Beer

Loosening the chest strap to much?

Is there such a thing?
I understand the dangers of potentially falling out of the harness if I were to induce a malfunction after loosening the chest strap.
The thing is I had the harness resized (used rig) and had them install a longer chest strap. This is on a Mirage G4.
I can loosen the chest strap all the way and it stays fairly tight with the three rings a few inches outside of my shoulders. I don't normally do this, but a few weeks ago I had noticed there wasn't slack in the chest strap when to where I normally loosen it, so I loosened it until there was no more left. When I gave anything more than slight toggle input (plenty of slack in the lines) the canopy would buffet like on the edge of a stall. I was below my hard deck, so I was taking it easy in the turns, then I thought for a second. I started dealing with traffic, so I don't really remember if the buffeting ceased. But it hasn't happened since.

I don't remember seeing or hearing this anywhere. I was curious to see if anybody else has run into this. I'm in the middle of moving, so I don't have a tape handy (not anything I'd get anywhere near my rig anyway) but the strap goes from my wrist almost all the way to my shoulder or finger tip to a few inches past my elbow. Great measurement, I know. I've got a little more than 6 ft of 'wing span' if that gives you a better idea. So maybe 2 to 2.5 ft

Learn to be happy. You can't be there for anybody else in life if you can't learn to be there for yourself.

I think I remember your rig (I'm the inspector at Mirage), it should have about a 20 - 22 inch chest strap. I've got a 24" inch on my rig and I loosen it all the way on every jump and have never had a problem. Even after a RDS mal 2 weekends ago leading to a chop, once the reserve was open and flying I did my usual routine, look at my landing options, loosen chest strap, unstow toggles, see if the canopy will not kill me (barring user error) on landing. Then looked at where my stuff was going and followed it down since it was on the airport. So others may chime in but I've never had an ill handling canopy because of loosening the chest strap. ;)

Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

Yeah, you would definately remember this rig. Green and navy blue tie with neon yellow trim tape (not as bad as it sounds. Really)
I love the G4. You guys put out a nice container.

I never experienced anything like that before
I'm flying a Safire 2 159 loaded to 1.22 or so. Less than 50 jumps on it I think.

I remember looking up and seeing a couple of the lines tighter than the rest. They were pulling the bottom skin down further at the attachment points. Everything seems to be in trim when flaking the canopy out. And it flies fine other than that one time.

Learn to be happy. You can't be there for anybody else in life if you can't learn to be there for yourself.