andyhughes

Aerodyne's Sensei

First impressions: comparison between sensei zp/x81 velo 79 and jvx 79 all without RDS and with 350lb hma.

I put a few jumps on a zp81 and also a zpx 81. firstly the openings are very nice for a xbrace. I have jumped both canopies with camera equipment without a worry. my loading is 2.89.

The front riser pressure is a little higher than a velo 79 and a little less than a JVX 79.

The toggle pressure is solid making for very nice stopping power (easy to shut down). I would say definitely higher than jvx and similar to the velo.

Recovery arc is shorter than a velo79 and very similar to a jvx 79.

Speed times through the FAI course was faster than the JVX 79 and very similar to the velo (sometimes better sometimes worse).

Distance. this canopy definitely went a little further than the standard velo for me. it is very comparable to the jvx, and I think with a full RDS it has competitive potential.

Overall impression. I like the openings, the speed is nice, the distance is good but i would like to do the comparison with a full RDS on all canopies to get a better idea of any "hidden potential"

All jumps were made over two days in similar conditions with all canopies in the same configuration with the same pilot: me.

Remember flight characteristics are something that you have to get accustomed to no matter what you fly. they are not better or worse than something else just different. the best pilots are the ones that have mastered the flight characteristics of their particular canopy and therefore can put it where they need to, how they need to, when ever they need to.

hope this helps.
  • Like 1

I was able to put a string of jumps on a Sensei 91 this weekend.

For reference, my usual main canopy these days is a Comp Velo 90. Before that I had an all-sailcloth JVX 83. My exit weight is 205 lbs. All jumps were made with the PC attached normally (no RDS). I jump at a dropzone 5000 above sea level.

General: When I got the canopy, I laid it out on the ground with my Comp Velo 90. This is pretty subjective, but it did appear that the two canopies were about the same size...if anything the Sensei was a little smaller. The A lines were 1.5" longer on the Sensei.

Openings: Fantastic. Nicest opening x-brace I have jumped. Slow, smooth, no seeking, easy to steer with the rear risers.

Front Risers: Riser pressure is higher than the Comp Velo, similar to the JVX - maybe a little lighter. The pressure builds up quicker than on the Velo, about the same as the JVX.

Rear Risers: Pressure is similar to the Comp Velo, lower than the JVX. It seemed very reluctant to stall on the rear risers. I would say the rears have a little more power than the Velo but not as good as on the JVX. I did not have any problems with the transition from rears to toggles at any time.

Toggles: Pressure is a little lower than the Comp Velo, way lower than the JVX. It floats very well in brakes and has good flare power. Control range felt similar to the Velo.

Harness: The canopy felt less responsive to harness input than either the Velo or the JVX.

Dive: I had to start my turn (a 630) about 200 feet lower than on the Comp Velo. The recovery arc is short...definitely shorter than the Velo, maybe even a bit shorter than the JVX. It feels like it builds speed very well.

Performance: On most jumps I came out of the turn high due to the short recovery arc. When I did get the recovery arc right, it swooped really well...I don't have enough experience with it to say if it's the same category as the Comp Velo and JVX, but it felt like it had a lot of performance.

Packing: This canopy was made of ZPX. It did pack up a little smaller than my comp Velo.

Overall: I'd say it is a pretty nice canopy, definitely worth checking out to see if it suits you. No doubt some folks will want a longer reovery arc, but I'd say it makes for a nice flying wing if it fits your flying style.

"Holy s*** that was f***in' cold!"
  • Like 1

Hello everyone, I made about 15 jumps with a sensei 81. In general I really like this canopy, watch the video of last landing: I would like an opinion on the strange movement of the trailing edge.

thanks. Andrea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA3QyUoWALo

Hi!
Picked up my Sensei 111 a couple of weeks ago WL=2 , have made 30 jumps on it so far. The openings are really good. rears are strong but the recovery arc is like most say short.
A question to those who have bought one, mine has a Big sensei logo across the entire center cell. I thought it would have the little sensei patch close to the nose on the center cell. What did you get?
//JF

the recovery arc is like most say short.
//JF

Most people seem to be saying this but i don't think theres much in it - my experience is that its a little shorter then a velo but not by much. I'm turning my 91 at about the same height as i used to turn a velo 96;

I normally do a 270 - maybe this difference in recovery arc is more noticeable on bigger rotations?

Is the fact that my Sensei is a 91 compared with a velo 96 making up for the shorter arc?

Its a couple of years since I jumped velo's so maybe i'm not remembering correctly?

Whatever the reason i don't think the recovery arc can be described as 'short' - just not quite as long as a Velo (which perhaps has the longest recovery arc on the market?)

Not trying to start an argument - just that i'm not seeing what most people seem to be reporting.
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

Maybe i refrase short to "short compared to a Velo", I used to jump a Velo 103 and uppsized to a Sensei 111, so i did not expect it to have the same recovery arc. I only do 270 to, but i don't feel like it has much longer recovery arc then my other canopy a Samurai 136, I started doing the turns on the same altitude as the velo and worked my way down, and im almost down to the same initiation altitude as i have on my samurai. Granted i have only 30 jumps on the canopy and have a lot to learn about getting the most out of it.
//JF

I have recently jumped both a Sensei 111 and a Velo 111 and found the recovery arc on the Sensei to be shorter by a *lot*. Front riser pressure is higher, too, though the Velo is not a pack of butter either.

The difference might partially result from the turn technique I use, but that will never explain the whole difference between ~500' and ~900'.
Johan.
I am. I think.

270, initiated with fronts and finished on harness. Nothing fancy, if and when I decide to buy a crossbraced canopy is early enough to start working on maximising speed and dive (and therefore time) in the turn. For now, they're loaners, demos.
Johan.
I am. I think.