Jiggs

Velo: 84/90

Hey all,

Quick question to the velocity pilots out there - especially the ones that are running 84 or 90s

What have been people's experiences on the canopy's that have had the PD lineset revision?
Has the 84 velo had a line set revision in the last 3 years?

The reason I ask, I had 2 velocity 90s that were quite disimillar in how they felt. One was about 3-4 years old (but very few jumps) and the other was less than a year old. Anyway the newer one has front riser pressure that built up more rapidly but seemed to maintain it's speed and power far better than the older canopy. The other one felt like it the riser pressure built up much slower in the dive but seemed to lose power quicker than the newer canopy.

Technique was the same across both canopy's (lets just look at 270's) - deep brake initiation, followed by double fronts, slow turn initiation followed by fast finish aided by a lot of harness.

I believe that there was a line trim change between the two; (P02 vs. P04)?

The reason I ask - I got rid of the older 90 and now have an 84 velo. Strangely enough I can generate more power on the 90 (and strangely more speed) than I can on the 84! I know I have few jumps on the 84 comparatively but it seems like the 84 does not carry the speed through the turn like the 90. (I am not talking about bottom end flare - but it seems like I generate more speed on the large canopy and continue to maintain it!)
I am guessing that my technique is the main issue, but it is a strange feeling to say the least!

Has anyone had any experience on this the transition to an 84? Or

Does anyone know if there was a similar lineset revision for the 84?

Edit: (the 90 is on 500 HMA, the 84 on vectran - maybe 700?)

So the current situation is that I have an 84 and a 90 at the moment, but I need to sell one to pay for a JVX that I am will be using with my 4way team.
I am wondering which one to keep?!?!

Thoughts?
Experiences?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My experience:

I have 500+ jumps on velo 90's
Between 50-100 jumps on velo 84s
I also have around 500+ jumps on VX/JVX sized from 79-95

Thanks!
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

what are you're loadings and what do you intend to do with the canopy (ie competition or 4way)?

most likely the reason you feel the 84 has less power is because you have 50-100 jumps on it and haven't dialed it in. the smaller the canopy the harder it is to maintain the power you have generated. the 84 WILL produce more power, however, the dirtier you are in the harness or with your inputs the quicker your power goes away.

so you have to decide what you're going to do with the canopy before you chose which one you're going to go with.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

I intend to use the canopy for both competition and 4way camera. At the moment my loading without lead is 2.3 (fattened up after stopping gym).

I will get back to a loading of 2.1-2.2 without lead and will run at different loadings for comp:

Probably max loading (and lead) @ 2.4-2.5 for speed
and 2.3 or so for distance and acuracy

For comp - I used to run the 90 with max lead and that would take me upto about 2.3 (which felt fantastic!)

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

you and i load those canopies around the same, and there are advantages and disadvantages with going either way. personally i like my velo's loaded either at 2.1-2.2 OR 2.65+ and that's why i fly a 96 and a 79.

if you plan on staying with 270's and not go to a bigger turn i'd say go with a 90 and here's why. doing a 270 on a 90 vs an 84 you'll be closer to the max speed of the canopy plus it will be a little more versatile for you in competition (ie you can use it for distance and accuracy). in my opinion the 84 comes alive when you do a little bit bigger turn such as a 450.

on the flip side, if you went with the 84 eventually you're technique and skills will improve more just because it's harder to fly a smaller canopy well. a lot of pro's these days train on a really small canopy (ie velo 71) but then fly something a little bigger for competition. the smaller canopies help fine tune the small things you're doing under canopy and makes them apparrent so you can fix them.

so i don't know really which way you should go, but those are my opinions on the 84 and 90. let me know if you have any other questions. also something to think about is what size jvx you're going to get, if you get a small jvx then go with the bigger velo and visa versa.

be safe yo...stu
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

Just an update:

Just got a new lineset from PD so will change the 84 to the current lineset revision in HMA 500 rather than the current 750 Vectran - will be interesting to see how it goes.

I will post an update on how the 84 goes if I can get the reline done next week. Will be interesting to see what the changes are in flight characteristics and what it does to the feel of the 630.

At the moment I am leaning towards selling this one and keeping the 90. I also need to get my RDS back so I can have a proper feel of what is going on.

Also the JVX (sail 79) should arrive next week. ;)

Any preference between the JVX Vs Velo? Recovery arc, overall distance of the swoop from gate entry to the end of your swoop? Which canopy do you like more?? Sorry to throw off the thread a bit but looking for more info on the two before buying one and going away from a XAOS

Thanks

I like all of the canopies! :-)

I am not going to get into brandwar stuff. It is more of a personal preference thing, the big thing I would say is that it feels it is easier to pull the JVX out of a dive if you are low. I think the velo is possibly easier to set up for comp, but with my flying technique is probably better suited to the JVX.

Stu:

Ohh and on the original post - I kept the 90, relined the 84 and got a 79 JVX. The 90 now feels slow but is super easy to get good performance out of, the relined 84 feels pretty good, but she does not like any rough stuff and drops off power fast if I am not smooth (I would have 300-400 jumps on it now).
My JVX (300-400 jumps) feels right to me, but I only run that with a RDS. I am thinking of borrowing buying a small canopy to train on and revert back to the JVX for comp.

Your comments make so much more sense now, then when I read them originally, I get what you are saying - thanks!

And say hello to Scott for me - he fried my brains just before nationals! - Very good info!