popsjumper

World Record - Speed

here is the fai rule on the speed course setup.
I will let you do the math.:)
ADDENDUM B – SPEED COURSE
1. The Speed course must have an angle of 75° and be 70 meters long measured along the centreline of the course (see
addendum F). The carving course must have a radius of 53.48 meters.
2. The direction of the carve must be specified in the accepted organisation bid. There shall be 5 pairs of course markers,
including entry and exit gates. The course markers on the inside of the course shall be of contrasting colour visible from
above.
3. At least 10 meters at the end of the course must be out of the water

I thought the curved course is 70m long.
makes:

70m/2.45s=28,6 m/s

is an average speed of 103 km/h
or 64 mph.

That is calculated with the minimum distance of the course, real way is longer so is the real speed.

Even more that's fast like ****, since you really got to get it around the corner.

Average speed is one thing, the speed at the entry gate another. We had speed measurements of up to 94mph in the past, so I guess we are closing in now on 100mph!
I got different information regarding the new SpeedWorldRecord. First Jonathan Tagle flew something like 2.55, then we had Nick Batsch pulling out something like 2.46, then we had Shannon Pilcher with 2.45 and finally we had a 2.44 set by a guest competitor from another country.

Average speed is one thing, the speed at the entry gate another. We had speed measurements of up to 94mph in the past, so I guess we are closing in now on 100mph!

It is possible to roughly estimate the gate entry speed from the average speed and time.

When flying horizontally, you decelerate at the fraction of g that is equal to the reciprocal of your momental L/D:

a = g/(L/D)

For the rough estimate, one can assume constant L/D (which is not true - as you slow down, your canopy must produce the same lift - equal to your weight - at slower speed, therefore, it must change angle of attack and as a result, L/D is constantly changing. But for an estimate, the changes in L/D are relatively small if one exits the course with high speed still.)

Assuming L/D ~ 2.5, we have a ~ 0.4g.

If V0 is the gate entry speed and V1 is the course exit speed, average speed Vavg = (V0 + V1)/2 (for constant deceleration), and V1 = V0 - a*t, where t is time. So, Vavg = (V0 + V0 - a*t)/2 = V0 - a*t/2, and

V0 = Vavg + a*t/2 = Vavg + g*t/2/(L/D)

In this particular case, V0 = 28.6m/s + 9.8m/s^2 * 2.45s/2/2.5 = 33.5m/s = 120.6km/h = 75mph.
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

What canopy was he flying? He wasn't by chance flying a Velocity 103 was he? LOL because if he was, it in mine and Grant Adam's old canopy and this will mark the 2nd time that a canopy owned at some point by myself was involved in some sort of record. Of course never while I was PIC so that is more coincidence than anything. LOL ... carry on and congrats to Hans Paulsen.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

:D:D:D
She said 'groceries".

We say "beer".
:D:D:D

We here at the Farm are proud of all our guys out there.

But Hans...damn, there's going to be no living with him from now on in spite of his "modesty" streak.
:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

We here at the Farm are proud of all our guys out there.

Its great that they're all great people too! Its so much fun to be able to compete with good swoopers who are also fun to hang around with. The lack of ego is very very nice!

Also, it was sad for me while I was training in Colorado before the Farm boys showed up. I was feeling really fat compared to all the skinny little swoopers running around with their skin tight shirts on...then the FARM arrived. Not only did I feel like an average size, Big Steve made me feel small. Its not every day that I feel small standing next to someone.

There were a couple of the other swoopers that stayed well away from the Farm boys. I think it was for fear of being eaten!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

LOL!! Try beer... it's healthier than McD's and tastier too!!!
I decided last minute to go and it was the best decision I could have made as far as seeing how much I could execute my skill sets learned at FLCPA. I did go with a Velo 84 which raised some eyebrows considering the conditions and my experience level on that wing (limited at best) but I felt very comfortable under it (although the openings are still tricky - I am trying to fly the opening and learning that is NOT what I shld be doing - gave myself 6-7 linetwists -AAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!)
In any case, had great support from all of my FLCPA friends and made some new ones - watched the best and one always comes away with new information. I had a blast and can't wait to start FLCPA again in January, get some PD coaching and learn this wing before I get too many bad habits.
Next year, I'd like to score every round....that's the goal for 2009.

Glad to have met you Dave, hope all is ok in Aggieland :D
I luv the all you can eats, I do have to say that my w/l is down .2 from last year :-)

Hans with a 2.44 speed round, I think it was Moritz Friess that got the same speed time, congrats to him.

Kev Love took 2nd in the PST was really awesome and winning distance at Nationals.

All the Farm boys did good. Congrats to Hans, Kevin, Ian, Sunman. We have a new pro card holder in LOUD DAN.... woo hooo