inertial

Suggestions for Freestyle Meets

Last year I compiled a set of rules for a friendly freestyle swoop competition/meet. One might also refer to it as ideas or suggestions. They are a mixture of PST, FAI and Space Games rules and I wanted to keep them simple.

Now with new rules that are not coming from the community (as I have the feeling) and no freestyle competitions anylonger (at least not here in Europe) I decided to post them as a base for discussion. They don't raise the claim to be almighty true and I don't want to replace the "real" competitions. But, I think such a competition would be very attractive for spectators and pull new blood in training for canopy piloting and swoop competitions.

Following the "rules"- comments and suggestions of course welcome.

Generally:
- 3-5 rounds (or whatever the competitors want)
- every round another move is being performed
- move and turn to be stated before takeoff
- Groups of 4-5 in the same run or even groups of up to 10 that are not in the same load/ run (rotation?)

Judging:
- participants judge themselves after the jump, also the the competitor himself
- highest, lowest score is omitted- average of the remaining scores formes score for the swoop
- be fair and objective- it's about fun and if you judge yourself be faithfully
- open juding within the group
- gamesmanship or endangering others: competitor gets 0 points for the round
- competitor receives 0 points if he does not hit pond/ water in that round
- winner is the competitor with most point after the last round (of course he is...)

- Approach/ Turn: 0- unsafe, 1- safe but not done stated turn, 2: safe and done as stated
- Time on water: 0- less than 10 meter (or just a very short contact), 1: 10-40 meter (medium length contact), 2: more than 40 meter (long contact)
- Landing: 0- in the water, 1- uncontrolled, 2- controlled slipping, running either standing or sitting
- Performance: 0- did not performe stated move, 1-6- 6 is the best (move done according to freesytle rules?) - performance multiplied with level of complexity (PST, maybe needs some revisions)
- in the end all four marks are added

Unfortunately there wasn't that much feedback here but I received some really great mails with new ideas and additions. Thanks for that again! I revised the "rules" and we are definitely going to hold a friendly competition based on that rules on our dropzone this year to test them.

Meanwhile I also created an Excel-scoresheet and scoresheets for the competitors. Feel free to contact me if you want them for your own competition.

The guidelines:
General

It is a friendly competition. You are the safety officer, the judge and the competition director!

The number of rounds is open and will be determined prior to the competition by the competitors. At least two to three rounds should be performed.

Every round another move/ combination has to be performed. Move and turn have to be set out in writing before takeoff.

The groups are drawn prior to the competition and consist of four to five competitors. Rotation or re-draws of groups during the competition are possible but need to be agreed by all competitors.

The landing direction is determined by the competitor himself. The exit order is determined within the group and may vary from round to round. Safety first!

Re-jumps only apply due to interference (by other competitors, spectators, airplanes…). The group has to agree to the re-jump. Re-jumps don't apply due to weather conditions- do not jump if you don't like the conditions. If the weather conditions get worse all the competitors have to decide how to proceed.

Judging

The competitors talk their performances over within their group. At first, the competitor who is being judged should evaluate his own performance. This forms the basis for discussion. The discussion should then arrive at an agreement of the group determining the competitor's four partial scores of that round. This continues until all members of the group have a score for that round.

Most important: be fair and objective when judging the others and yourself.

Gamesmanship or endangering of others should result in 0 points for the competitor in that round. This has to be decided by the group. The group may also disqualify a competitor if he continues that behaviour.

A competitor will receive 0 points for a round if he does not touch the water.

There are scores for…

…approach and turn:
0- unsafe
1- safe but did not perform stated turn
2- safe and performed the turn as stated

…time on water:
0- less than 10 meters
1- about 10-30 meters
2- more than 30 meters

…the landing:
0- in the water
1- uncontrolled
2- controlled slipping, running or standing, sitting

…the performance:
0- stated move was not erformed
1- bad performance
2- poor performance
3- average performance
4- good performance
5- very good performance
6- excellent performance
The competitors should also pay attention if the move was performed according to its definition. The performance is being multiplied with the degree of difficulty.

In the end all four partial scores are added up and form the round score. A round is completed when all competitors have a score for that round. The sum of all round scores forms the total score. The competitor with the highest total score is the winner.

Personally, I don't think a move should count unless you're ON the water during the move.

It's one of the things I've never liked about the current system (that pilots can score for moves while being 2 feet above the water).

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Personally, I don't think a move should count unless you're ON the water during the move.

Same for me. The water is there to have contact with it...That's why it's also in the rules: "A competitor will receive 0 points for a round if he does not touch the water."

Ok, now I get your point. At first this will be penalized w/ the time on water score (time on water and score can of course be adjusted). And in the end it's you and your group that judges the execution of that move. Have that opinion slip in the discussion and "penalize" the performance.

This system may sound weird when you hear about it for the first time but we do this with 6th and 7th graders in school (age 12-14) after they have presented their team work. And it works- they all judge themselves (amount of work within the group, result...) fair, reasonable and appropriately. Why shouldn't it work for swoopers, too? :)

You may change the definitions of the moves, too. Add a "The pilot should have contact with the surface as long as possible."

This system may sound weird when you hear about it for the first time but we do this with 6th and 7th graders in school (age 12-14) after they have presented their team work. And it works- they all judge themselves (amount of work within the group, result...) fair, reasonable and appropriately. Why shouldn't it work for swoopers, too? :)

because the swoopers have a conflict of interest and know it, kids at school dont or dont realise it. if it was a good fair system the method would be used at the olympic games.