skydude2000

Parachute and its Pilot

Hi guys,

I think there are about a million threads about this, but I'm not sure anyone has mentioned this on here before; probably. I took Brian's course last month, bought The Parachute and its Pilot, and I was more than halfway through, in about a week. Then what I was reading started to scare me. I just thought that if I was a little dumber, a little cockier and a bit more aggressive, I would actually start trying things I wasn't ready for.

That is really my only quarrel with the book so far. Brian explains it so well, and so thoroughly, that if I wasn't regularly practicing each maneuver outlined in the book, I would think 'Oh yeah, I'll just try a 270 front riser carve like this . . . and' 'WHACK!!' Next thing you know I'm in the Titanium Club.

Has anyone else noticed this, and is it something I should be worried about? I REALLY don't wanna get hurt!!!!
FYI I'm loading a Sabre 190 at about 0.97

Thanks.
PULL!! or DIE!!

People are allways going to try things they aren't ready for resulting in a bitch slap from terra firma... and that is going to happen with or without people reading Brian's book. I would be suprised if his straight forward approach about the dangers of swooping didn't convince a lot of new jumpers to slow down and take their time.

I think the point of those sections in the book is to help teach those who ARE ready to swoop to do so in a safey more efficient manner.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I got Brians book about 2 months ago. I read it all through, and is is correct in what you're saying, in that it tells you all about the advanced techniques early on and it could be a problem with an over inflated ego, but if you're serious enough, just taking time to learn the basics, the book really makes you a better canopy flier. I can vouch on that one! :)
In the reading of the book, I moved from a 190, loaded at .88 to a 170 at 1.0 and the book has definitely helped me become a better pilot.