shah269

Flare height?

Guys very dumb question?
Do all rigs flare at the same height or are they all different?
I'm trying to teach my brain what 10-15ft looks like.
So that if and when I go back I'll know how high to flare.
It is a "feel" thing or is it "Shah flare at X feet and you will be A-OK!"

Thanks in advance!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

10-15 is a general rule but every "canopy" not rig will flare differently depending on what type, loading, size, where breaks are set, length of your risers, etc........... which is why when you have your first reserve ride you need to practice up top if altitude allows. It is a different canopy then you are used to flying. Practice ...... that's what it takes. Talk to your insturctors are your DZ. They watch your landings so their input is way more valuable than asking on the internet.... you will get it :P

Blues

Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Guys very dumb question?
Do all rigs flare at the same height or are they all different?
I'm trying to teach my brain what 10-15ft looks like.
So that if and when I go back I'll know how high to flare.

Thanks in advance!

This is a question for your instructors Shah..!!

but on student canopies, 10-15 feet from the ground is when most AFF courses teach you to flare (when your feet are 10-15 feet from the ground)

This height perception comes with time and jumps, and I struggled with it for the first 10 jumps or so, including several bad landings on AFF.

The trick is to flare higher rather than lower, ALWAYS hold the flare and never let it up once you start it, and be prepared to PLF at all times.

This means practising PLFs, which not all AFF courses teach (mine didnt)

Also, you could find something 10 or 15 feet high that overlooks grass and stand on it to get a feel for what that sort of height looks like.,.

NOte.. I am NOT an instructor so check anything with your instructors before applying it ;)

Guys I'm so dead!
Thank you for the help but i'm dead!
My leg won't be better for another 6 months and so I won't be jumping till the spring. From now till then I'm going to be thinking bout how I screwed up and how to do it right.
But ok....i'll try the ladder thing and talk to my instructor.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

A good flare depends not only on height, but also on the technique and the speed of the flare.

- A flare performed too high can be saved by slowing it down, or even stopping the flare until the canopy sinks to a more appropriate height.
- A flare performed too low MAY be savable if the flare is speeded up - we've all seen people "pop-up" during landing.

Think about it like braking a car to stop at an intersection. How hard you need to brake depends on how far from the intersection you start braking. There is no one "perfect" answer. You need to react to the feedback from your senses and respond accordingly (i.e. fly the canopy all the way to the ground).

Note: I realise that there is a perfect way to extend the glide on HP landings, the above is intended to help the OP land safely.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

aawwwhh- aren't YOU special. I think they just used them for you cause you could never figure it out on your own....

Yea I am kinda "special"..... but like my mom always told me, It doesnt matter how long the school bus is as long as my friends were on there:P:D

Btw I still havent figured it out so whats your point?[:/]B|:D
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

The advice given to me for my first standup landing, and which I now give to students is to flare when things start to look 'normal'. As in, when you're standing on the ground. I've had very good luck in giving this advice to others.

But a flare isn't a flare, isn't a flare, Even on the same canopy. Conditions and canopies all make a difference.
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."

It's most definitely a "feel" thing, there's multiple variables when it comes to flare height.

Best to listen to your instructors, they know what gear/canopy you are flying, what conditions you're landing under and how you are flying.