seanlarose

How do I make competition CP gates?

So here's the situation: Our DZ is hosting the Provincial competition (for all diciplines) this year, and we have decided that we will include canopy piloting (distance) this year. We've never hosted a CP event before, and we are wondering what the best way to build gates is. Keep in mind that they have to be 10ft gates (we're only running intermediate gates seeing as we don't yet have a pond) and we don't have a fancy laser gate syetem, just video and/or the judges watchful eye.

We're worried about striking a balance between having gates that are too flimsy (thus not maintaining a full 10ft) and gates that are too sturdy, and would not give out on the off chance that someone hits them... Could someone with competition experience chime in with what is being commonly used? Thanks in advance.
Sean LR

I would suggest contacting Al Berchtold from Performance Designs.

Not only does he have the information about course materials, but he's run a lot of meets that use 10 ft gates and can probably help you with some judging questions you may have.

To answer your immediate question: The thick pool noodles are typically used as gates.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I will get ahold of Al, but what do you run down the noodles to get them to stand up straight, 1/2" PVC? Our current course is built from 18" high pieces of noodle stood up with 12" pieces pounded in ~6".
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

A 10 ft half inch PVC pipe can be found at any Home Depot for 2 bucks. Slide the pool noodle over it, leaving about a foot and a half of pipe left. Depending on the hole in the noodle, you may have to cut it top to bottom, then put it on the pipe and tape it with duck tape in a couple of spots. Then go measure your course lay out, make holes in the ground and stick the gates in them. Thats about it.

Have someone shoot video inline with the entry gate about 200 feet away. At that distance it won't make much difference if the camera is 5 feet AGL or 10 feet AGL. Assuming the gates are 40 feet apart and the swooper flies through the center then he will get an extra 6" before he verticals. No big deal since I doubt your gates will be exactly 10' high anyways.