hparrish

When to migrate to 450's & 720's

I'm pretty dialed in on my 270's and seem to get as much distance on them as anyone else at my DZ gets even on bigger turns.

When did those who have moved on to 450's and 720's do so and why?

I know the obvious answer is more speed but at what point is it a good idea. Ex....after 1000 270's???

it's no different than moving from double fronts to 90's, to 180's, to 270's. you do so when you're safe with what you're doing now, can hit your gates/target 10/10 times, and have maxed everything out. the main difference however is it's harder and harder to hit the gates/target with good power doing a bigger and bigger turn. for example i've done quite a few 810's but my ability to hit gates with the power i want consistantly isn't there, so i stick with the 450 for now.

there is never an instance where some one should say "ok at 500 jumps i can now do a 270, and 1000 jumps later i'll move on to a 450's". jump numbers don't matter as much compared to how much time in the harness is devoted to developing the skills necessary to survive to the next step. but if someone is in doubt of the next step or if they should move on to the next step then they should seek a qualified coach.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

There are a few reasons why I like bigger turns:
It is easier for me to keep the a/s once I got it
It is harder to be accurate, compared to something smaller, and so I like the challenge.
Mostly I like seeing the world spin around a lot, and also the feel of throwing something big and from higher up. After doing bigger turns once I went back and did some 270s they just felt like nothing, it didn't feel like i was turning enough. I dont compete but if I were to I might stick to what I know better, like a 450....YOU will know when you are ready....

I stuck to 270° till it was evident that I couldn't go farther. Most of my 270is were still much better than most of the 450ers, 630ers out on the field. I am working on 450° now to try and get that extra power that is needed to be up in the top 10.
Not that with the 270 I wasn't but for sure I couldn't have done any better especially in distance so my advice is:
Stick to a 270° until you are sure that you are it's limit then walk on.