mar.rei

Which cross brace Canopy have the best opening?

are you sure you want a crossbrace ?
you'll have all replies, with all actual crossbraced canopies listed.

My tendancy would be to go to a Crossfire2, because I don't know a canopy with better openings, plus the overall performance of the canopy is pretty good.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I´m jumping right now a Velo 96 but still looking for a cross brace canopy who have a better opening if that is possible?
Maybe Velo have the best opening anyway.
I don´t know
You guys out there have your own experance and maybe have tested alot of different cross brace canopies and can help me to find a better one.

Thx
Skydivezone.at

When I asked the same question over a year ago I got several replies from other camera flyers I know and trust that seemed to say the Xaos 21 is head and shoulders above the rest. The consensous was the Velo is pretty nice too and the Xaos 27 is a bit more unpredictable.

Of these, the only one I have jumped is several different Velos including the two I now own. The openings are soft enough to make me happy but I wouldn't necessarily say that on heading is as consistent.

I am not actually sure what you mean by

...the most silent...

openings.:S

The only folks I know that would like quiet openings are bandit BASE jumpers.;)
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

Hello.
I´m searching a cross brace canopy with a beautiful opening because i´m cameraman.
Do you have a good tip for me?

Which cross brace canopy have the most silent, constat and one heading opening?

Thank you:
Martin

After numerous jumps on the X-braced canopies i realized 1 thing, shit happens no matter what, so ask yourself do want to deal with the most voilent mals on smaller X-braced with cameras on your head?

My resolve was swoop the JVX87.
Use my VX 89 for fun and general jumps.
And bought a crossfire 109 for camera and AFF.

I know a 109 is not huge and docile, but after having a few on the others its alot damn easier to deal with.;)
I Am Sofa King We Todd Did!!

Yeah, the 6 jumps I put on a Neos had great openings. Not too long but very nice. It just sort of vibrated and then blossomed on heading.

I didn't jump it enough for a definitive opinion but I got the feeling it didn't have quite as much "oomph" at the end of the flare as the Velo. Could have been me that was lacking though so ymmv.

Hi!

you can take the XF-15 from Jojowings. It is a 21 Zell with really great soft openings. I´m a cameraman too and i don´t want to have an other canopy.

I heard already alot and only good things about the XF15. I´m looking forward to get a Demo for a weekend but that will need time because not very much Demos on the marked.
Thanks for your reply!
Skydivezone.at

Xaos-21 for best openings. I jump my wingsuit with it.

Xaos-27 is not far behind, but tends to have a bit more shake to it. It's a bit more aggressive and fun to swoop than the 21.

I have thousands of camera jumps on both.

Sensei also opens really nice, on heading, a bit quicker than either Xaos, but not hard. I put 10 jumps on a demo 81 Sensei. The Sensei's recovery arc was significantly shorter than both Xaos's. I did have a few toggle-fires and was easily able to use harness to keep it from spinning until i fixed it.

I prefer the long aggressive dive, so I currently jump Xaos-27's and don't worry about my cameras.

I've also jumped Velo's and VX's. I have not jumped a JVX, Neos or FX.
http://www.exitshot.com

Xaos-21 for best openings. I jump my wingsuit with it.

Xaos-27 is not far behind, but tends to have a bit more shake to it. It's a bit more aggressive and fun to swoop than the 21.

I have thousands of camera jumps on both.

Sensei also opens really nice, on heading, a bit quicker than either Xaos, but not hard. I put 10 jumps on a demo 81 Sensei. The Sensei's recovery arc was significantly shorter than both Xaos's. I did have a few toggle-fires and was easily able to use harness to keep it from spinning until i fixed it.

I prefer the long aggressive dive, so I currently jump Xaos-27's and don't worry about my cameras.

I've also jumped Velo's and VX's. I have not jumped a JVX, Neos or FX.

Can you give me information aboute the difference between the Velo and the Xaos 21 on any kind of maneuver and turns?
Skydivezone.at

Hi,

I suggest a JVX http://www.nzaerosports.com/products/daedalus-jvx

I have a JVX 79 (loaded 2.4)iand it has the best openings!!

I have had a JVX 86 and an 84(hybrid) and they also had nice openings.

My 79 however has a larger slider proportionaly than the 84 and the 86 had.

