dave610

What is a good Helmet?

I am looking at buying my own gear now that I am off student status and would like some suggestions on a good helmet that will last, is comfortable and I can use in freeflying and RW. I am leaning toward a velocity, mostly due to price and I have seen several people with them at the dz, although I have not asked if they like them.
Any suggestions would be great.

dave

.. would like some suggestions on a good helmet that will last, is comfortable and I can use in freeflying and RW.

Define 'good.'

What are you looking for in a helmet?

Mine holds a Pro-Track, shields my face and head from the winter cold and has a visor so I can't forget my goggles. And it'll probably hold my head together if I smash it up good, but it won't actually protect it like some other helmet might. It's a Z1.

If you're serious about protection, get a Protec.

But most people aren't really serious about protection - look around you, they're all wearing something that looks cool. As am I. But for everything apart from max protection, my Z1 serves me very well.

Some people get claustrophobic in it, and some say it blocks some peripheral vision (most full-faces will do that) so it might not be ideal for freeflying.

Fit will affect comfort - try some different models and sizes on before buying.
(There is at least one brand that you can do something like cooking with to get it to fit your head optimal, but I can't remember which, or what you exactly have to do (but it had something to do with cooking it), and don't know how well it works and how much of a difference it makes.)
Johan.
I am. I think.

Fit will affect comfort - try some different models and sizes on before buying.

Helmet design and the shape of your head will affect fit and comfort. The NvertigoX and Hurricane are close fitting and seem to fit those with slim faces best; the Mindwarp seems to fit those with not so slim faces better than some other helmets. Basically, do not buy a helmet without having tried at least one of the same model on first!

Don't count on sizing being the same from one helmet manufacturer to another either. Just because you fit well in a medium Mindwarp does not mean that a medium Hurricane or Velocity will fit you too.

(There is at least one brand that you can do something like cooking with to get it to fit your head optimal, but I can't remember which, or what you exactly have to do (but it had something to do with cooking it), and don't know how well it works and how much of a difference it makes.)

That's the Mindwarp. First be sure you have the right size, then follow Bonehead's instructions for "baking" it. The "thermofit" liner will soften up when heated; put it on your head while it's toasty warm and the liner will mold to your exact head shape. Makes for a very personalized helmet fit.

Define 'good.'

What are you looking for in a helmet?

Good, as in something that I will be able to use in a variety situations, i.e. freefly and RW, won't crack if I drop it or crash in it, and is comfortable. I know comfort will depend on fit and the my head shape, but I am looking for other's opinions.
I will definately try on and jump in as many styles and makes as I can before I buy anything. All I have jumped in is a protec and a frap hat, and didnt like the frap hat. I was only thinking "fashion over function" by all means you have to look cool, but don't want to buy anything that is known for being a piece of crap.
Thanks for all of yall's advise.
dave

I have 2 Pro Tecs

1. Set up for sidemount video and top mouint stills.

2. For all other types of jumping.

I sacked my frappe hat due to lack of protection, and not because it made me look like Chubby Brown (fat British comedian http://www.chubbybrown.com/wallpapers.asp)

The protec offers better protection than most helmets, but I feel there is a stigma attached to it due to it being used by students. Gath helmets look worse than protecs and offer less protection, but they were THE freefly helmet in the UK for some time.

I am waiting for my Flat Top Pro, then I will use Pro Tec 1 when dispatching students, aerial critiques, FF and probably POV on FS jumps.

I would probably buy a full face if i could pick up a cheap one that I could wear with my geeks, but then I would only wear it during the winter season.

I have seen a number of helmets and if you don't want a Pro Tec, then I can recomend any Bonehead helmet. They are certainly superior to any other helmets i've seen on the DZ.

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

for full face I prefer the bonehead boomerang its stronger and more comfortable than the Z1 and the factory diver.

If you have a big head, don't go for the Z1 they only know how to do small even if it says X-Large it is still small.

For open face I prefer a protec (good price and kinda good protection) or a bonehead mindwarp (the new one has internal ditter protection).

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

I know people have mentioned snowboarding helmets as alternatives. Does anyone have any advice on that? I have a snowboarding helmet but I want a new one because mine is pretty dorky. However, I've noticed a lot of snow helmets now don't cover the ears (or the ear covering is soft). Would this present a problem for skydiving?

The protec offers better protection than most helmets, but I feel there is a stigma attached to it due to it being used by students.

(At least) 2 people who stood on the podium receiving medals at Nationals last year had won them while wearing Protecs!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Phree... I never thought I'd disagre with anything you wrote!

I just don't see how a protec can be considered to offer more protection than a composite helmet. I suppose you could say that the thickness of foam 'decelerates' your head when it hit an object... I'm just not convinced though.

I believe there was a thread on BLiNC that discussed experiences with different helmets for BASE, and the relatively thin plastic shell of the protec got literally ripped open upon hitting an object *much* easier in comparison to composite helmets such as the Bonehead.

