gainer

World meet 2008, what's happening

Some very interresting stuff!!!

Wonderboom is around 4500ft above sea level, the average daily temperature is around 30C, wind is between 5 and 10 knots, either crosswind or downwind, slightly into-wind for the speed course.

Distance, well it is sure to say we will have a new distance record and we have 5+ contenders for that role, last I heard Nick Batsch went 185m, local Chris Teaque went 180, Marat, Jay Moledski, Jessica Eddington and a few others got or is very close to the 170m+ mark. We have a second sandpit at the end of the distance course set at around 165m, So if you see sand he went faaaaaaaar

In the lower field average distances are between 100m to 150m, so if you get 70m.... We are very disappointed in 110m ;)

Speed, I have no-idea what the speed record is but Marat unofficially broke it at 2.1 sec today. Chris and some other guys both also set up close to those speeds at 2.47 or thereabout.

Accuracy is interresting. we have a whole lot more speed so we have some very fast landings, most are doing ok but we do have some spectacular stuff happening.

Weather is looking okish for the meet but we'll see

Well here it is 0949 in the morning at the DZ first day of competition and the winds are starting to pick up. The clouds have been the determining factor so far. We are on a hold for weather. The winds have been generally into the wind direction in the morning changing to a cross then down wind in the evenings. The course is up and the competitors are ready to go. There have been a few bumps and bruises in practice. Robbie from the Aussies has gotten the worst it seems with a rough day yesterday. Chopped a canopy at 6,000ft and watched it float about 4-5 miles away. amazingly enough he got it back then later had a spill on the water that made me cringe just seeing the pics!

Jessica Edgington smoked a 2.2 on the speed course 2 days ago and the distance runs have been impressive as previously stated. I personally did a best run of 165m and 161 but of course with the level of competition here that obviously won't be good enough. Time to step up and go big or go home without some bling bling!
This being my first meet I wouldn't know but as stated by my fellow competitors the level of competition here is unlike any other meet seen before. It is amazing to see so many people hit the gates with consistency and have great runs! Kudos to all the competitors and good luck to all! I will post more when the rounds allow. The internet connection isn't the greatest and between that and random people unplugging the wireless trying to trouble shoot their own computers it is hard to download pics. I will do my best, which as most of you know on here is like saying....Don't bet on it!
"Dropzone.com, where uneducated people measuring penises, has become an art form"

Speed, I have no-idea what the speed record is but Marat unofficially broke it at 2.1 sec today. Chris and some other guys both also set up close to those speeds at 2.47 or thereabout.

FAI Speedrecord held, till now, by Thomas Morris Friess at 2.4. Ran that at the Nationals as a guest in Colorado this year. I think it was JUST about to be ratified...

GW: Go get 'em tiger.... and keep posting!!

Well, today was a wash. The poor folks spent all day on the ground. Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow.

On the plus side, Stu (at dinner tonight) had what has to have been the most peppery steak known to man. The guy was literally crying as he tried to finish it off.

Not to be outdone Hans, and Greg, decided to try and eat a 1kg steak, all in between harassing Nick Batch by filling his coke with beer and toothpicks! :D

Blues,
Ian

Performance Designs Factory Team

Round one is almost complete. One more plane of competitors to go. Most of the US Team did pretty well. The winds are perfect.....perfectly deceiving. Alot of zeros in the first round with people not making it to the scoring zones. The winds are 3-6mph headwind...Can't ask for any better!
I got all the water gates and had a non stand up in zone 4 so all in all. It was a pretty good score! I am extremely happy with it.
Bruno and of course Jay...the man! got perfect scores. I will post more after my second run.
GO TEAM USA!
"Dropzone.com, where uneducated people measuring penises, has become an art form"

The second round is almost complete. I had a pretty good run the first run and a great run in round 2. there is one more plane load to go then switching to speed. (into the wind) No records will fall.....I predict. Because of incomming weather we are goning to do 2 speed rounds then 2 distance runs to be able to call in a meet. It should be interesting the last day doing one of each! If no one gets a stand up in zone 5 I should have 100 points for this round! (fingers crossed)
A few people are consistently turning too low and scarring the bejesus out of me!
No red or yellow cards yet! Yet!
The US for the most part have all had consistant runs with good scores posted and there have been a few calls by the judges that are, lets just say...questionable.
Apparently running out the side of the course is allowed....I don't know?

round 1 of speed is out of the way for myself, as I assumed there are no really fast times so far. I posted a 3.0something
Marat (maha) posted a 2.8 and nick batsch has set the standard at 2.66. The course is into the wind and the humidity is up so the canopies aren't flying that fast. I believe I tied someone else in the second round of accuracy with a maximum score of 100 points. I am currently in 3rd for this round of speed with the PD boys still to go and of course the freak! Jaymo! He truely is an animal if you haven't seen him in action.
JT is going to have PETA breathing down his neck shortly. While videoing Shannon he landed and the total body count is...
1 camera
1 camera man
1 German sheppard!
The dog is ok! It yelped like Jessica Edgington when he impacted with it. He did however did an amazing job of grabbing it as he rolled and protected it from further injury.
There are quite a few verticles so far in speed as the canopies aren't wanting to dive.
Michael Vaugn just posted a 2.95 to bump me back even further....Yay!