I just had an RDS made so I know the measurments of the slider, it is 60cm x90cm (23 2/3" x 35 1/2") including the flaps that JVX's have. It 'looks' like a tandem slider, it is great.

The slider is so large that when you flake the slider you flake the canopy, You can essentially trash pack it but I like to give a little attention (5 seconds) to the nose and flake the tail nicely.

The only (uploaded) video I have is a malfunction I had(clicky), it was totally my fault, I checked the brake lines and was disrupted, put the canopy down, and picked it up again a short while later without running my fingers through the lines again.... =tention knot!

But you can see the opening is really nice... until the slider comes down in this case.

That canopy was the 86.

I have only had 3 malfunction/cutaways in my 6000 or so jumps this is the only malfunction/cutaway that I have had on a sport canopy since the maveric 200 I had for my first few hundred jumps.

That mal. (the JVX) was pure packing error/laziness and out of carachter for the JVX but it still does show how nice the opening sequence is up until full inflation, for your viewing.

My JVX79 has the 90cmx60cm (23 2/3" x 35 1/2") slider and it came stock with the canopy from new.

I have over 1000 jumps on a JVX wit video camera, digital SLR wit sigma 10-20 lens +extras = Heavy! I have no problems doing 10 + jumps day like this consecutively with my JVX's, while I see 'Other' cross braced canopy pilots swapping out sliders 'for bigger ones' to get softer openings...

There are others that open well also but The JVX IMHO is the nicest and is the most modern and advanced design HP parachute available today.

happy shopping!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I have a JVX 79 (loaded 2.4)iand it has the best openings

As compared to what other x-braced canopies that you've personally jumped?

To OP: IMO, Neos is the best all around canopy that i have sampled. Especially for a cameraman. I have tried many different JVXs, many VXs, many velos and one Xaos21.

Hi,

I suggest a JVX http://www.nzaerosports.com/products/daedalus-jvx

I have a JVX 79 (loaded 2.4)iand it has the best openings!!

I have had a JVX 86 and an 84(hybrid) and they also had nice openings.

My 79 however has a larger slider proportionaly than the 84 and the 86 had.

I just had an RDS made so I know the measurments of the slider, it is 60cm x90cm (23 2/3" x 35 1/2") including the flaps that JVX's have. It 'looks' like a tandem slider, it is great.

The slider is so large that when you flake the slider you flake the canopy, You can essentially trash pack it but I like to give a little attention (5 seconds) to the nose and flake the tail nicely.

The only (uploaded) video I have is a malfunction I had(clicky), it was totally my fault, I checked the brake lines and was disrupted, put the canopy down, and picked it up again a short while later without running my fingers through the lines again.... =tention knot!

But you can see the opening is really nice... until the slider comes down in this case.

That canopy was the 86.

I have only had 3 malfunction/cutaways in my 6000 or so jumps this is the only malfunction/cutaway that I have had on a sport canopy since the maveric 200 I had for my first few hundred jumps.

That mal. (the JVX) was pure packing error/laziness and out of carachter for the JVX but it still does show how nice the opening sequence is up until full inflation, for your viewing.

My JVX79 has the 90cmx60cm (23 2/3" x 35 1/2") slider and it came stock with the canopy from new.

I have over 1000 jumps on a JVX wit video camera, digital SLR wit sigma 10-20 lens +extras = Heavy! I have no problems doing 10 + jumps day like this consecutively with my JVX's, while I see 'Other' cross braced canopy pilots swapping out sliders 'for bigger ones' to get softer openings...

There are others that open well also but The JVX IMHO is the nicest and is the most modern and advanced design HP parachute available today.

happy shopping!

Thank you for your post.
I can remember on your youtube video.
i have seen it few days before.
Yes the opening is pretty good.
No shaking right left.
Even onheading and opens with constand speed.

Can you tell me where is the different betweek the Sail and the full Sail version?
I don´t understand it!

Thank you very much!
Skydivezone.at

Can you tell me where is the different betweek the Sail and the full Sail version?
I don´t understand it!

Thank you very much!

Hi, the sail material is supposed to give the canopy a more rigid wing once inflated, sail material is usually used by top swoopers to improve thier already long distances and fast speeds.

it adds significant pack volume to your rig and is not necessary for everyday use.

