AggieDave

Texas Swoop Comps 2009

I have the video that Ian shot on practice day and I have the gate video. Sorry that's all I have. Indian Terry has a couple of pictures from ZA up on his FB, but that's all I've seen.

You're sore? It couldn't possibly be from the HUGE tumbling rolling stop you did on a speed run. Or maybe the non-lifted screaming downwind ZA run...:P

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Dave was nice enough to mark me as a guest since the video camera broke on my speed run, and I was unable to complete the final 2 jumps because of time constraints.

Not that it ultimately would have really mattered I suppose, I put down 3 zeros prior to that B|

ps: You know I owned you in that speed run....stooopid video camera;)

Performance Designs Factory Team

Oh lardy :D

there, corrected it for ya.

Ian Drennan was also on hand completing some competition runs as a guest and also provided free coaching to the other people in the competition

you should have provided Hans with some free coaching, he could have used a zero or two.

P.S. Hey, Al, can we do "guest appearances" at the FLCPA meets? I could have used a couple of those this last season...

Hans, as there isn´t any video, I´ll describe you how it looked like from my perspective.
I´ve been in the main building and thought to myself "Hans is up with the Cessna, let´s have a look". As I went outside spotting the sky I could see you flying the last part of your set-up.
To make it all the way to the pond in time for your landing I would have had to run - impossible with the way my foot felt that moment (you know how hard the soil on the other side of the taxiway is, don´t you), so I kept on walking and saw you initiating your turn while I´ve been closing in on the "taxiway-end" of that treeline.
During recovery you disappeared from my view due to the trees, I couldn´t see the timed part of your run - but I didn´t miss what this was going to be all about...
You flew back into my field of view just after you passed the exit gate at what looked to me like high subsonic speed - I guess we both agree that the runway would have become a problem for granted if you wouldn´t have taken that decision to get this meat missile stopped somehow.
From that moment on it looked like some kind of rolling-and-bouncing-triple-somersault hidden in a fast traveling cloud of dust with single arms and legs sticking out of that cloud/being visible once in a while for brief moments - the very best and most extreme single piece of swooping action I´ve ever seen!

Dan set a new Texas speed record with 2.53sec.

The average MPH through the speed course was 56.59 MPH. WOW that is freaking fast when you think of how fast he needed to travel through the first gates to get this overall average.

Here is a handy calculator to figure speed over distance measured in seconds.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/csgtsd.html

Chris

Thank you everyone for such a great meet at Spaceland this weekend. The scores will be posted in the next couple of days (Haylee is converting them to a nice electronic version for us).

If you weren't there, you missed out on the largest swoop comp we've had in Texas, on the largest swoop park in the world. Simply put, you really missed out if you missed this one.

Outstanding photos! I think that Rob may have video as well as maybe Chuck Akers.

I've never seen or heard of anyone having to address chopping their main on the speed course in a pre-comp briefing. I've never seen anyone do it during a competition. So I didn't cover it in the competition briefing. I didn't even think to cover it. So, now thanks to Dan, the briefing will now be longer.:D

Here are the meet results from meet 3 of the Texas Swoopers.

Thank you to all the competitors (in order of placing):

Greg Windmiller
Jessica Edgeington
Craig Saucier
Shannon Pilcher
Bryan Buechler
Justin Price
Dan Raffaelli
Iurri
Flavio
Michael Shatalov
Cory Kossan
Ivan Buznego
Daniel Carroll
Erika Dufort
Alex “Roo” Kaiserman
John “Bonston” Hartley
Pia McFarland

Next season should have more comps and more comps at SD Spaceland. If your DZ would like to host a Texas Swoopers meets, let me know, but understand that we will only have meets over water.