gubitarr

Anyone have a Video of someone swooping a Nitron or a Nitro?

The profile was almost correct, I jumped the nitron 135 at 46 jumps, coming down from a Triathlon 175.
The Nitron flies and lands absolutely great as compared to the Triathlon! alot of flare, very stable, and not a third as fast or twitchy as what I was expecting.
I was encouraged by one of my instructors to try the canopy. My wing loading on it is 1.3. Even with no wind, I was getting incredible landings! I also took the canopy course this weekend from Luigi Cani and was complemented on my performance. I would recommend this canopy to anyone who likes massive flare power when they land. I did have one really hard opening though from which im still recovering,,, but thats what I get for not rolling the nose.

I would recommend this canopy to anyone who likes massive flare power when they land. I did have one really hard opening though from which im still recovering,,, but thats what I get for not jumping an icarus canopy.

fixed it for ya;)
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

According to some manufacturers, a wing loading of 1.3 for this size/type of canopy is somewhere in between "Advanced" and "Expert". At 54 jumps a pilot can hardly be considered either one. You are about 300 jumps ahead of yourself, moving too fast. Please reconsider your choices, it's in your own best interests.

You're instructors seem to not be doing a good job of trying to keep you in one piece :o

175 to 135: you skipped a size, considered fairly stupid.
135: too small, you need 400 jumps in some countries to even jump a (any) 135. Guess why.
Nitron: again, 400 jumps needed for this canopy, at any size. Guess why.

You may consider yourself an expert skydiver, I consider you a dumb newbie. Don't get hurt too bad and especially DON'T hurt anyone else.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I have seen this and talked to my instructors before jumping it. Both they and Luigi Cani recommended the Nitron as a good choice for my level of experiance. I an not doing low tuns but only straight approaches giving my self at least 10 seconds of full flight before I flare. Coming from a triathlon 175, I have more flare, more control, and much softer landings so I would never consider going back up to a bigger canopy like that with less flare power.
I appreciate your concern but also would recommend you to jump one of these to see for your self. The canopy desends almost as slow as my old Triathlon, and has much more foreward speed and flare power. I think its perfect for my level and I would definately not want to go any smaller.

You may consider yourself an expert skydiver, I consider you a dumb newbie. Don't get hurt too bad and especially DON'T hurt anyone else.

I definately do not consider my self as an expert and I can tell you I was really nervous the first time I jumped it.
The whole reason I took the canopy course from Luigi this weekend was so that he could ether talk me out of it or pursuade me to stick with it which is what he did.
I was really surprised how stable and easy to fly this canopy was so please try one if you have not done so!

Luigi Cani is someone all of us used to look up to, a well known pilot and a respected veteran of the sport with more experience than 99% of people on this forum. With that much experience it is very easy to forget what it's like to downsize from a docile square 175 to a high performance elliptical 135 with 54 jumps under your belt.

It is also a very common thing to hear new jumpers say: "i am only doing straight approaches, i dont do anything dumb, i dont want to swoop, i have good reflexes, i've been racing motorcycles my whole life, studied martial arts, i will not downsize any time soon" etc. etc. I, as most, have heard them all, no need to waste your time trying to justify yourself. It seems you have already found all the reasons and justifications as to why you need a faster canopy. Good for you. I assume you are a grown man and can make your own decisions. It is your life after all.

Just remember, it is not what you do in normal conditions that will cause you to make an error and get hurt. It is what you will do or fail to do in an emergency situation like an off-DZ landing. And also remember that when this happens, people WILL point fingers laughing and saying "we told you so".

Your gonna do what your gonna do, but in the end none of us on this forum have to land that canopy, you do. Main thing is, do you understand the canopy your on and have you maximized it to where your ready to move on. I've been in your shoes and you will only know when it comes time to sink or swim. Heres some things you should think about before you do pick up that new canopy. What do you do when you get cut off in your straight in pattern, how do you judge your outs on long spots, nailing tight landing areas, cross wind landings, finding that sweet spot on the brakes and my favorite, finding canopy stall points. Biggest one in my book is your ability to overtake other people on lighter wing loadings when you downsize. Your moving on up like george and weezy so get ready for the added responsibilities for that pent house in the sky.(had to throw a jefferson's analogy in there, lol) Because if you don't have a good understanding and judgement of what your doing then you endanger other people, and thats not right. No matter what your decision, remember in the end its just you and the earth. Take care and be safe for yourself and others.
It's all fun and games till the ground gets big!

