Greig474

Daedalus XFS

Hey guys, I am considering buying a Daedulus XFS (previously called the GLS). I have read all i can find about this canopy in previous threads but there seemed to be a lack of people who had actually jumped one. Previous posts on this canopy were a couple of years ago so I was wondering if there are more people who have since jumped it and can now give feedback.

I need a new skydiving canopy and i have been going back and forth on choosing a crossfire or katana, but the XFS could be exactly what i am looking for as i want a good ground launch canopy as well.

Any advice/feedback is appreciated

http://www.daedaluscanopies.com/GLSXF.htm

Not many of them out there for sure. Basically the XFS is a Crossfire II with some modifications. Cross Bracing on the End Cells only and Hybrid Sail Material options for the topskin.

I was considering getting one until I sold my second RIG. I jump a JVX and love it, but that is an entirely different wing. It is not a GL Canopy. If you want that get the GLX.

I'm sure you'll be happy compared to a Crossfire II or Katana. If you get an XFS please post how you like it.

Hey Just noticed you live in New Zealand.........why not take a weekend and go to the factory ???

I have one and love it. Openings are nice and soft, thing is great fun to fly. Mine is sail material on the topskin, and the thing just keeps going. My swoop distance improved dramatically over a crossfire2.

Packing is a bit more difficult though. The sail material is bulkier, so for the same size bag it's a tight fit.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

Packing is a bit more difficult though. The sail material is bulkier, so for the same size bag it's a tight fit.

know what's kind of funny, i tried to pack nick's all sail jvx 63 into my rig made for a velo 96 that had a huge logo on the bottom, and the 63 was not even close to fitting in the rig. just made me laugh a little bit when you said "packing is a bit more difficult...":P
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

How many jumps on the sail material and how are they holding up?????
and how is the opening compare to crossfire??

this could be my answer to downsize without getting another container....

i'm guessing full sail xfs will pack atleast two sizes bigger???
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

the 63 was not even close to fitting in the rig.

My buddy has an all-sail, and his is damn hard to pack. I think only having the topskin as sail makes it a bit easier. I did cheat and have the first 20 or so packjobs done by a pro to break it in.

How many jumps on the sail material and how are they holding up?????
and how is the opening compare to crossfire??

this could be my answer to downsize without getting another container....

i'm guessing full sail xfs will pack atleast two sizes bigger???

Openings are as good as crossfire. Nice and slow and mostly on heading. Never had a problem.

I have ~200 jumps on it now. It's holding up fine, still looks good. It's not a huge number of jumps, though.

I'd say your estimate of pack volume is about right.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

i tried to pack nick's all sail jvx 63 into my rig made for a velo

Doesn't PD sponsorship agreement specifically mention "no touching of and preferably not even looking at" any "competing" canopies? You can try explaining to Al that it wasn't for you, and that you were just packing it for Nick... but i think it's time to kiss your sponsorship good bye, swoop boy.

i tried to pack nick's all sail jvx 63 into my rig made for a velo

Doesn't PD sponsorship agreement specifically mention "no touching of and preferably not even looking at" any "competing" canopies? You can try explaining to Al that it wasn't for you, and that you were just packing it for Nick... but i think it's time to kiss your sponsorship good bye, swoop boy.

Frost, If PD will let shit like this go on (see pic attatched) then i think Stu is more than good.:D:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

DING

We have a winner folks. This thread is now officially over.

why, because the tangent about another company and an irrelevant point was backed uo by a silly picture?

This thread is about a new canoppy from the manufacturer that continues to dominate sport parachute deign.

hijacked by pd lovers talking about an irrelevant subject.

would you care to explain what you meaned by;

We have a winner folks. This thread is now officially over.

Seemed like some 'in crowed' joke and a waste of bandwidth to me?

The xfs is a great canopy, not very well understood, but a great canopy.

especialy if someone is into ground launching!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

why, because the tangent about another company and an irrelevant point was backed uo by a silly picture?

Or maybe because you have lost your sense of humor in the last few days?

