morris

Proposals for changes of the FAI/IPC-rules

[Like this? (with 100 points on the water)
First: 41
Second: 14
Third: 19
Forth: 26

Waaaay better! ]

I completely agree! Not directed just at you, but you said you were one who pushed for a change in the zone acc in this direction, so part of it is directed at you. You pushed for a change and this is what came of it...

I pushed ONLY for a change of speed.
The need for a change in speed has already been discussed at the 2007 competitors meeting, but nobody had an idea how this could be done.
The proposal for a change of zone acc. came directly from the CP-guys at the IPC.
I like a lot of their ideas for zone acc. with the exception of how they wanna give away the points on the water, especially that the last gate would now be too important.
I got in touch yesterday with the CP-chairman at the IPC and gave him some examples of possible scores.
In addition I´ve send him the proposal of
gate 1: 41
gate 2: 14
gate 3: 19
gate 4: 26
This is going to be checked next week, we might see some last minute changes.
They also now about the discussion here, so it´s likely they surf by and have a look at the different opinions.
So anyone who likes to see something else should better raise his voice NOW!

So anyone who likes to see something else should better raise his voice NOW!

I would much rather have the old rules, then this convoluted abortion they came up with! For further changes I'm still thinking about some stuff, but just about anything would be better then what was decided on.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Well my opinion is we leave the rules as they were at the world meet and just change the score of second and fourth water gate as mentioned in here. This is called accuracy so I believe points need to be given for the accuracy of the pilot! In classic accuracy the pilots get points for distance from the target, not lose points. This is accuracy not water dragging! So, I say we just flip the score of the second and fourth water gate and not take away the importance of the accuracy.

It will be interesting to see how we are going to adapt these new rules for the amateur competitions, often held where there is no water to drag (course on grass).

From this document I wasn't able to gleam weather you would have to land on land (in a zone) to get a score? Can you in theory cruise through gates 1-4, then hit the brakes hard and land in the water, to receive a score of 100?

Also hope there will be a clear explanation of where the lines around the 2x2m box belong (is stepping on those lines "in" or "out"?) - I'm afraid judging "the box" will not be as easy as it might appear on paper.

I'm sure it will be laid out clearly in the full document and look forward to see that. I plan to keep an open mind and work with these new rules the best I can. CP is still a young discipline so I am sure this will not be the last change we see.

I encourage competitors and people interested in going into competition to study and know the rules - and be active within their respective organization to pass on comments and suggestions that may help improve each event, that then are passed on to be reviewed at IPC meetings (I don't think they check dz.com ;) ).
Morris has shown us that it can be done - by building a smart case, thinking things through and follow up.
For the US competitors, Marylou Laughlin is an excellent representative and an active FAI rated CP judge herself, I know she will gladly listen to your comments and pass them on.

And Stu, if you want video on every gate and every line, you better start training new judges as we will need those to man all those cameras and to video review everything!
The sport truly needs more good judges, so if you know of a good candidate, by all means please encourage them to get involved.
Blue Skies Magazine

Guys,

in my opinion the issue related to Accuracy with the "old" rules was that to many competitors were having an easy time in scoring high points by avoiding gate 4 and having the canopy fligh high and land with a stand up in zone 5 or pretty close. This was because we could miss gate 4 losing very few points.

With the new rules having to drag the last gate will make things more complicated on the landing area and will avoid all those high scores that were killing the other disciplines.
Same thing with gathering points on water, because this way the speed and distance guys will have an easier life than with the old rules and will collect more points losing less on the landing.
What I mean is that these new accuracy rules might make life easier for the powerfull guys making things tougher for the more precise guys. If this will be the case we will have better results because overall the weight of accuracy will be reduced in comparison to Distance and Speed.

If this is the case...........I like the new rules :D;)

There have been a lot of talking about the scoring system here. But one of the big issues at the competetors meeting in SA we were talking about not to stop in the scoring Zone but just tap it and then be able to run off the speed. This was mainly to avoid broken bones and splined ankels but ther dosent seem to be any changes there at all...

7.6. If the competitor fails to make a stand up landing, a penalty of 10 points will be deducted from the total earned points for
that round.
7.7. If the competitor has earned water gate points, makes contact in one landing zone, but comes to a complete stop within
another landing zone with greater penalty, the competitor will receive the points of this greater zone.
7.8. If the body of the competitor stops outside the landing zones the competitor will receive the minimum score for that
round.
Bo Wienberg

vimeo.com/bowienberg

So, who has run the new accuracy rules and how was it? We are having our national championship in little more than a month and I was curious as to what the comments are on the new rules. Has this made any changes as expected?
Thanks.
“It takes ten years to get ten years’ experience” Eric "tonto" Stephenson D515 PASA

we've been running the new speed scoring, and the new accuracy zones and scoring for the last 2 meets at the FLCPA. We'll run them in Raeford this weekend too.
The speed event definately weighs heavier now. You can't just limp through the course and get an 85 anymore.
Some of the folks are looking at accuracy quite a bit different too. The bottom line is still-get all the water gates, and stand up as close to highest scoreing zone as possible. There are a couple little changes you may want to make to your strategy, but only if you botched your run and are trying to salvage a decent score.
Watch out for planters.

Unfortunately it's largely negated by the new ZA rules.

The new rules really make ZA much easier, with a much higher likely hood of ties and/or very close scores.

So, at the moment, all we've essentially done is fix one 'problem' but create another.

IMO, there needs to be greater point differentials between Zones 1-4 in the new scoring system if the current water points system is going to be used.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

morris, have you competed with the new speed scoring system yet? what did you think when one competitor had a down wind or no wind component, and others had a head wind component and now get 40 or 50 points due to that? i realize weather conditions are going to happen regardless but now it's amplified to a point where if you do get a gust of head wind you're out of the running for a good spot.

personally i didn't think speed need to change that drastic, lengthing the course a little bit or making it a tighter carve would have been a better solution in my opinion. but i guess we all have the same course and rules to abide by.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

what did you think when one competitor had a down wind or no wind component, and others had a head wind component and now get 40 or 50 points due to that?

We've already seen that happen. Under the new system the end result was something along the lines of a 60-70 point difference on what would have been a 30 point difference or so.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team