nigelh

A Question....

Hello,
I'm no swooper, but i've noticed people have modified their front risers by basiclly folding them in half to reduce drag so they cut through the air,
but then you have this huge pocket on your leg that surely creates alot more drag than the you lose from the modified risers?
Or am I wrong and is it only from the 3-ring upwards that actually has an effect?

(hope that makes sense...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Sponored by NZ Aerosports, CYPRES 2, Tonfly & L&B

Team Dirty Sanchez #232

The Modification to the risers is in no way connected to the big trouser leg pocket. The pocket on your leg is for a removable deployment system. When open you can Remove your slider, pilot chute, bridal and main bag and therefore a pocket is needed to store this when removed. Yes this pocket will create a certain amont of drag but cetainly nowhere near as much the slider and pilot chute still attached.
The Mod to the risers is a further step to minimising the amount of overall drag but as stated is not related to the leg pocket.
(hope that makes sense...)
Full Power..... No Compromise!!!

The Mod to the risers is a further step to minimising the amount of overall drag but as stated is not related to the leg pocket.

He is not saying is it related, he is saying it's hyprocritical. You're minimizing the drag at the top, but adding drag at the bottom, however; as Ian has pointed out, the pocket is usually on the rear side of the leg, reducing the amount of drag.

Another way to look at it is people jumping RDS and modified risers with really baggy jumpsuits. They try to reduce all this drag with modified container components, then slap on a huge baggy cotton jumpsuits, cancelling each other out.

The Mod to the risers is a further step to minimising the amount of overall drag but as stated is not related to the leg pocket.reply]

He is not saying is it related, he is saying it's hyprocritical. You're minimizing the drag at the top, but adding drag at the bottom, however; as Ian has pointed out, the pocket is usually on the rear side of the leg, reducing the amount of drag.

Another way to look at it is people jumping RDS and modified risers with really baggy jumpsuits. They try to reduce all this drag with modified container components, then slap on a huge baggy cotton jumpsuits, cancelling each other out.

DOH! now it makes sense :S:$
Full Power..... No Compromise!!!

There are more reasons than drag reduction to jump a removable slider/RDS and sometimes people are doing other types of jumps but want the practice with the RDS.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

There are more reasons than drag reduction to jump a removable slider/RDS and sometimes people are doing other types of jumps but want the practice with the RDS.

I want one to get rid of the buzz from my slider. I can get it behind my head but it interferes with my camera when I turn my head.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.