AggieDave

Texas Swoop Comps 2009

Nice! Glad to see Daniel up top, we all knew he was capable of throwing down some great numbers. I had heard that Kip has been working hard down there also. Very cool to see, have fun!

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

The meet was a complete meet and was literally the best comp that has occurred since I started competing in Texas back in 2003. Everyone had some great runs. Some new Texas records were set and just about everyone had a great time.

You'll have to wait until tomorrow for scores and standings.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Spaceland meet!

Sept 13.

This is going to be a pre-nationals meet, with the same course that the DZ is going to use at nationals. Practice day will be Saturday the 12th and the meet will be Sunday the 13th. Once again the competitor briefing will be at 0800 and wheels up will be 0900.

This is the meet to be at to get to get some practice in before mid October!

Zone Acc. course and fountains.

Alrighty, sorry for the delay, here are the results.

Texas Swoopers Meet #2 (SD Houston)
Overall:

1. Moritz Friess 314pts
2. Justin Price 282pts
3. Hans Paulsen 271pts
4. Dan Raffaelli 263pts
5. Eric Butts 228pts
6. Kenneth "Kip" Snell 181pts
7. Jon "Boston" Hartley 160pts
8. Alex "Roo" Kaiserman 121pts
9. Joey Mire 27pts

Some highlights are that Hans set a new Texas distance record with 510.5ft. Dan set a new Texas speed record with 2.53sec. Moritz also had a distance run with 476.66ft. Zone Accuracy was one of the hardest I've ever seen with a 5-10mph downwind course! Needless to say, everyone had some problems with ZA due to the new rules and the downwind run.

Ian Drennan was also on hand completing some competition runs as a guest and also provided free coaching to the other people in the competition.

The only handy-cap for the mixed meet was that the Pros had to use 5ft gates and everyone else got 10ft gates. This was one of the best competitions I've seen in Texas. Even one flew really well, no one even received a yellow card for the meet and there were some really clean runs. We were only able to complete one round of speed due to the winds gaining in strength to having gusts over the competition limit. Then while monitoring that, the sustained winds grew to over competition limits.

We all enjoyed having Eric Butts showing up, coming out of competition retirement and showing everyone how its done with style.

I just got off the phone with EZ from SD Spaceland. Looks like the Spaceland meet is going to be OUTSTANDING. He is setting up the exact course that will be used at nationals for this meet.

So you will be on the nationals pond, on the nationals courses at the Texas Swoopers meet a month before nationals. If that's not a great warm up and practice meet, I don't know what is.

We will run another mixed meet (pros and am's) with 5ft and 10ft gates. If you're not a "pro" swooper, come on out. This last meet's results should let you know that you don't have to be a pro to be competitive. More then that, its just flat out a LOT of fun!