markovwgti

Trying to Fly canopy snowboarding?

Been thinking about it alot as snowboarding season is about to start here in my area...is it possible to groundlaunch my safire 2 149...there are some pretty nice double black diamonds whee i ride! I dont want to take my rig with me and get it all dirty and wet for no reason...should i try it or just dont bother taking my rig with me?

My snowboarding skills are above average!

Lauching from a snowboard is a bitch. Not impossible, but you're better off with little skis or just running -- anything to face forwards. That said, experience with what's attached to your feet, if anything, is only like 5% of what you need to get airborne. Get some training and experience with speedflying first.

Also note that ski resorts either don't let speedflyers on their runs, or often times require a USHPA membership and license. Even then, a lot of them are pretty crappy for speedflying as the winds are usually weird with a lot of turbulence and direction changes.

All that said -- it's definitely a rewarding goal to work towards!

Oh, and yes, you're canopy is fine for foot launching -- easy even! But you'll definitely want to take it off your skydiving rig and get it onto something that can get dirty.

very true, but a skydiving style harness might be a lot easier to launch with, with risers attached at the shoulder, rather than like the ground launch specific harnesses that attach at the waist. Id hate to launch my nano on a snowboard, but hook it up to a skydiving harness and you'll have way less wing distortion(not none, just less) when you are turned 90 degrees to the fall line, than you'd have with a paragliding harness.

Im pretty sure the general consensus is skis=paragliding harness, snowboard=skydiving harness. But what Id do, is buy an old skydiving container for like $100, cut off the container portion leaving the harness intact and just sew on a stuff sack. I know you said that you wont, but for others out there, please, DO NOT use your skydiving rig with your reserve sitting there in its packing tray, you are just asking to break your back when the inevitable happens and you hot tub onto your back.

check out this website also:
http://www.paraglidingforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11529&highlight=snowboard

Hey try to learn to fly your canopy first!!! Remember this? It was not that long ago!!!

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=6847&string=marko

Hey why wont you stop being a pussy and tell me who you are...pussy....have fun playing tough guy behind your computer screen!!!

Go out and do some real skydiving asshole!!!

Hey try to learn to fly your canopy first!!! Remember this? It was not that long ago!!!

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=6847&string=marko

Hey why wont you stop being a pussy and tell me who you are...pussy....have fun playing tough guy behind your computer screen!!!

Go out and do some real skydiving asshole!!!

Personal attacks are not permitted on DZ.com, and especially here.

Come back in 5 days when you've had time to cool off.

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team