shah269

It's that time of year again...

It's that time of year again.
For those of us who lacked the funds to fly south to get a few jumps in and who weren't too keen on the idea of jumping is sub zero temperatures it's time to think of the spring.

From the older guys, what do you suggest?
I for one have inspected my equipment and reviewed it's operations.
Furthermore I have been packing my parachute about once an evening to build muscle memory.

I will also reread Mr. Germains book.

What do you you suggest for refreshing determining property flair height?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Window weight with 15 feet of fishing line tied to it, loop the free end of the line around your scrotum...when your nuts quit hurting ~ FLARE! :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

If you're scared of landing, perhaps upsize for the first few jumps of the season on to something where flare technique is less critical.

Personally, I have always found that the "muscle memory" for flaring comes right back first jump after a break with no issues.

What do you you suggest

Stop overthinking everything. Flare height is different for every canopy and every landing. It's a 'fluid' motion, and you will need to alter for every landing as the situation dictates.

The only real way to practice flaring is to do it. Build familiarity with your canopy and the 'look and feel' of the flare each time you jump, and that's how you'll 'learn' to flare.

Standing on a ladder in the middle of a field, or looking down from the top of the stairs isn't going to help.

I recommend placing your flair somewhere between the naval and the colorbone. Don't use an excessive amount.
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

What do you you suggest

Stop overthinking everything. Flare height is different for every canopy and every landing. It's a 'fluid' motion, and you will need to alter for every landing as the situation dictates.

The only real way to practice flaring is to do it. Build familiarity with your canopy and the 'look and feel' of the flare each time you jump, and that's how you'll 'learn' to flare.

Standing on a ladder in the middle of a field, or looking down from the top of the stairs isn't going to help.

Thank you!

Any other new students / sub 100 jump guys and gals out there.
How do you get ready after a good 6 months off?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

Go stand on a shed roof (or other outside location where you can get 10-15ft up) and look ahead of you to remind yourself what the picture looks like immediately before landing. Don't look straight down.

And as someone said above, the flare is a dynamic, not a static, meneuver; fly your canopy all the way through it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I'm sure you watched more bad landings than I have, but one of the most common mistakes I see low experience jumpers (and student pilots) make is flaring too high and running out of airspeed while still 10 ft up. Getting the sight picture right is critical.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Shah-

I have never had 6 months off, only 1.5 months at one point, but I just went out and jumped. I was nervous since I was around the 50-60 jump area, but I just did it. My landing was actually better than I expected.

So, like one person suggested, go up in canopy size. And like Nike says, just do it. It's not that bad. Remember what you have to do. Walk it through in your midn and I'm sure you'll be okay.
"Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see."

-Benjamin Franklin

I guess one thing to do if unsure about one's flare is to only go up in moderate winds when returning to jumping. Nothing too high, nothing too low. It won't change one's vertical speed, but by taking out some ground speed, it will remove some of the overall speed & ground rush, and require less of the canopy's inherent flare power to get oneself to an easy stop.

This is actually a really good thing to discuss at safety day. It's something that a lot of people who jump seasonally don't necessarily think of, unless they're particularly junior, or particularly careful.

Upsizing for the first jump of the day rarely hurt anyone. Just make sure it's not the old ragged-out Navigator :P

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Just make sure it's not the old ragged-out Navigator

Ha ha! I still want a piece of that green thing!
Yeah I think I'll "barrow" the student 285.
The thing is huge but it was so much fun to just hang in.
I like the idea of the ladder on the field would really help with the sight picture.

Thanks guys!

Aside from getting a coach or two, going over EPs, checking out the aerial map, and the likes, don't forget to walk around your landing area and "outs" areas to check for new obsticals/vegetation that might be there.

Not that there should be any new vegetation coming from winter, but being you jump in New Jersey there may be a drum or so of toxic waste that the spring thaw has pushed up:D

Be safe.

First of all you have an A license so you should be doing the jump under the supervision of an instructional rating holder as it has probably been over 60 days.

Read the SIM and EP muscle memory is more important than packing muscle memory. You can always pay a packer to pack for you, but there's no-one you can pay to get your reserve out for you:D

Ask your DZ if you can sit through the next first jump course. It is amazing how sometimes hearing things a second or third time, can suddenly 'enlighten' you.

Ask your DZ if you can sit through the next first jump course. It is amazing how sometimes hearing things a second or third time, can suddenly 'enlighten' you.

GREAT IDEA!

dude, for someone with an MBA i'd be much more worried about spelling; that or the quality of the university system over there! :P

Ipad man...at home I use my I pad and let me tell you this web page is not Ipad friendly.

Infact I think nothing is Ipad friendly!

dude, for someone with an MBA i'd be much more worried about spelling; that or the quality of the university system over there! :P

Ipad man...at home I use my I pad and let me tell you this web page is not Ipad friendly.

Infact I think nothing is Ipad friendly!

i dont like touchscreens for typing.. you moan about your financial situation, but you got yourself the most useless toy of the decade.. tztztz! :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Move to socal and you will never have to take time off. ;)

Hum...
I like Mexcian food.
I do like Latin chicks...and the girls in SoCal are skinny hot....
And you say the skydiving is good?

Now i just have to find a job down there to support my skydive and sex habbit!

Yip!! Socal does have all the above and as far as the skydiving goes. I have only jumped at 2 DZ out here but its the weather that makes it awesome. I started my AFF in december and had my A license in Febuary. Im lots of ppl on here will agree that socal is one of the best places to skydive.

Move to socal and you will never have to take time off. ;)

Hum...
I like Mexcian food.
I do like Latin chicks...and the girls in SoCal are skinny hot....
And you say the skydiving is good?

Now i just have to find a job down there to support my skydive and sex habbit!

this could fit at least one of your bills!

:D:D:D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Looks alot like my old appartment when I lived in Finland and looks like my current office.