ianmdrennan

Florida Canopy Piloting League

Very true. Pretty strong headwind for almost the entire meet - great job from everyone dealing with that.

I learned 2 valuable lessons this weekend (amongst others).

1) Tripping on sand, right at the speed exit gate, is not only embarressing, but a great way to get a zero as you face plant right in front of the exit gate :)
2) Getting greedy for that last water gate, if there's headwind and you're a touch deep on your approach, probably isn't the best idea :) That 42 points can be an overwhelming temptation. And, like item #1, is also a great way to get a zero *grin*

Edit: I also think it's a good time to review the Am speed course length - it's pretty clear looking at the scores that the handicap has swung too far the other way, especially with the new scoring rules. Granted, some people got lucky with lulls in headwind, but the 40 feet handicap on top of the 10 ft gates adds too much (IMO).

Good times!
Ian

Performance Designs Factory Team

Tripping on sand, right at the speed exit gate, is not only embarressing, but a great way to get a zero as you face plant right in front of the exit gate :)

But hot diggity, Ian, dont you make that burrito look damn sexyyyyyyyyyyyy! ;)

Edited to add: Speed course - yes, agreed - altho it does not apply to my skills at present in particular, it's a good idea overall.

The cost of plane tickets - 300 bucks
The cost of the comp and training jumps - $355
Rental car and hotel - $180
Seeing a PD Factory Team pilot face plant in the sand right in front of you - PRICELESS. Taste the American soil!!

P.S. Honey, can you get my chest strap out of the bag - Ian Dennan after a distance run. The best line of the season so far.

I also agree that the speed course should be changed. 10ft gates are the handicap, distance should be the same.
It is even more important that the distance should be extended, when at Nationals is will be same distance for open and intermediate competitors.
My 1st Nationals that was a difficult change. IMO

I wonder in the future if there would be a fair way to incorporate a anemometer in the speed and distance events.

Some how use multiple anemometers and some how grade on a curve to create some handicap or averaging and go from there.

The wind is way to much of a factor and those who jump when the its slack tide in the lull of the winds get such a great advantage. Then the next group gets 10-14 knots.

There just isnt any equalization there.

I wonder if some how a formula could be developed with the sum of the winds speed of each persons run and graded somehow with a grading scale for fairness.

Especially when you see scores and the separation of the places is very small a few points then the luck of the winds could make all the difference.

Chris

I hear ya, it sucks to get hosed by the wind. In reality though i think you just have to accept it as part of competing in an outdoor sport. Correct me if im wrong but i don't think any other sport deals with it any differently then us, that is setting an upper limit and just going with it in anything lower. Skiing, golf come to mind as quick examples.

Using an formula to assign a handicap/bonus seems like it will be impossibly complicated because its not just speed its direction. Plus its ever changing. I don't see it being possible to quantify a run with a cross/head start with a cross/down end compared to the opposite scenario. Its just too variable. The location of the anemometers, even if they are at the start and end of the course, won't tell you what the pilot was dealing with as they roll out of their turn and through recovery. Poor organizers already work hard to round up enough judging staff.

I think the new speed formula is complicated enough. The wind is just something your going to have to become friends with. Get in tight with the wind gods. I like to use beer and silly dances leading up to comp day. Keeps me entertained anyway.

Agreed.

It's just one of those things. The limits we have now are fine, albeit frustrating if you're on the crap end of a wind shift. That said, it happens to all of us at some point so we just have to suck it up and accept it as a part of competing :)
I agree that adding rules for this will just be too cumbersome and complicated.

Blues,
Ian
ps: Attached is what Stu does to get in with the wind gods......

Performance Designs Factory Team

Meet #4 coming up April 18/19 at Skydive the Farm. For those unemployed swoopers, or those who are feeling "sick" and not planning on going to work next week, I'm headed up to the Farm this weekend and setting up the courses. Swoop training at the Farm all week long!!! Woo Hoo.
Watch out for planters.

Hell yeah! Love the Farm. The Ranch Invasion (or rather Russian Invasion) of the Farm next week. I got 4 or 5 of my Comrades coming, plus honorary Russians - Pia and Teeling. "Ya'll" better watch out, keep the dogs away, or it's Korean BBQ time. Eeehaw, motherrr bitches. :ph34r:

P.S. Buddy is safe. Nobody eats Buddy or they answer to ME!