james309

Billvon Canopy checklist?

I recently downsized from my sabre2 210 to a sabre2 190. Before I downsized I was able to complete everything on Billvon's checklist except flat turn 90 degrees at 50 feet. I feel comfortable with flat turns, but I don't feel comfortable doing them at 50 feet. I don't see how I can attempt this safely. I have practiced flat turns up high, but no matter how good I get at flat turns I can't convince myself that trying them at fifty feet is a good idea. I recognize the benefits, but if this maneuver is done incorrectly it seems as though it could lead to serious injury. Has anyone attempted this at fifty feet with 250 jumps? Is it a good idea? If it is a good idea; how do I attempt flat turns at fifty feet and still be safe?
You only live once, but If you live like I did once is enough.

BillVon's checklist says:
If and when you do try it out low, start at lesser angles (i.e. try a 15 degree turn first) make sure the pattern is clear and make sure conditions are good (soft ground, good winds.) Work up gradually to a full 90 degree turn.

15 degrees is not alot. Start at 100ft and work down if you want, you should be able to see that you are back under the canopy well before you have to flare. Take it slow.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

I agree with last post.
Start with less then 90*. And start higher. Start even at 300feet, then at 200, 150, 100, 75, and after couple jumps you doing it at 50feet.
Just take it easy and slow., Most important that you feel you self safty enought to do it
Blue skys and soft landings to all!