jerolim

speedflying canopy wear

Hi,

I would like to try speedflying with Springo 140 this winter, and I was wondering if there could be some wear on canopy because of speed flying ?

I've done some ground launchings with accuracy canopy parafoil 272 and it had to be very steep slope to start flying and there is no school for this in this part of Europe. But some small experience in paragliding will be enough I guess.

Since there is snow, just wear regular clothes for skiing =) You'll need it when you flip over haha. If possible, you could use the less baggier set for less drag and easy access to the cutaway handle in case you get stuck some how.

I've got a pair of motor cross pants that I might use, but that depends on temperature and if I cant find other clothes under. But they're more for swooping in the summer.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

depends on how good you are. If you drag it around a lot, it will wear faster, if you are good, and get it in the air fast without dragging it around a whole lot it wont wear very quickly at all. Bottom line=dont worry about it, you should be much more worried about running over your lines or canopy fabric with you ski edges. Lines are tough, but ski edges are tougher so be careful and always make a careful inspection of your wing prior to flight, and after any time your ski edges may have touched it.

How steep track must be ? Does it have to be black or red is enough ?

what do you mean black or red, is that how they grade ski runs at resorts where you are from? I dont have the luxury of resort speed riding here in the states, but the the springo has a good glide ratio, if you can get going fast on a shallow slope with the wing over your head and stab the brakes youll go airborne, but not for long. My favorite places to do it so far(Im no expert yet mind you, only done maybe 60 ski launches this season so far on my 12m nano) is a shallow slope to get the wing inflated and make sure its all good, then a big rollover onto some much steeper terrain so you can hit the brakes to take off, turn and go along the terrain and do some sweet proximity flying.

what do you mean black or red, is that how they grade ski runs at resorts where you are from? .

In Europe, ski slopes are classed from green to black (Green, blue, red and black) green being the easiest and black the hardest.
--------------------------------------------------
I never used 2 rocks to start a fire ... this is called evolution !

no green, at least in switzerland..

yes green.. maybe not in your area, but in welschland we have green slopes, the suuuper easy beginner slopes. The ones where I can ski without supervision:D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

well, regardless of the rating of the slope, or how steep the slope is, as long as you can get moving at a decent rate, just ground handling the canopy while skiing is pretty damn fun too, and a great way to practice for when you wanna step up into steeper terrain and do a lot of touch and go's, which is where the real fun is...

Oh, and I live in Colorado, have a snowmobile to access the backcountry, and will be speedflying all winter/spring if anyone wants to join me. Shoot me a PM if interested, I have some amazing descents lined up...

unfortunately Switzerland isn't Europe ...

anyway who cares ?

HAHA thats awesome!:D

EDIT: I had to check a map to actually see how debatable it was...

I would say that ground launching a canopy will actually get less wear and tear than normal skydiving provided you don't try groundlaunching for nasty course surface. I think opening shock degrades the material more than anything.
Na' Cho' Cheese

there is no school for this in this part of Europe.

Which part of Europe ?

Check out http://www.speed-flying.com (Guidelines section for a complete list of schools that teach SF.

Start on a shallow slope and get used to it first.
MOST IMPORTANT - KEEP OFF ALL PREPARED PISTES... If you want to fly, head OFF-PISTE and well away from all the regular skiers.
http://www.speed-flying.com - No:1 for the worldwide Speed-Riding Community

I would say that ground launching a canopy will actually get less wear and tear than normal skydiving provided you don't try groundlaunching for nasty course surface. I think opening shock degrades the material more than anything.

I would have to disagree with the above:
remember that the question is about speedflying hence over snow, and even if you're good your canopy will be in contact with the snow at some point. One thing that you really want to make sure at the end of the day is to hang your canopy to dry in a heated room (but not near the heating surface) because humidity will make your canopy wear faster. That and the obvious don't let your ski anywhere near your lines (which you sometimes cannot help in case of a failed take-off, been there done that :P).
Groundlaunching and speedflying will wear your canopy faster, unless you are extremely cautious (as you should be).