Sangi

Books / DVDs about swooping

Just a quick question: are there any books / DVDs that specifically teach about the art of swooping (for a person who has practically little to no knowledge about this discipline)?

Cheers
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

First off, that other post was awesome. I thought it might have been a link to Brian Germains book, but the way he used that 'tinyurl' thingy led me to believe otherwise. Funny stuff, but also appropriate.

One of the problems with swooping is that alot of people who aren't ready to swoop want to do it anyway. The other problem is that everyone gets 'ready' to swoop at different rates. Some guys get it with 300 jumps, and other guys take 500. Some guys with 1000+ jumps should never swoop.

When you combine that with the inherent dangers in swooping, it's not hard to understand why nobody wants to publish a 'how to' book or DVD.

What you do is this - read Brian Germains book, study aerodynamics, seek out canopy control courses, and find a mentor. That's how you learn to swoop.

Typical DZ.com reply..

It's funny how everybody automatically comes to the assumption that if someone is asking "how" something is done, he/she will do it... Ya know, some people just want to know more, but not necessarily do it straight away..

Davelepka > yeh I reckoned Brian Germains book would be best.. I was just wondering if there was any material which would educate directly about this discipline..

:)

"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

In addition to davelepka's advice, I would also say that all the drills on the "downsize checklist" also help newer jumpers get a feel for how the canopy responds to various control inputs (swooping being a combination of knowledge and feel/experience).

The other drill which can never start too early is to practice flying a repeatable pattern and landing with accuracy - this will help HUGELY when it comes to setting up for a HP landing.

Typical DZ.com reply..

It's funny how everybody automatically comes to the assumption that if someone is asking "how" something is done, he/she will do it... Ya know, some people just want to know more, but not necessarily do it straight away..

To be fair, if you're going to assume one way or another, the better bet would be to assume that the person asking has intentions of doing something stupid, and most folks would rather not enable that type of situation.

If you are 'just wondering' than not telling you isn't hurnting anything or anyone.

See the distinction?

And let's be fair, if we searched DZ.com we could come up with 20 guys who posted about swooping or higher WLs, who insisted they were fine or not doing anything wrong, only to later either die, end up in wheelchair, or break femurs/pelvis.

I'd rather see DZ.com have a 'typical reply' to certain posts, then to have a 'typical outcome' involving death or serious injury.

As far as you're concerned, learn like everyone else, spend a few years on a DZ, pay attention to what's going on, and seek appropriate coaching.

The "typical DZ.com reply" came from MANY "typical DZ.com outcomes." This is when people ask advice, say they're cool then die, kill others or seriously hurt themselves or others.

Skydiving can not be taught via a book, website or video. This is especially true with swooping. Certain concepts can be taught this way; however, the actual application can not.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."