jephprospect

How do you feel about performance designs wing load chart?

Do you mean this? Or are you speaking specifically to the wingloading recommendations for specific canopies?

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/W-L_Interpretations.pdf

Performance Designs information about wingloadings have typically been spot on for what people should adhere to. Specifically for a first canopy you shouldn't look past 1:1 or at an extreme 1.1:1. All you need to do is look at the Incidents forum to see why.

Do you have a local canopy mentor? How about an experienced instructor that you go to for advice? Is that instructor also an experience canopy pilot? Then maybe you should hook up with him/her to get some personal advice for your ability level. We haven't seen you fly your canopy, so we can't really give direct advice beyond the generic wingloadings and canopy choices.

If you're looking for a first canopy and Performance Designs, then please call Kim and demo a Silhouette as well as a Sabre2, Spectre and a Storm. Also, keep those all the same size on the demoed canopies and all of the 1:1 or slightly less. Kim will explain why in more detail on the phone, if you wish.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I was talking about the wing loading recommendations for specific canopies. I have tons of great and experienced people I can get advice from at my DZ but I won't be there till 2009 so I thought maybe someone here could shed some light on the subject for the time being.

Is their chart based on weight or exit weight? Because if it's based on exit weight it says I am an advanced pilot which is obviously wrong

Good question. The WL is calculated by exit weight. That's your gear, your helmet, your goggles, your shoes, the breakfast in your belly, your rig, et al.

Which canopy are you referring to and what is your current wingloading?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I was talking about the wing loading recommendations for specific canopies. I have tons of great and experienced people I can get advice from at my DZ but I won't be there till 2009 so I thought maybe someone here could shed some light on the subject for the time being.

Is their chart based on weight or exit weight? Because if it's based on exit weight it says I am an advanced pilot which is obviously wrong

Please, please, please reference your SIM. It explains wingloading and how to calculate it and you should know this for your A license.

While you're not at the DZ, get ahold of Germain's book the Parachute & Pilot and read the first couple of chapters. Do not go into the advanced stuff. Just read the basics. The book is a progression, treat it as such and you will learn everything you could ask here. At my jump numbers, I have not even read the swooping stuff in there b/c I'm still learning to wring out a canopy up high. I don't feel like giving the stats man another tick in his book.

If you do buy that Xaos, can you will it to me? I be ready for it about 2012;)
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

I like Germains chart, the PD chart seems super conservative.

Looking at the PD chart, when I bought my Sabre2 170 @ 24 jumps (still a "student"), exit weight ~160 in full kit, I've already exceeded the maximum weight in the "student" AND the "novice" categories, closing in on the maximum "intermediate" weight. This set off a lot of alarm bells in my head.

In reality after I bought it, I'm loading the canopy under 1:1 and jumping at sea level and it flies quite docile and is treating me extremely well.

I like Germains material :) Buying under 1:1 seems like a good bet for most jumpers, our CI enforces this and I haven't seen a serious injury yet.

...exceeded the maximum weight in the "student" AND the "novice" categories, closing in on the maximum "intermediate"...reply]

You are not exceeding any maximum weight, there is only one maximum weight limit, and that is 255 lbs. You are however over the recommended weight category.

Just wanted to clear that up.