This thread is about a new canoppy from the manufacturer that continues to dominate sport parachute deign.

That's why we see the XFS "dominating" the amateur swoop competitions?

Seriously, it was a joke.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Or maybe because you have lost your sense of humor in the last few days?

Nah, i have a great sense of humor, just can't get my head around what was so funny or relevant to the discussion.

That's why we see the XFS "dominating" the amateur swoop competitions?

No?:S, its why NZaerosports 'is' more than a decade ahead of PD, in design.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

some people just don't get it...

hijacked by pd lovers talking about an irrelevant subject.

YES! this forum is controlled and moderated by PD lovers. We all know that PD has lured in all the best pilots with their lucrative sponsorships, so now they are recruiting the forum readers too. Of course. It makes sense. Didnt you get your PD sponsorship offer in the mail yet?

would you care to explain what you meaned by...
i have a great sense of humor

Well.. if the joke has to be explained... then no, you dont have a sense of humor. And that sucks for you, really.

No?, its why NZaerosports 'is' more than a decade ahead of PD, in design

now i've got to ask, why do people think nzaerosports is so far ahead in development? is it cause jim says so or have people gone to all the manufactures and on to their design computers and looked at all the files and saw the scientific data that proves one is "10 years" of any one else? what makes people think that PD, or any other manufacture for that matter, doesn't also have more advanced parachutes just sitting there on the shelf? seems kind of silly to me but go ahead with this banter.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

Not many of them out there for sure. Basically the XFS is a Crossfire II with some modifications. Cross Bracing on the End Cells only and Hybrid Sail Material options for the topskin.

I was not aware that the XFS had cross bracing on the end cells. Is this confirmed? When I spoke with Daedalus about his canopy there was no mention of cross bracing. They basically mentioned it was the same canopy as the XF with different materials.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

doublecheck with them, but I beleive this is the case.

Harry, i believe one of the first gl specific canopies did in fact have crossbracing on the outer cells but the XFS was designed to be a skydiving specific wing based on the crossfire II design and trim with sail material either on the top or full sail.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

That sounds promising, so were you jumping a crossfire 2 of the same size before you got your XFS?

Also is there anyone out there who has ground launched it in no wind? if so how easy was it?

thanks to everyone who has given feedback so far

Correct, I loved my xfire2 109 and wanted to push my swooping a bit without going crossbraced or downsizing. I jump them both currently.

Here is a Classified ad from a few months ago.

For Sale: Brand new Daedalus GLS 109
Price: 2000 USD

Shipping: Buyer Pays Shipping

Brand new, less than 100 jumps. Sail topskin, black and white. HMA lines. Perfect condition. Bought for $2200 less than a year ago. This is a superior swooping canopy -- my swoops instantly gained 200-300 feet versus my crossfire2 109. Taxman is bending me over, gotta sell it. My loss is your gain.

Makes me wonder... where is this swoop wonder that instantly gains 300 feet by switching canopies? because he can probably chime in and confirm that maybe it IS the canopy and the superior technology 10 years ahead of its competition and NOT the pilot in control that make the difference.

now i've got to ask, why do people think nzaerosports is so far ahead in development?

because PD has not released any significant improvement in design of high performance canopy in a decade?

NZerosports developed the VX before the velocity was released, the JSX has been flying for about 6 years, and the next generation again is already there.

there has been talk from PD a few years ago about 'Z braced'Technology, which Nzaerosports had already developed and they continue to push the boundries with design.

When the JFX comes out, not too far away, otwill be a good comparison to the velocity as it will be a 7 cell high performance canopy (not made for CRW).

I have been told(will not tell) about new fabric being developed...

what has PD done? the optima, cool we all need those (not joking i'm buying one) butin mains? the storm? haha why dont they use crossbraces if they are going to load up over 2.2? what is the point of falling out of the sky when you could fly?

How do you suggest PD is not 10 years behind?

do you think the velocity would be where it is today without JYRO's brain and thought processes?

honestly do you think it would be?