end... i havnt order already a JVX! I still have possibilities, have time the make a decision and do think about it.

Anyway, thank you very much for your reply!
Skydivezone.at

There are better canopies out there for normal fun/work jumps when you have a camera strapped to your head. It's important for working camera fliers (tandem or 4-way) to be able to make the next load. Anytime you fly such a high performance canopy you know the chances for malfunctions are increased.

You're probably barking up the wrong tree with the JVX

Bottom line; jump a high performance parachute, expect high performance openings. If you have a lot of gear on your head I would stay away from any x-braced.

I would not recommend going to a full sail JVX if this is going to be a regular skydive parachute as packing is a pain in the ass, and the pack volume is significantly larger. This is not a regular skydive parachute and should not be treated this way.

I have about 50 video jumps on a all zp jvx75 shooting video with some being with a full rds set up. I put 300 video jumps and 100 aff jumps on my all sail jvx69 and only had two funky openings, which were because i didnt pay attention to the slider positioning. At least 100 of the 400 on the all sail jvx69 were with an rds, some paraconcepts, the others on a custom scott roberts slider. Also have about 100 video jumps with an all sail jvx63. Only 30 of them with a full rds. I stopped jumping my all sail jvx63 as a work canopy and have turned it into just a hop n pop canopy with a full rds set up. My normal exit weight with camera gear is 180 to 185. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I dont mind sharing. My personal opinion is that you jump a bigger velo, or bigger all zp jvx, or a neos. I think the neos is a fun work canopy and has very nice openings. I have a couple videos up on my facebook of all the canopies i have mentioned here. Search Shane Shaffer. Hope this helps you some. Also I highly recommend the new UPT dbag that only has two rubber bands stow and then you free stow the rest of the line. Improved the openings of the velo 10 fold for me.

I have about 50 video jumps on a all zp jvx75 shooting video with some being with a full rds set up. I put 300 video jumps and 100 aff jumps on my all sail jvx69 and only had two funky openings, which were because i didnt pay attention to the slider positioning. At least 100 of the 400 on the all sail jvx69 were with an rds, some paraconcepts, the others on a custom scott roberts slider. Also have about 100 video jumps with an all sail jvx63. Only 30 of them with a full rds. I stopped jumping my all sail jvx63 as a work canopy and have turned it into just a hop n pop canopy with a full rds set up. My normal exit weight with camera gear is 180 to 185. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I dont mind sharing. My personal opinion is that you jump a bigger velo, or bigger all zp jvx, or a neos. I think the neos is a fun work canopy and has very nice openings. I have a couple videos up on my facebook of all the canopies i have mentioned here. Search Shane Shaffer. Hope this helps you some. Also I highly recommend the new UPT dbag that only has two rubber bands stow and then you free stow the rest of the line. Improved the openings of the velo 10 fold for me.

Thank you very much for your reply!
Skydivezone.at