NexGenSkydiver

Velo vs. JVX

you can demo virtually anything, as long as you can find somebody who owns, what you want to demo:)

PM Paul Russow known on this forum as proswooper. He used to compete in the PST under various JVXs and now he has switched to Velo, so he probably can provide you with some comparison of their flight characteristics.

Which ever canopy you get, it will take time to master that canopy.

I am a JVX man, the openiongs are the best on the market, even better than crossfire openings.

If you talk to a Velo owner they will tell you to get a Velo, if you talk to a JVX owner, they will tell you to get a JVX....

Having said that, the JVX is slowly taking out all the records, even though ther at least 4 Velos to every JVX maybe evem 10:1?

Get a JVX and you will be happy!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

With the exception of the first line, these are a bunch of statements not really based on reality ;)

JVX openings are NOT the best on the market.

Not all JVX/Velo owners would say that, only closed minded or inexperienced ones would.

And finally... it's not the JVX that's taking out records. It's the guy under it... and he is trying to get under the velo ;) I promise you, one shouldn't make a choice of his canopy based on which one holds the record (and record for what?). You should pick the canopy based on your piloting experience and flying style. AFTER you had a chance to try them all out.

characteristics of the JVX- Longer recovery arc with better reaction from the rear risers due to being a 9 cell.
Dicy in slow flight due to crosswinds, no stabalizers also has an effect on the turn recovery not hitting the line of flight as quickly as the Velo.
Definate distance gain with the sail material if loaded properly-but the experience need to be there.
Openings can vary from 2 simliar canopies, so not really saying one is better than the other, but with the right slider setup on the Velo they can be awesome and the same goes for the JVX.
I did find that the stock slider in the Velo tends to open very slowly(on my canopy,others may vary) and gives it the chance to spin.
I have found that my distance has improved with the jVX over the Velo, but have still seen guys with great technique blitz me on the Velo.
Opinions on this may vary from one to the next, but this is my experience with both canopies over the past couple of years.
I Am Sofa King We Todd Did!!

Just to clear something up - the JVX definitely has a shorter recovery arc. It does dive just as much as a velo while turning though, but as soon as the pilot stops it begins to recover much faster. This is quite apparent by how low, good, jvx pilots are rolling their wing out and how quickly it recovers. Kevin Love, once of Team Extreme, described it to me as a 'super stiletto'.

That said, I think Mike (Frost) said it best. There are many, many different factors that should go into picking a canopy. Each pilot will have different criteria for these factors, and what they are will help determine which wing, which company, and which price are best for them.

All the manufactures have their own unique traits in the customer service department, as well as the way their canopies typically fly.

Demo, or borrow someones, to try and see which one's fit your personal criteria. We all have different tastes.

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Hi

I have both ... Velo 84 @ 2.3 and JVX 87 (fullsail)@ 2.2

I find that the Velo has better openings ... more chance of it staying mildly on heading where as the JVX is all over the place ... have found some improvement when deployin in a track ..

Like Ian said the JVX is like an uber fast Stiletto ... its turned kinda low when compared to the Velo ...

I have done a pile more jumps onthe Velo but aim to change that ... new line set for the JVX going on soon ..

I can live with the opening ... no noprobs and adjusting turn heights is also not a hassle but the
biggest difference I have foud is how the JVX needs constant harness imput to keep it on the chosen line ... I find the velo stays good with little input

FR riser pressure on the JVX is heavier than the Velo .... on rears the JVX just ups and fucks off leavin the Velo for dead ...

Just my opinon guys ...

Flipper

I have also spoken to people about what you want to do under the canopy as well. Most people that do freestyle, usually arent under a Velocity. They are under a VX or Xaos, etc. However for pure dive and swoop distance, I see most people contratsing that to the Velo...

Are you aiming to freestyle or what? Ford or Chevy man. Look at nascar. Damn near all those cars are the same in desgin, but its the driver who makes the most out of it. You gotta be a good pilot to max that canopy out, and even then, they offer different endings to each and every swoop. Distance, freestyle, dive, what do YOU want ;)

I have quite a bit of experience on both. First thing's first...the JVX is measured differently than a Velo. If you want to compare the two, compare a Velo to a JVX 5-10% smaller. I find my all-sail 83 JVX compares pretty well to a Velo 90.

Second, the JVX does have a shorter recovery arc. I personally don't like this.

Next, the JVX has lots more power on rears, which is great. I love it.

