pinkfairy

Maxing out a lightly wingloaded canopy:

Looks like I'm stuck with a wingload of 1.1:1 for a long time still.

I'm a featherweight of 116 punds without gear and a Pilot 124 that I land easily with or without my 8 pounds weightbelt. I don't really like to go up in more than 18 knts of wind, but it depends if it's very gusty or not, and if the middle winds have a lot of speed or not.

My canopy rides are pretty much the same all the time: I fly a lot in half brakes to allow all the stressed out people to land before me, sometimes I do some spiralling, either on toggles or front risers to get down into the pattern if there's room for me, but mostly I wait out on brakes, I fly a conservative pattern, if I need to shorten my finale, I use double front risers, I also use them to build a little speed for my landing.

Is there anything useful or fun I can do with this canopy if I'm pulling high and have time and space to play with it? Maybe I should start pulling down the slider? Any other suggestions?

I just want to avoid the temptation to buy a 110-ish canopy. :o
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

you have the right idea with the slider. Have you tried to pull it all the way down, then open your chest strap all the way. You will notice quite a bit difference in the flight characteristics. Maybe start for accuracy vs swooping. But i love my pilot so i think you will have some fun with these mods.

Oh theres always something you can be doing with your canopy :)I use is billvons downsizng checklist as a downsizing tool and just some flat out survival skills that I need to keep myself alive in the sport. Lately I have been doing some proximity flying next to my buddy and its been helping me learn what happens when I give my canopys little inputs.

Heres billvons link
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=47

Hi, I'm about 120~125 lbs and I used to fly 139 safire for about 350 jmps.
I don't go up there if it's over 10 kts. I like nil wind, or down wind landings.
I like your approach letting every one land ...
I practiced 90 degree fronts and being accurate on it. Putting a cone, noodle, ball whatever and kicking it on a swoop. I went GL and discovered landing with rears.
These things all happened because I was in an environment that inspired.
When I downsized to a 109 Xfire I was surprised that it wasn't so different especially if it was like 5 kts headwind. I have a feeling at my weight a big difference will be between 89 and 99 canopy sizes. I'm just guessing here, but at our weight the world is different compared to someone who weighs 60 lbs more.
I hope you find something that clicks. Opening higher up and going cross country is fun ....or going somewhere you never flew before...