frost

Basic and Advanced Canopy flying: educational materials and videos

Are you Brian's wife?

Employer, teammate, dance partner, co-parent, partner in crime, wife, yes. I guess bringing the psychological aspects of canopy piloting into the conversation sounded a lot like Brian. We have great conversations about that stuff. It’s amazing how important our psychological state is to performance in extreme sports. In the 90s when I got certified as a trimix scuba diver I was surprised when a section on psychology turned up. They actually talked about meditation, which at the time tripped me out and seemed out of place next to all those tables on decompression, partial pressures and oxygen toxicity. Now years later it makes perfect sense.

CANOPY COURSE Video Training with Brian Germain at AdventureWisdom.com

As for learning from immediate feed back you are true that it can speed up the process but there have been studies that show deeper learning happens over time. A little coaching over a longer period of time can have more lasting results than a lot of coaching in a short time. Your brain has a chance to digest and catch up with all the info

As I understand it, you must "sleep on it" for your brain to log in the info. First get the info in the day (awake time), then when you sleep, your brain stores away the info. You can then access the info long term. Like you said though, a little info at a time before the sleep is better than a lot of info all at once.

Life is short ... jump often.

VASST-CANOPY CONTROL DVD is VERY helpfull, but I think only for a beginners, maybe some intermediate skydivers, I watched it a lot and practiced all the tricks by myself, then I took a camp from Flight-1 by Ian Drennan, and I learned alot. Discovered alot more specs about my canopy, mistakes I make, etc. But it was alot easier for me to colapse the canopy, and do all this tricks cause I did 'em before, then some other guys didnt even wanna do it cause it was scary...
I wish I could get one of those for an advanced canopy flying as well, but they dont exist, as far as I know...
Im a doctor! And I prescribe you skydiving, skydiving and more skydiving !!!

One-on-one coaching is absolutely priceless. I know a lot of people who go to Team Alter Ego (current CP World Champions Curt Bartholomew and Nick Batsch plus Jeannie Anderson and Ryan Brownlow). They video every jump and then debrief immediately with the video, going over things to adjust and what went great, and then right back in the air. They fixed so many of my own bad habits in one session!

Nick is actually holding coaching for the next week in Z-Hills (he's usually in Colorado). If anyone is local, it's a great opportunity. They coach basic all the way up to competition-level swooping.

Edit: Removed advertising