And not to be pedantic but, by definition (well... mine at least) a full face helmet will offer more protection than an open face, so a protec can't possibly offer more protection than 'most' helmets.

- Andrew

>I just don't see how a protec can be considered to offer more
> protection than a composite helmet.

My protec offers far more protection than my factory diver, FP1 or A3. It's in the padding thickness and strength of the outer shell.

I once pulled a student out of a smoking cessna. A piece of the plane had gone through his protec, through the foam, and into his head, but little enough so he just had a scalp wound. Had that been a factory diver i think it would have shattered, and either decelerated his head too much or let the piece a lot farther in.

>And not to be pedantic but, by definition (well... mine at least) a full
> face helmet will offer more protection than an open face, so a protec
> can't possibly offer more protection than 'most' helmets.

Against getting kicked, quite true. But if you are ever in a really serious accident, a full face may have to be pulled off your head to ensure an airway, possibly leading to head, neck and spinal injuries. A protec can be left on. This may have saved the spine of a friend of mine a few years back.

The fact of the matter is that we will never know for sure. Pro-tec helmets are proven against rigorous standards, "skydiving" helmets are not.

We can only look at the materials used in manufacturing, and guess.

I would question not the thickness of the foam in skydiving helmets, but the density of the foam. Pro-tec helmets have a very firm foam, you can not squeeze it easily between two fingers. Every skydiving helmet I've seen has very "squeezable" foam, to the point that your thumb and forfinger nearly touch when you squeeze it.

Pro-tecs have gone through years of consumer safety reviews, independent tests, and government regulation to ensure they're safe.

Skydiving helmets have neat places to attach your video camera, a handy windscreen to keep the wind out of your face, and sure do look purdy.

For the record, I jump a Z-1 and a Velocity from Skydance Photography.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

The fact of the matter is that we will never know for sure. Pro-tec helmets are proven against rigorous standards, "skydiving" helmets are not.

ProTec's are tested to CE 1385 as stated in the "AIR" page of their site.

http://www.pro-tec.net/flash.htm

CE 1385 is a standard for PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) specifically "Helmets for canoeing and white water sports".

http://europa.eu.int/comm/enterprise/newapproach/standardization/harmstds/reflist/ppe.html

An explanation of the standard can be found here.

http://www.happy-2b.com/news/ce.html

I appreciate these standards are forc anoeing and white water sports, but they are reasonable. The following make no mention of their helmets meeting this or any other standards.

2K Composites
Airventures Inc
Arrow Dynamics
Gath Head Gear
Head Hunter Helmets
Headfirst Headwear
Parasport Italia
Sky Systems
Skydance Photography
Bonehead Composites

Most helmets that I have seen carry some form of disclaimer stating that they are not designed to provide certain types of protection.

I really need to get out more

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Most helmets that I have seen carry some form of disclaimer stating that they are not designed to provide certain types of protection.

Most carry a disclaimer stating that they don't provide any kind of protection and are not suitable for skydiving.;)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

For what it's worth, wheather you agree/disagree with protec helmets and other brands, there is a safer alternative for those who like protecs and want more protection. I believe the company is called AeroOregon and they make a foam system that is designed to fit into Protec and Cascade helmets that far exceeds any of the foams you currently find in helmets. It's the only way you can wear a protec/cascade helmet while conducting military operations and it does work and is comfortable. I believe the foam kit costs about $40 and it is easy to install although I recommend you use some shoe-goo to glue in trouble areas.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I use my ski helmet as my open face...I started that as a student, because I have realy big head :) and could not get ANY of the protects they had on! I use a beori full cover racer, rated to 60mph+...actualy offers better protection then most skydiving helmets, and is realyrealy comfortable..only 2 problems with it, no place to attach my pro-track, and it can get kind hot in the summer.

I would VERY STRONGLY caution against using the beanie style half helmets favored by most snowboarders these days. the way they are designed there is a large (1 to 2 inch) lip all the way around the head, which could easily get caught on opening...

"You can blow your nose, and you can blow your friends, but if your wife buys too many pairs of shoes, your head could explode."

I appreciate these standards are forc anoeing and white water sports, but they are reasonable. The following make no mention of their helmets meeting this or any other standards

That's because skydiving helmet manufacturers can't afford to conduct the testing. Well, they could probably do it, but most people think skydiving specific helmets are too expensive as is...

Gotta remember, skydiving is a MUCH smaller sport than snowboarding, canoeing, kayaking, etc. I'm sure if Boneheads sold as many helmets per year as Beori does not only would the Mindwarp meet safety standards it would also be lower priced.

I was able to track down the web site for the padding I spoke of earlier. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and the liner and specs can be found. The liner really rocks and is WAY better than any of the liners you get in skydiving helmets full or open face.
http://oregonaero.com/p77_2001.html#skydive

They also make a liner for full face helmets as well, a Z1 is pictured but they can do any helmet.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING