rdufokker

Tired of running out a fast canopy

Well after a sizeable layoff of jumping, I've gotten back into it. Canopies are the biggest change. I don't have any problem with flaring high or low, but I don't understand why I see some that take a Stiletto and flare it out sliding across the ground and then stop without having to run it out. I seem to flare right at ground level but after I finish the flare I still have forward speed and have to run like hell.

Is it planting the feet and sliding that is sooo important or something else?

BS
Irony: "the History and Trivia section hijacked by the D.B. Cooper thread"

HI
It seems to me that the more speed you are able to generate in your dive then ( if you are bleeding off the energy nicely and not just killing it) you are able to lower the stall speed by a few knots...This might help a little.
Putting your feet on the ground and sliding is taking so much weight off the canopy that it then in return has a much much lighter wing loading and so you have really lowered the stall speed. A lot of the trick of sliding out landings ( not on your butt but on your feet) is playing with your CG, not too far forward and not too far back. Being more back is better because falling on your ass doesn't hurt as much as falling on your grill. Hope this helps

-Blues

For most "need to running out" I'we seen - pelople just stop flying their canopies too early...
Until your canopy is layed on a grass it can give you some holding/stopping power even after your feet on a ground - so fly it!
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

I seem to flare right at ground level but after I finish the flare I still have forward speed and have to run like hell.

Assuming that you're not overloading the canopy for your density altitude (At 5000 feet MSL on a hot summer day that would be over 1.9 for Samurais, 1.7 for Stilettos feet, 1.5 for Monarchs. Spectres are between Monarchs and Stilettos. Subtract about two sizes for sea level) and the control lines are long enough you've yet to get anywhere close to optimal on your control inputs.

Most likely is that you aren't flying the canopy all the way to the ground and are putting weight on your feet too early. Set up for a swoop ending in the pea gravel, keep your feet off the ground, and keep adding input until the canopy won't support your weight. That's how slow you can go.

There are two approaches once you've figured out how slow that is.

The slowest landings on any terrain result when you approach so that you are below standing/walking height. Before the canopy runs out of lift you affect a pitch change which brings you back to ground level and halts its forward progress. You can nearly stop rather small parachutes this way.

On smooth ground (divots will ruin your day here) you can gradually transfer weight to your feet so some weight is borne by the canopy even after it's going to slow to support your full weight. Slide to a stop.

Obviously larger canopies make getting close to optimal less important for a comfortable and graceful landing, although there will be times when you land with a tail wind and it's a good skill to have. Getting it figured out before you have a really small parachute is a prudent move.

HI
It seems to me that the more speed you are able to generate in your dive then ( if you are bleeding off the energy nicely and not just killing it) you are able to lower the stall speed by a few knots...This might help a little.
Putting your feet on the ground and sliding is taking so much weight off the canopy that it then in return has a much much lighter wing loading and so you have really lowered the stall speed.

Approach speed makes no difference in when the canopy stops flying, although it may give you more time to establish altitude below standing/running height which is then converted into deceleration.

People who can't land gracefully straight in or even from half brakes and "need to swoop to get a good landing" don't know how to fly their parachutes unless they're under ragged out old F111 canopies that have lost their flare power.

Well after a sizeable layoff of jumping, I've gotten back into it. Canopies are the biggest change. I don't have any problem with flaring high or low, but I don't understand why I see some that take a Stiletto and flare it out sliding across the ground and then stop without having to run it out. I seem to flare right at ground level but after I finish the flare I still have forward speed and have to run like hell.

Is it planting the feet and sliding that is sooo important or something else?

BS

I slide in on my feet at the end of a swoop so I don't have to run (except at the end of downwind landings where you have to run or at least take some quick steps after the slide). When you start getting more speed from your swoop on smaller canopies, you really can't run it out without some headwind. It takes a little practice -- somewhat akin to riding a skateboard or surfing -- but it will save your knees.

When you feel the lift of your swoop bleed off, gently let your feet meet the ground, then plant them down a bit a keep your balance -- similar to surfing. More importantly, though -- keep flying your canopy. Don't think about it too much -- it comes naturally when you just go for it.

I'm assuming you are swooping, as you should not have to run landing straight in on pretty much anything (assuming into the wind).

Thanks everyone, after reading and confirming what I read with others, I leaned how to slide in on my feet to take the weight off and then finish the flare. Wow what a difference. I was flaring too early before and riding across the ground about 6" above. Boy there is no way to flare hard enough for that last little drop in.

So anyway, I seem to have a handle on it now, thanks for all the help.

Bruno
Irony: "the History and Trivia section hijacked by the D.B. Cooper thread"