Luigi Cani is someone all of us used to look up to, a well known pilot and a respected veteran of the sport with more experience than 99% of people on this forum. With that much experience it is very easy to forget what it's like to downsize from a docile square 175 to a high performance elliptical 135 with 54 jumps under your belt.

As someone who has handed out that kind of advice before, its very easy when you say, "When your done with 300 jumps on the 170, and 300 jumps on the 150, then you MAY be ready for the 135" to be recieved as "you're going to end up on the 135 eventually, so just buy it now".
So its either the waggly finger to Luigi if I'm wrong, or we wait to see the "you don't know my skills kid" in the incident reports.
Either way he should probaly consider doing some more research on wingloadings and its effect on canopies. This stuffs all been said before.....
Watch out for planters.

I am about to demo a Nitron and just wanted to see some videos of people flying and landing this canopy.
I have not found one!
Does anyone have some videos laying around they could post or send me?
Really want to see some landings.

Many good points have already been made. You are in over your head, and no, there is no chance that I'm wrong about this.

A further point is your desire to see a video over the internet before jumping a certain canopy. Even seeing one flown in real life will tell you very little about what you need know when you're the one hanging under it.

No offence to other Triathalon jumpers, but that's not the greatest canopy around. You have come to a massively incorrect conclusion that the increase in your satisfaction was a result of the change in size. There are many canopies available that will give you performance similar to your 135 in a size more appropriate for your experience.

Look at it this way, anyone can make a 500 Hp car go fast around a racetrack. Be careful in the corners, and leadfoot it on the straights. It takes a talented driver to go as fast with a 250 Hp car.

Right now, you are the novice with a 500 HP. The difference is that if you make a mistake, you don't spin out or over-run a corner, you get broken or killed.

Jump a canopy more suited to your skill level at a WL more suited to your experience.

Here's another thing - don't confuse Luigi's silence about your canopy choice or Wl as an endorsement.

Luigi spends his time going from DZ to DZ teaching these courses. He is not there to 'police' canopy or WL choices. If you had performed well on the days he was present, he would have no reason to speak to you about your choices.

Unless you said to him directly, "I have 50-some jumps, and am currently jumping a 135 at a WL of 1.3, do you think this is a good idea, and is it appropriate for my experience?", then I would not go around speaking as if you had his endorsement.

Keep in mind that you may have preformed well on the days he was present, during the controlled circumstances of the canopy course. This is what we call the 'best case scenario'.

Please do not believe that you will continue to perform that way when you encounter the 'wost case scenario', when all factors are working against you. This is where your choice of canopy can and will dictate the outcome of whatever it is you've gotten yourself into.

+1

People will hear what they want to hear. I would *hope* that an official endorsement wasn't given, but to the OP - It's important to remember that saying to someone "You did well today" doesn't mean "you're on the right track and your choices are good".

I've had students do well under wings I didn't feel were appropriate for them. It doesn't mean I support, or endorse, their canopy decisions.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I think they are being very nice and cordial to you. You specifically asked for a vid of someone "swooping a nitron." I had a friend with twice as many jumps an just as hard a head as you. When offered advice he gave his reasons for his personal rapid advancement like you. He watched and studied youtube vids and our AFF and Camera guys swoop in. He liquified his spine with a hook turn under a big parachute after repeated warnings and lectures
Liquified his spine.

Slow down playboy.
"Sometimes you look up and shit hath happened." Waz fjc 2009

I was looking for that Ash Container thread and this is what the search found.

Does this mean I have to wait for the instructions?[:/]

It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

I am about to demo a Nitron and just wanted to see some videos of people flying and landing this canopy.
I have not found one!
Does anyone have some videos laying around they could post or send me?
Really want to see some landings.

You want to jump this canopy ehy? Look at my opening first. Screwing around after a practice AFF jump I dump at ~2K and the rest is on film. This is a nitro 120 at about 2.0 : 1 but I guess you get the point.

With 61 jumps? Not a bright idea. Just my $00.02.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azADtrO0nz8