climbcarolinas

Ground launching

hello all i have been out of the sport for about 6 years due to job constraints, but still miss it terribly. when i was getting out of the sport it seemed like ground launching was building momentum, but i don't know where it went.

i'm moving back to the carolina's in the spring...somewhere near asheville area. anyway, there are several sites where hang gliders launch, but no way could you launch a canopy there as i have been to the sites....basically a cliff.

i am all about being as safe as i can. are there any groups doing this that i can learn from? i read where jim slayton has a program out west, but i would like to stay on the east coast if possible.

thanks for any insight,
dan

wow! i guess slayton's grand plan from ground swooping is a resounding 'thud'? guess i will stick to my pilot rig in my glider unless someone opens a non-Cessana drop zone near my house.

A busy cessna dropzone (3 Cessnas and 3 pilots) can give you more jumps in one day than a single Twin Otter going up only when the loads fill up. I squeezed in 8 jumps in one day at a Cessna dropzone once and could have easily done 10 if I skipped more rest breaks. :)

oh probably b/c i just turned into a jump whore and got spoiled at some point and standing around all day is one of the things that drove me away form the sport. jumping at say skydive city where you can jump as fast as you can spend your money is addicting. i just got started off with unrealistic expectations i think...my first year i think i bagged around 330 jumps....another 300 the next year.....so on and so forth....then when i moved around a lot and was at drop zones with cessnas only. and no there were not 3 with 3 pilots or i would be happy. i don't want to skydive if i go to the dz and do 3 jumps in a day in a plane struggling to get to 10 grand in 20 minutes.

then i got into sail planes and the rest is history....riding thermals all day just toots my horn.

nothing against cessnas, great plane! i just found a new way to stay airborne all day. freeflying was an awesome drug, but flying my canopy was the best part....

but no way could you launch a canopy there as i have been to the sites....basically a cliff.

I don't see the problem. ;) I love foot launching from cliffs. Especially when they're high enough to give you room for some front riser action. But you definitely need to have your kiting and running absolutely dialed before you charge off a cliff with a tiny HP canopy over your head.

Really all you need is a place with wind to practice kiting and running. When you get to the point that you can instinctively walk around with a canopy over your head, you can launch pretty much anything.

my ball sack isn't large enough to run off these pitches i can tell you that for sure!! my buddy from lutz florida has been flying hang gliders for about 8 years and he said the cliff launch where i watched guys fly is about as tough as he has ever done. i think 'total commitment' was the phrase he used;)