If you have a larger container and reserve and are looking at downsizing then a sail JVX may work but the increase in poack volume is quite significant. Most likely too big for your you container.

I would suggest a ZP JVX, leave the sail cloth until you are competing seriously or are willing to jump a container that is much bigger than usual.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

As compared to what other x-braced canopies that you've personally jumped?

I have owned only aFX and JVX's, I have jumped other peoples velocities, xaos and VX but not enough to commend or dislike. They are all fun to fly and all opened; 'all good', I found the velocties to 'search' a little for inflaton, and the xaos to take a little too long to snivel/inflate, the fx was a little swift at inflating but it was a 'icarus extreme' model so a bit older than most. The vx i jumped opened nice but it had a JVX lineset.

To OP: IMO, Neos is the best all around canopy that i have sampled. Especially for a cameraman. I have tried many different JVXs, many VXs, many velos and one Xaos21.

I have seen at least 2 people swap out sliders on a Neos due to hard openings with camera gear.

I have seen at least 2 people swap out sliders on a Neos due to hard openings with camera gear.

Odd, everyone i know that jumps a Neos says nothing but positive things about it.

I've had 2 JVXs on which openings were downright scary. after a lineset change they were smooth again... I've had the same issue with a Xaos21, arguably the best opening canopy out there... I've heard first hand of velocities that scared their owners on each opening... What i am saying is: there may be bad examples out there.

ALL my JVXs opened fine (except for the ones before the lineset change). Firm and not too harsh, not unlike a regular VX, perhaps softer. But not super soft and snively by any means. Mind you i had RDS sliders on all of them. I think a JVX with a stock slider is a very fine choice for a working video man. But put a removable slider on it and one should be ready for a few occasional surprises and hard openings here and there. Also, due to the offset slider stoppers one may want to rethink hiring your average DZ slacker-packer as JVX needs to be packed with just a bit more care then your regular canopy, even more so with an RDS slider. I know people that would not let any packer touch their stuff.

Odd, everyone i know that jumps a Neos says nothing but positive things about it.

It is true that they were opening hard, but a you mentioned it may have been trim issues, I know the linesets were not factory made or assembled. It was only a couple of months ago.

ALL my JVXs opened fine (except for the ones before the lineset change). Firm and not too harsh, not unlike a regular VX, perhaps softer. But not super soft and snively by any means. Mind you i had RDS sliders on all of them. I think a JVX with a stock slider is a very fine choice for a working video man

I have to agree with you there for sure, I have just installed my new RDS, and the openings are 'swifter'.

The extra large 'pouch' that is created by the wings/flaps on a stock JVX slider is drasticaly reduced on a Removable slider, due to the Corners being cut off.

As I see it, these cut off corners allow airflow onto the bottom skin of the canopy where stabalisers would normally be, the flaps on a stock slider cover more of this area and inhibit inflation from the airflow hitting the bottom skin.

I have used a full RDS on camera jumps before, but do not reccomend it at all.

Have you considered the Sensei?
I have about 40 jumps on mine now and its definately the best opening XB i've jumped.
It doesn't hunt as much as a velo and the speed of the openings is very comfortable.

Some people are saying it has a short recovery arc - in my experience its perhaps a little shorter then a velo but not significantly so.
Its certainly a very fun canopy!
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

I am piggy backing your post to say that my impression of the Neos also involved a somewhat shorter recovery arc than the Velo. Not super short but noticable I thought.

I look forward to the chance to try a Sensei. I am glad you are loving yours.

I agree that the neos is a great canopy for working and is fun to swoop and really responsive. If you arent a serious swooper, as in arent doing canopy piloting competitions, I think a neos would be a great choice. I have been jumping a jvx69 and jvx63, both all sail, doing tandem videos and love the opening, and have had a cutaway on each. Both due to back pack jobs. I personally avoid taking either jvx to terminal if i have a full rds on it just because the openings are quicker. If you decide you wanna go Velocity, I would suggest getting a stowless bag from UPT. It speeds up the first part of the opening and I have had much better openings on Velocitys because of this bag. I believe UPT will be releasing the bag mid. January. The first two stows are rubberband stows, to hold the bag closed, then the rest is stowed in a pocket on the back of the bag.
Just my 2 cents. Good luck finding what you are looking for