Big Papa Hans Paulson decided he wanted to dance the three ring jingle and chopped a few minutes ago. I told him I would pack for him!!!!
More to follow.
Since this is the only place I know of that is trying to keep anyone updated feel free to post it on your facebook, myspace or whatever
Hans is back from a nice off airport landing. He chased the canopy for quite sometime.
Kevin Love you can thank him later. They found it! It was about 2-3 miles away since it reinflated and wanted to fly....apparently without him under it!!
F**K! is the quote from Hans!

15 min call for rd 2 of speed. Hans posted a 2.95. Agreat run considering all the verticles and the head wind. He jumped Maha's rig since his was being repacked. The scores are posted for accuracy. Jay mo is in the lead of course! I took 5th in the 1st round and 1st in the 2nd round. Just need to keep the runs clean and setups consistent!

Rd 2 of speed is complete. Shannon Pilcher posted the fastest time with a 2.6something followed closely by Kaz Sheeky Jaymo then Nick Batsch and Jessica Edgington! anything under 3.5 was considered good in the given wind conditions. The are shifting slightly to a cross down wind which helped the last load of competitors not that any of them needed it. They scored the best because they are the best!
I posted a 3.28 I think. It is hard to hear the scores in the landing area.
We have a 30 minute break then right into the distance event. If the forecast hold true then there should be some impressive runs to include the world record going down...I predict multiple times...I just hope I can do my damage and have my 15 minuteds of fame!
With hans Paulson out first on the pass after me it may be more like 5 minutes!
Team USA overall has posted some impressive scores....Damn Canadian!

GW you're funny, keep posting man, thanks for the updates.

P.S. Can someone take a pic of GW with a sign "I should have joined the Navy!" when he is asleep, like they did on the PD Blog? I know i know, GW doesnt sleep, he waits, like Chuck Norris.

...and along with that I want Ian D. wearing his Ballistic Bunny tank top... I am still owed that pic!!! :P

But I'm not competing :( I have the shirt on stand-by though!!! :D:ph34r::D

This is one HELL of a meet - lots of great flying, it's been a blast to watch (something I don't normally get to do).

Good times, with good people.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Overall Unofficial results so far.
1. Jay Mo.
2. Greg Windmiller
3. Shannon Pilcher
Let it rain!!!!!!
I am about 40 points behind Jay and Shannon is 2 points behind me. The top ten places are onseperated by 17 points.
Load one just went to the plane taxied then turned around because of low clouds.
The weather is supposed to be getting better as the day goes but the original forecast is for clouds and rain. There is a slight head/crosswind right now of 4-6 mph.
Unless the winds die or shift I don't believe the records are in fear of being broken. Predictions have been right so far, but I have been known to be wrong. Thus the 2 previous wives!
As far as the mad russian goes water and feed your chest strap and maybe one day it will grow up to be big and strong....and also Shatalov...I met some more russian swoopers and to my disbelief I was wrong, not all russian swoopers are gay!
Love you guys.

*******UPDATE*********UPDATE********UPDATE*********UPDATE********UPDATE*******UPDATE********UPDATE*****
The following information has just been declared unclassified by your United States Government and is ready for immediate media release!

It was recently discovered that an immigrant in the year 1916 purchased Canada from a group of
homosexual nudist eskimos for two baby seals and a bottle of elixer which was later discovered to be KY Jelly.
Given the recent discoveries Canada has now been formally declared the northern most state in the United States.
Since the US Team can only consist of competitors that competed in the US Nationals Jay Moledski is hereby
expelled from medal contention!
Officailly declaring me the winner since I just broke both airplanes!

dited to add score sheet
I will try to post all the scores via photo or if I can bribe the judges with a spreadsheet.
Since Mary Lou is a judge it should take about a half a bottle of cheap wine!
Peace out!

Hans Paulson is hereby declared a master idiot of the free world!
I let him use my computer for 2 minutes.....I knew I should have closed my tabs!
Well with the standing tradition the competitors got the go to the plane call and as they were walking to the plane down came the rains!!!
It is 5 til 1pm and still no jumps! Come on rain!!!