Jiggs

JVX all sail questions

Hi all,

I am looking at getting a JVX 79 (in all sail) material for my next canopy. And I was hoping to get some info from people that are currently running this canopy.

1. How does this canopy open at terminal with the normal slider? I.e use it for work canopy?
2. When new - is the material much more slippery / difficult to pack?
3. Does anyone have much expereience packing a 79 into an OJK? (Seems okay but curious - have previously had as large as a sabre 150 in there and the JVX was tight!)
4. In terms of dive - is the sail any different from the ZP version?
5. General performance impressions compared to ZP JVX or hybrid
6. Wear and tear - does anyone really know how well the sail lasts?

I did 6 camera jumps on a friends 79 all sail and it was amazing to fly - it felt so amazing to me and really suits the flying technique I like. I think I prefer it more than my velocities.

Plan is to use the 79 for 4way camera and for comp. (Without weights loading at around 2.3.)

My JVX experience is limited having only flown two previously - a 95 and a 88 I think. So I am curious to hear about the experience of other canopy pilots. Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks!
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

I personally would recommend sail over zp any day. Have about 100 on an all zp 75 and about 25 on an all sail 69. From my limited experience I prefer the all sail opening over the zp. I have been packing both in a mirage mx with the all sail one being tight, but comfortable fit and having all grommets pretty much over lapping. I feel the all sail dives harder and stays in the dive longer then the zp jvx. Also, the all sail jvx 69 floats when in deep brakes where i didnt get that with the all zp jvx 75. For example I was staying up with a person on a sabre2 170 loaded at 1 to 1 and I am loading the all sail about 2.6 to 1, which wasnt possible under the all zp jvx 75. So thats just my 2 cents with my limited experience on the two wings

I started off with a hybrid, mainly because the size that i wanted would have beena little too small for my container in ZP.

i have decided to stick with ZP now as i am not using a rds and not competing, so the extra performence you get from the all sail is kinda wasted on me, especially as i am not using a rds at present. i also like a small container.

if you go to canopypiloting.com it has plenty of information on these subjects.

i find the openings on my zp jvx to be like my crossfire openings.

Good luck and good choice!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I have about 1500ish jumps on an all ZP JVX-80 & I'm a big fan of it as an everyday/work canopy. It floats very well in brakes or risers coming back from a long spot (compared to my Velo 75) and the openings are very good.

Now that the sail material has been on the market for a few years, how is it holding up? I'd really like to fly one to feel the difference, but I don't know if I could justify the extra cost and the pain in the ass packing when on a short call.
Egad, A BASE life defiles a bad age.

I can't answer all of them, but I can answer a few. I have ~500 jumps on an all-sail 83.

For openings, I think it is fine. I used mine as an every day canopy, freefly, RW, camera, whatever. It does open a little brisk for my tastes but definitely workable. I used a para-concepts RDS slider most of the time and it did fine. The stock slider opens a little bit better.

Haven't noticed a difference in packing over the life of the canopy. It is harder to pack than a ZP. I have mine in a J1K and it is (a little) tight there.

On wear and tear, I think it holds up very well. I am a desert jumper and my canopies see a lot of dirt. I would say it holds up better than ZP.

Haven't ever flown a ZP JVX so I can't make a comparison. If you compare it to an appropriately sized Velo, I think the JVX dives a little less, flies flatter in full flight, is easier to hold on heading during opening, and has better rear riser characteristics.

"Holy s*** that was f***in' cold!"

It floats very well in brakes or risers coming back from a long spot (compared to my Velo 75)

I should hope so, since the last time I saw a JVX81 and Velo90 compared, they were the same size, so you are effectively comparing a 3 size bigger JVX to the Velo, of course the bigger canopy will do better in slow flight.

I never could figure out why the JVX sizing is so whacked out. Maybe so they can claim better performance at really high wingloadings when really you can't compare wingloadings based on their stated size, as they are higher than for other canopies out there.

I should hope so, since the last time I saw a JVX81 and Velo90 compared, they were the same size, so you are effectively comparing a 3 size bigger JVX to the Velo,

This has been covered a while back. You cant compare canopies just by laying them on top of each other, there are other parameters involved.

I never could figure out why the JVX sizing is so whacked out. Maybe so they can claim better performance at really high wingloadings when really you can't compare wingloadings based on their stated size, as they are higher than for other canopies out there.

This has also been discussed. Different companies use different measuring methods. PD uses their own, others use a "standard"

Thanks for the input.

I have one on order now!

The canopy seemed as eager as my velocities to enter the dive, but did not continue the dive as much as the velo once the input had stopped.

The rears felt so much more powerful that the velocity - which is a characteristic that I really like.

The canopy feels considerably faster than the 79VX that I have.

Riser pressure was pretty light and openings were excellent.

Will post an update once I chuck another 100 jumps on one. (might also get a ZP one as well)

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

I have an 83 All Sail "new fabric" an 89 All Sail "old fabric" and a 93 ZP.
I think that there are huge differences between the 3 canopies having in the All Sail material a much deeper dive and longer recovery. I personally would stick to the All Sail, the new fabric is awesome!!

What are the differences between "new" and "old" sail fabric?