ozzy13

Canopy progression

I know there is a wing loading progression on here somewhere. I was wondering the different types of canopy's.
My was student rigs
Saber 2 170 270 jumps
Safire 2 149 around 400 jumps
I am still on the Safire
Looking to try different canopy's. I am still in the early stages of swooping and looking to switch canopy's next year. My wing loading is 1.35 right now.
My question is what was the different types and why did you like/dislike them?
Thanks
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Sabre2-135 would be a nice choice? Try to demo that one.

I had a Saber 2 . I like it , just didn't like the off heading openings. Looking for a elliptical canopy in between the Saber/Safire class and the cross brace class. I tried a Crossfire 2 and didn't really like it. Just wondering what else is out there that people jumped and there thoughts on it

just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the Crossfire?? I learned a lot under that one - still have a 99 in my arsenal. ( I flew a Sabre2 120 and loved that one as well!) I found the Xfire to be a very nice opening canopy, good dive, responsive to harness input and a good step to the next level coming off a Stiletto 107. I could also suggest that you try a Katana but that may be one step too many. Not sure- talk to people who know your proficiency level and have an honest evaluation. Maybe have a chat with the PD people and have them send you a 135 to demo,...NOTE....this one is one to be really heads up with

I've had a sabre2 for 2 years and was able to pretty much get on-heading openings as long as you steer the canopy on opening. I don't understand what the problem is with off-heading openings.

Crossfire2 would be a step up from a sabre2. If you don't like the crossfire2 either I would suggest staying on the safire2 and go one size smaller?

If swooping is your thing...go with a sabre2. If you don't like the openings on the sabre2...stay far away from the katana. The katana would be a nice choice if you already learned some skills under a sabre2 loaded at around 1.5. The katana is a step up from a crossfire2.

>just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the Crossfire?

I have a Crossfire2 109 and I like it, but honestly the Safire2 109 I've jumped flew about the same, even had slightly less riser pressure, a bit longer arc and more consistent openings. If I had to do it over again I would have gotten the Safire2 and saved the $100.

I've had a sabre2 for 2 years and was able to pretty much get on-heading openings as long as you steer the canopy on opening. I don't understand what the problem is with off-heading openings.

Crossfire2 would be a step up from a sabre2. If you don't like the crossfire2 either I would suggest staying on the safire2 and go one size smaller?

If swooping is your thing...go with a sabre2. If you don't like the openings on the sabre2...stay far away from the katana. The katana would be a nice choice if you already learned some skills under a sabre2 loaded at around 1.5. The katana is a step up from a crossfire2.

...so true - my Katana has some ferocious openings LOL... was good training tho! I never jumped a Safire 2 so perhaps given the two comments below mine, going a size smaller there is a wise choice.

To me the crossfire felt bumpy in turbulence. It was a 139 which was a little higher wing loading then i am jumping. The opening was great and flare was great. I just didn't like the fact that i was getting bumped around. The DZ I jump at is windy all the time. The safire I don't feel the bumps as much as I did on the Crossfire

>just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the Crossfire?

I have a Crossfire2 109 and I like it, but honestly the Safire2 109 I've jumped flew about the same, even had slightly less riser pressure, a bit longer arc and more consistent openings. If I had to do it over again I would have gotten the Safire2 and saved the $100.

I'm going to have to disagree here :)
I've jumped a safire2 149 and a crossfire2 149 at loadings that are close to ozzy13's. I didn't do that many jumps on either and I don't have billvon's experience but I found the riser pressure to be high on both and the recovery arc to be short on both (compared to a samurai of same size), but on a relative basis, these properties were much more pronounced on the safire than on the crossfire.

Care to get your hands on a safire other than that demo from square1 and verify that what your observation isn't just specific to that particular canopy? ;)