bdazel

preferred riser length w/velocity

I'm curious to hear from experienced Velocity pilots what riser length you prefer. Also, in your opinion how does riser length affect your canopy's performance? And is wing loading a factor when you choose your riser length?

thanks all

I use 24s which are about as long as I can use to be able to grab my slider and pull er down...

I notice that it takes longer for things to happen across the board...longer time into and out of turn/dive...

the other thing I like about my riser length is when the riser pressure builds up I just fold my upper body down and out and keep arms locked so that I am not fighting with the riser pressure with my arms but with my torso

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

the other thing I like about my riser length is when the riser pressure builds up I just fold my upper body down and out and keep arms locked so that I am not fighting with the riser pressure with my arms but with my torso

I dont quite understand this.. The only possible scenario that I can think of where you wont use your arms to "fight with the riser pressure" is when you would have your arms fully extended and therefore you could hang in the dive loops arms straight..

When you say you use your torso ? What exactly do you mean by this ?

I've jumped 19, 21, 23, 25 - of all of them, I only didn't like the 19's.

The 23's and 25's are my favorite as I like to reach really high on my risers when using rears and the 21's and especially the 19's I end up with hands full of lines :)

As far as flight characteristics go - I don't really notice a diff between 23's and 25's - although I'm sure there is a little.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I dont quite understand this.. The only possible scenario that I can think of where you wont use your arms to "fight with the riser pressure" is when you would have your arms fully extended and therefore you could hang in the dive loops arms straight..

When you say you use your torso ? What exactly do you mean by this ?

so instead of pulling down with arms keep arms at full extension and hang...precisely and in hanging you use your torso to fold yourself forward to hang on them...

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I have 24" risers with modded dive loops, that I have found to be the shiznit. I've tried the stock (21" I think) with louie loops and they were cool, just tooo short, I have a set of 25s that I don't use anymore because my rieght shoulder is apparently made of pins needles and sharp glass, I've used 26es and they were alright once I got my fingers situated, kind of a long reach though. 24s seem to suit me the best........and now back to our sponsor.

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!

Sorry to hijack but i was wondering if anyone could tell me if any of the advice above could be also used by me...I am currently ordering a new rig and will be flying a Katana120 or a XFire119. I am ordering low drag risers with louie loops but have no idea what the ultimate riser length is? Any help would be appreciated thanx:)