andyhughes

Aerodyne's Sensei

Anyone got Aerodyne's version of the Sensei yet? How does it compare to the Velo?

Presumably Sensei will now be measured using the Aerodyne method (whereas it was developed using a measuring method similar to PDs according to the bigairsportz site)....

... so does this mean a Sensei 111 = Velo 120 in terms of both physical size and handling? (having trouble getting any info out of the manufacturers)

..and a Samurai pilot.

looking forward to it! I've flown samurai 120, 136 and 150. :)
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

I don't have an Aerodyne version, but I do have the latest version that Brian made me (101) in Sept 08 before the Aerodyne deal was announced.
I 've only got 17 jumps on it so far (I don't jump in the winter up here in the great white north in winter)
So far the openings are great. Soft and very little seeking, with no long snivel. It opens in about 600-700 ft. flies and lands great with lots of power in the flair. Did I say it was REALLY FAST!!!!! I have been a believer in Brians designs for years (my last canopy was a Sam136) and this is going to be another winner. Not having jumped a Velo I can't compare the 2 but will get some of my Velo buddies to put some jumps on it and let you know.
If anyone finds themselves in Ont.Can. this summer and wants to try it let me know.

Willy
growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

Asked Sonic to get a demo 91. Jerm and i will test jump it and see how it feels from a point of view of a JVX pilot and a Samurai pilot.

oooo ooo can I jump it too and throw velo pilot at it???

D
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Bump.....

I was just wondering if anyone had any new quanitifiable(?) input with how it compares to the velo/jvx/xaos.... Recovery Arc, Speed, Riser Pressure (Front and Rear) etc. I am very curious.

They may be advertising, but there are no demos available. Strange approach to selling canopies - advertise the new product, but not have any demo canopies. Worked well for the JVX. :S

As an engineer I work with marketting and sales types who translate what I make into money.

It's pretty standard practice to generate buzz before you start providing demo units and shipping product to paying customers. This is more true where you have new competition or market alternaties that you want to blunt (maybe the Competition Velocity or the chance of other products released at PIA). It's especially true where you have an annual trade show (PIA) and won't be having similar opportunities (good exposure for the cost) for another year.

Bump Again.....
Anyone had a chance to jump it yet?
//JF

I have an 81 on order from April. Once it arrives and I get some jumps on it, I'll let you know what I think. I'll pass it around the Farm here to other swoopers to check out as well.

It shouldn't be too much longer before it arrives...

Mike
ChutingStar.com

I have got my ZPX 81
If anyone makes it to Texas (Skydive San Marcos) you are more than welcome to try it - qualified that is

Haven't got a jump on it yet but hopefully this weekend

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

4 months later... I am still waiting for my demo.

But from a fellow swooper and super duper expert master rigger (official USPA term BTW), basically it's the nicest opening cross braced canopy that will not win any distance records, but is a nice all around swoop wing. Based on that, i was thinking "Neos"-like?

I managed to make 1 jump in it when Herman Landsman came to my DZ one day.

I went terminal with it and pulled @ 7, but the opening was still super soft compared to any other canopy =)

I'm curious about the flare on it. It seems that it might have a short flare window. Could someone out there that demoes it, try out to see if it could be landed at "full" flare, or if you need the toggles to come down a little more giving it more "ompf". It felt that it couldn't be landed when I put my arms down to the sweetspot. The only thing I got from it was that it stalled on me... =/
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

no, it was in Norway at Østre Æra. Herman went to Tønsberg and Østre Æra while visiting Norway and let people jump the sensei.

He traveled to Ireland after his visit to Norway.
www.lilchief.no

Just a quick one...

Got my Sensei hooked up and in the air this weekend. Size is 111 loaded at 2.1.

Openings are very very nice. Opens quick and perfectly on heading (which i wasn't expecting at all). I found it openings were bit too brisk for my taste if i didn't roll the nose. I'd say that it is one of the best opening canopies i've ever jumped.

I've set my brk-tog setting with 4" longer than the factory setting. This is working well with the relatively small control range window.

Very responsive to harness inputs.

Stall point is very predictable - it gives good feedback before the stall, and when it does go recover is less drama than on most ellipticals. I would *not* say it stalls early or before full flare. It has plenty of bottom end lift, but if you were to bury your toggles just before touch-down it will just fold up dump you on the ground.

I did *not* have any problems with rear-riser to toggle transitions. I heard on DZ.com some people are finding the canopy is stalling on transition, but this is not an issue with the 111 at 2.1.

Overall i am very impressed with it. Definitely requires modification to my turning technique with me coming from Katanas - front riser pressure is quite heavy and builds fairly quickly in slow diving turns. Very happy with it :).

And yes - it is *really* fast. ;)

I have over 1200 jumps on my two prototypes, and about 25 on a new wing with the ZPX material. These are 81 wings with a loading of 1.76-2.0, based on how much lead I am wearing on any particular jump. Yes, I am a swooper and I know how to fly. All I can say is, if anybody is flying the Sensei and you are stalling it while transitioning from rears to toggles, your technique is the problem and not the parachute. I have landed my wings entirely on the rears at all wing loadings and have not had it stall on me. A teammate of mine, who normally flies a Velo 84, has been flying one of my 81s and has not had a problem with it "stalling" on transition either.

Now, on another note, you should not have to roll the nose on your sensei. Pack it like a Velocity, deep cup and quarter the slider so it has a big pocket, and it shouldn't be a problem. Be very careful if you roll the nose on it...:S

"I don't know where it is that I'm going, but wherever it is there I'll be!" --quoted by me

I just got back from Couchfreaks where I was happy to see several Senseis being demoed. I've been jumping Big Air canopies for most of my skydives. I went to a Lotus early and now fly a Samurai.

What I was hearing about the Sensei wasn't what I expected to hear. Mostly things like, high riser pressure, short recovery arc, and narrow control range.

I'm curious if these descriptions are accurate and, if they are, what the benefits of designing a canopy with these characteristics are. Does this canopy need to be flown differently than the Velo in order to compete? Just curious. I love BG's stuff and was surprised at the feedback I was getting about this canopy.

The ZPX is cool stuff!
Fuck The Details

High front riser pressure=>yes, but that is true for any x-brace canopy. It is no higher than a velo of the same wing loading.

Short recovery arc=>yes, it is shorter than a velo; don't know how it is compared to a vx/jvx/chaos.

Narrow control range=>define narrow. It is more sensitive and responsive in both the rears and the harness, so I don't see how this applies. Narrow compared to what???

Does it need to be flown differently than a velo? Of course it does. Does a JVX fly identical to a Velo, and does a Chaos fly identical to a JVX? No. No two parachutes will fly identical because no two parachutes that have a different design and planform will be the same.

Come on people, use your head. Don't be so quick to judge a new parachute. Give it time to make its mark...
"I don't know where it is that I'm going, but wherever it is there I'll be!" --quoted by me

Thank you for your response. Like I said, I love BG's stuff and have mostly jumped something from BigAir. Naturally, the Sensei will have to be flown differently. I guess the question I'm really curious about is: How do these characteristics translate to a longer faster swoop?
Fuck The Details