caldefly

canopy wing loading

The wing loading chart at the PD website says that a sabre 2 97 sq ft. should have a maximum load of 155 lbs. If my exit weight is 175 Am i really over loading this canopy?... Am i really abusing this wing ?The reason i ask is because i want to buy me a canopy that is suitable for wingsuit flying but that also will have the performance for swooping . Any way Is it safe since i know chuck blue at Z-hills has one of that size and I bet his wing loading is more than 155 lbs.... Thanks very much for the info.
" THE SKY IS THE LIMIT "

Besides the obvious arguments about jump numbers and wingloadings, I will say that I've personally found Sabre2's performance to drop off drastically when you pass about 1.6. I've also personally found that at 1.4 to 1.5 is the peak of performance in terms of swooping; this is when you have the ability to make the canopy perform at that wingloading.

Is it safe or not? You should damned well know that if you're jumping at a 1.8 wingloading! You shouldn't have to ask!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

>If my exit weight is 175 Am i really over loading this canopy?

Yes.

>The reason i ask is because i want to buy me a canopy that is suitable for
>wingsuit flying but that also will have the performance for swooping .

If you are starting out in either one, choosing a canopy that will do both is a very bad idea. Use a bigger canopy for wingsuiting until you can deploy shoulders-square every time, and downsize gradually on an appropriate canopy when learning to swoop.

If you want to load up a medium performance canopy I'd recommend a Safire2 over a Sabre2. In my experience the Safire2's perform well in the 1.8-1.9 loading range (but still are not, by any stretch of the imagination, docile at those loadings.)

Thanks very much. Well as far as wingsuit flying i ve done already about 60 jumps with different wingsuits and i can pull very stable . I wold say that for the last 100 jumps i have been using a sabre 2 135 and have gradually practice swoop landings in a very safe way using straight in front risers, 90 degree turns and a few 180 's.. But i came to the conclusion that i will get me either a 107 or 120 and continue to learn ... Thanks again for all your advice
" THE SKY IS THE LIMIT "

If you are jumping a 135, why do you want to consider a 97. When downsizing, one size at a time is the best way to go. Learn the canopy (everything about it) before making 1 step down. With a wing suit bigger less twitchy is better.

I think going from a 135 to a 107 is to much of a jump. The 120 is a better idea when your ready to step down a size :)