Skydave103

Burble collapse

So Saturday we were making Hippies 1000th jump and Sunman was going to follow him in for landing and I was going to follow both of them.
I ended up tracking the opposite direction and was out of position.

As they are turning I kept following and tried to stay close.

I come out of a small left toggle turn I hit Sunman's burble. I am about 1400 ft. Canopy turns hard right about 90deg and dropped a good 200 feet.

looking up I see the right side of my canopy collapsed.

The rest of the ride was uneventful. Needless to say it scared the shit out of me.

I have gone threw many burbles before and have never had this happen. All I can say is I'm glad it didn't happen closer to the ground!

Enjoy,
Dave
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPZXtfntRRo
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

Let me guess, Sunman was naked? Then it wasn't the burble, bro. The canopy just got scared and refused to fly behind him. I kinda know cause i went temporarily blind from seeing Sunman naked, lucky it cleared right up once Tiffany displayed the boobs. It was a miracle, really, i thought i was done for good.

All seriousness aside though, my friend had to cutaway from a similar collapse on his velo after he got into a tandem burble. I wonder, is big slow canopy burble worse vs. small fast one?

He definitely wasn't naked!!! Yeah that just leaves a imprint on the brain that hurts! fortunately for you you may never have to see that again, I on the other hand have to jump at the same DZ! just hope someone gives me warning so I can look at Tiff tits. :P (jk Kevin)

Hard to say about big vs small burble. He is on a 96? and it fucked up my ride.

Dave

LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

I experienced exactly the same thing flying a Sabre 2 150 (at about 1.35 lb/sf) behind my friend's demo Optimum 126. It's at 3 minutes 42:

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=7100&string=calamity

Scared the crap out of me, especially as it took AGES to regain cell pressure, and what with Gap being turbulent during the middle of the day the whole of the rest of the ride was bumpy anyway. Scariest moment of the trip until the car crash...