dmcculloch

Are some people Just not meant to Skydive?

Hi guys. I am new to the sport of Skydiving. (still doing my AFF) and my last 2 jumps haven't been that good during freefall and exit. Under canopy I am doing quite well and landing really close to my mark, except for my solo where I had to find another landing area due to too long downwind (but my landing was still good and I was happy I could find another landing area and do what I needed for a safe landing).
So I was wondering if anyone has encountered people who are really just not meant to do this. My problem is i am usually quite uncoordinated and keep turning when I try to fall still. My last 2 AFF videos are here
AFF Stage 5 - http://youtu.be/25imV8gyqA8
AFF Stage 6 -http://youtu.be/n3d27IqY0Xk

I am having a bit of time off about 2 to 3 weeks, due to work and a pooch just out of surgery so am trying to reflect and fix my issues before I get back to it. But havin a bit of doubt of my abilities and if some people are just not meant for this sport.
Thanks.

Give yourself a break, those don't look that bad.

You need to do two things, and relaxing is one of them. It's tough to do, especially when things start to go wrong, but you need to focus on relaxing and doing the second thing, which is work on your body position.

Look at your videos, your arms and legs are almost straight out. What this does is require you to keep them striaght out to keep a balanced body position.

Your straight legs balance your straight arms, and if you try to move your legs, you lose that balance. Vise versa for moving your arms, if you bring them in your straight legs will over-power your upper body and throw you off balance.

Try to relax. Push your hips forward into a nice arch. and keep a little bend at both your knees and your elbows. If you feel unstable, push into the arch and check your altitude. If you're above pull altitude, relax because there's nothing to worry about, and if you're at pull altitude, just pull. In either case, you won't be unstable anymore.

Just keep at it. You've shown enough promise that you've passed 6 levels, and that's pretty good. Most jumpers have a 'breakthrough' somewhere between 5 and 10 jumps where they figure out the trick to both relaxing and holding a good body position. You still have 4 jumps to go before you're 'behind the curve' and even then, who cares?

Just because you can't perform perfectly in free fall with less than 10 jumps doesn't mean you're not meant to skydive. Go get some tunnel time to 'perfect' your free fall skills if that bothers you.

If you can't perform under pressure, make decisions when it matters or are in other ways danger to yourself or others, then you're not meant to skydive, but not because you can't perfect your free fall with less then 10 minutes total spent doing it.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Dave's an instructor. I'm not. He's already given you feedback about your body position. My feedback is more general. There are people that should not be skydiving. Based on your videos...you are not one of them, not even close. You are physically fit, alert and serious about learning. You are doing well under canopy. Once you quit imitating a 4x8 sheet of plywood (relax, bend the knees, etc.) it's going to be much easier.

Just because you can't perform perfectly in free fall with less than 10 jumps doesn't mean you're not meant to skydive. Go get some tunnel time to 'perfect' your free fall skills if that bothers you.

Would love to be able to get tunnel time but unfortunately we dont have a wind tunnel here in WA that I am aware of :( not to worry just get more jumps to get it right :)

Would love to be able to get tunnel time but unfortunately we dont have a wind tunnel here in WA that I am aware of :( not to worry just get more jumps to get it right :)

you're doing fine mate, once you get your A licence, come on down to York and play in the Bigger plane;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I was in your shoes a few years ago... Had a backsliding spin of death, once I even helicoptered so bad the AFF-I with me had to get UNDER me (because I was going so slow by that point) and steal my air, then tackle me (by having me fall into him) to grip me again. It took me 3 or 4 tries to get past level 4. I had a dedicated instructor that wouldn't let me sit out for a morning and practice packing, he put me on the first load and wouldn't give up on me even when I was starting to doubt myself.

Some how, during one of those jumps, it 'clicked' and I relaxed, everything fell into place.

Here I am, a few years later, an AFF-I. Let me tell ya, I almost threw in the towel, but I'm glad I stayed with it.

What Dave said is all true, its all about relaxation and that includes relaxing your arms/legs. We've all been there at some point or another. You'll quit flying like a sheet of plywood and once it happens, you will wonder why ya didn't get 'it' before.B|

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

In answer to the question titling this this thread, yes I have met some people who just shouldn't skydive.

Judging by the two videos you've posted, you are not even close to that. Relax your arms a bit, push with your legs a bit, and breath. Everything else will fall into place.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Fun videos... I don't see any reason why you cannot keep skydiving and having fun. I have seen a few people who should not skydive, but you are not one of them.

As already said, your body position is less than perfect, specifically your hands and legs are stuck nearly straight out, but something you can fix. I thought I would share a photo I found on the internet, as photos say 1000 words.

Look at your body position.

Then look at these "pros"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31261446@N07/3691297785/

The airspeed guys have booties on their feet, so they have bent their knees more than you will need to, so your goal should be to split the difference between what is on your video and what you see in this photo.

The one in Seattle is complete, I understand. and I hear it's a little pricey though

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

To answer your question(s) succinctly:

Yes - I have encountered people who are clearly not meant to Skydive.

That said...

Absolutely nothing I see, indicates to me that you are one of those!

Great feedback and advice (and observations) have already herein been posted for you. No need for me to be redundant. So... Just get back out there with that GREAT attitude you already clearly seem to have, RELAX and enjoy it!! ...You'll git-er-done! B|

Cheers,
-Grant

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Fun videos... I don't see any reason why you cannot keep skydiving and having fun. I have seen a few people who should not skydive, but you are not one of them.

As already said, your body position is less than perfect, specifically your hands and legs are stuck nearly straight out, but something you can fix. I thought I would share a photo I found on the internet, as photos say 1000 words.

Look at your body position.

Then look at these "pros"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31261446@N07/3691297785/

The airspeed guys have booties on their feet, so they have bent their knees more than you will need to, so your goal should be to split the difference between what is on your video and what you see in this photo.

FFS DONT bother worrying about the pics Tdog posted
You are an AFF student and you are not a tunnel baby.:S:S:S
Just do as Pete or Chris, tells you and you'll be fine.
Another tip.
DONT come here for AFF instruction seriously. it's the wrong place. Pete and Chris know what they are doing and will make you a good skydiver.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

In answer to the question titling this this thread, yes I have met some people who just shouldn't skydive.

Judging by the two videos you've posted, you are not even close to that. Relax your arms a bit, push with your legs a bit, and breath. Everything else will fall into place.

+1

ciel bleu,
Saskia