The Velo opens slower, but I find it is hard to control heading. The JVX is a faster opening but it steers really well on the rears while sniveling. I hardly ever have an off-heading on the JVX if I steer it.

Overall I'd say the JVX has a little bit more performance potential, but the Velo is easier to fly (and therefore it is easier for the pilot to extract the performance). They are both great canopies.

"Holy s*** that was f***in' cold!"

Just for the record, i agree with people's comparisons of the two canopies. This is what i wrote to Shane in PM yesterday, slightly edited:

I did get to make a bunch of jumps on my buddy's velo 84 recently when my JVX 92 was getting a reline.

This is what i noticed as far as flight characteristics:

1. Velo has lighter front riser pressure. I did like it a lot because it made it easier to hold it in a dive, when i got my JVX back i was like, wow, this thing is a brick! Also because of that, i think, it was easy to initiate the turn a little too quick. You know how you hold the first double fronts for a while, and then slowly start the turn? Well, with velocity, just a bit more input on the turning riser and it seemed like the canopy was already turning full speed. I wasnt too crazy about that, but that's a learned habit - easy to correct, i am sure.

2. JVX has stronger rears. I can trust myself to force it out on rears, more so then Velo. But that may be due to the fact that i have a lot more jumps on a JVX then on a velo, i know what the canopy can do... again just a matter of experience on that particular wing, not a negative point. It also seemed to me that JVX had a "more positive" recovery arc, but that may be due to ligher wingolading - on a JVX i was @ ~2.5, on velo i was @ ~2.7

3. I thought that Velo had a little more power on the bottom end (read: last few feet of the swoop). Once you pop and then transfer to the toggles it seemed to go a little further from that point on compared to the JVX.

4. Velo is a bit less stable or rather a little more twitchy in freestyle, I am thinking due to less wingspan? It feels that i can hold JVX straighter on course when doing a blind man. But that could be just a perception.

5. Openings are smoother on a Velo, but sometimes less predictable. I prefer more solid but straight openings of the JVX.

All in all, i'd have to say these two very strong canopies (obviously). Both have pluses and minuses that benefit and compliment your individual flying style. You'd do well on either wing you chose, your technique is already very smooth, it's a matter of getting more jumps under that wing. But consider your flying style. If you like lighter riser pressure, longer recovery - i think velo is the way to go, if you dont care for that - JVX may be a better choice

Just to clear something up - the JVX definitely has a shorter recovery arc.

Ian

I dont like to say anything in these discussions for so many obvious reasons but making one general statement about a jvx's flight characteristics is missleading. the canopy comes in many different configurations each with very different flight characteristics. some stilleto like and some 'velo dive long' like. all publicly available.

the flight characteristics do not scale with the sizes and the same configuration in a different size will produce a different flight characteristic. for example i had three 87s in different material, all typically went the same distances but all had extremely different front riser pressures and toggle pressures and recovery arcs. it was like flying three totally different canopies.

so asking how the jvx compares to a velo is like asking how does an aerodyne canopy compare to the velo. naturally the response is which aerodyne canopy...but to make some general statements

JVX
~the all sail in competition trim has a very long recovery arc very close to velo if not the same in my experience, however the ability to fly it low and use rear inputs to recover is great and can make a recovery arc seem short- this comes down to flying style- I liked to come out of the turn high and let it fly, Nick Batch for instance likes it low and dirty. more toggle pressure lighter front riser pressure than the other two models.
~the hybrid in competition trim has a very short recovery arc and agreed that this is super stilleto like. much heavier front riser pressure
~the all zp in competition trim is in the middle of the two as far as recovery arc and similar front pressure to the hybrid.

They all have slightly different opening characteristics which again changes with the size you fly, some are really nice some are not so nice. I have found that the smaller sizes typically open nicely and the bigger ones (above 95sq ft) open more briskely.

VELO
has much lighter front riser pressure than all the JVXs i have ever jumped, and typically has a long recovery arc, similar to the all sail JVX in competition trim. The big separator tho is the raw stopping power of the velo. the JVX doesn't come close.

I do prefer the velo openings to the jvx and the velo has consistent flight characteristics across the board. This is a testament to the company behind it doing the necessary R&D in the set available sizes. i have a lot of jumps on both and it is hard to say one dominates the other in performance. I have had record breaking runs on both. I do however have to say that if you want to be taken care of the only way to go is PD.

these comparisons are assuming cascaded 350lb HMA and full RDS on all canopies.