MADPROPS

ground lanuching a Reserve??

i'm getting into ground launching i have some nice hills with sand at the bottom that i'm going to start on

but i don't want to GL with my sky diving gear

i'm thinking of getting an old chute and container

so is there anything wrong with ground launching a reserve chute??
live and let live

A reserve is trimmed to open quickly and reliably. I don't really know anything about ground launching but I assume you need something with a decent glide ratio - a reserve may not be that. You may be better with someone's patched up and ragged out old main.

-Michael

I have ground launched a Raven. It can work but you need a pretty steep hill and even then it still kind of sucks.

That said -- if your profile is correct, I would spend more time building canopy skills in the skydiving environment before trying ground launching. It is very easy to paint yourself into a corner on a hill with the hospital as your only "out". You really want to have a formidable bag of tricks up your sleeve for flying around close to the ground. The ability to do large flat turns is a must.

A few tips:

If you aren't ready to skydive with a canopy, you are definitely not ready to ground launch it.

Don't go by yourself. You will feel pretty dumb sitting there on the hill with a broken leg and no one to help you, and even dumber when you find out your cell phone has no coverage where you are laying crumpled up in a heap.

Since you're going with a buddy, make it someone who's experienced on the hill and knows where the good lines are -- and especially where the bad ones are! Turbulence can hurt or kill you!

Have fun and be safe!

If you are from Big Sky, talk to your DZO about Groundlaunching with Skydiving Gear.

They buried someone last month who got in over his head doing something totally stupid.

Get proper training and use the proper gear.

Blue Ones

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

thanks for the info

i was not planing on going to any big hills there is this 200 foot hill by my house with sand at the bottom and the wind mostly blows right up it soi was going to just try and do it off there. i don't think i could get more then 5 feet off the ground if i wanted to. the hill is not steep enough just something to do till i can go to jim's school for it next year.

and i plan on taking more then one other person

i really would like to hit up the ski hills but i will wait till i'm ready and have some one with me thats has done it for years and knows the hill
live and let live

From what I hear Kurt did not die ground launching, but rather he was killed while being towed behind a truck under a ram air parachute.

That is correct.

The similarity is a junior jumper doing something without asking for advice/guidence from someone on his DZ who knows him and his skills or doing it without proper training.

The OP has indicated he intends to attend a ground launch school. Great. The hill will be there afterwards so why be in a hurry to do it without proper training and equipment?

Blue Ones

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

i have talked to my dropzone

and was warned that its not safe

the hill i picked has nothing around it I.E. trees rocks (little or big) and the slope is so that i don't think ill get more then 5 feet off the ground if i can get off at all. the bottom is deep sand like i said b4

just want to kinda get a feel for it b4 i go to the class.
live and let live

the hill i picked has nothing around it I.E. trees rocks (little or big) and the slope is so that i don't think ill get more then 5 feet off the ground if i can get off at all. the bottom is deep sand like i said b4

Sigh [:/]

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Sigh [:/]

translation: in spite of the advice of very experienced people around you including your DZ saying not to because you could end up dead, you're going to do it anyway.

If you haven't already, you may earn yourself the title DGIT (pronounced digit).

Please reconsider, not based on what I say, I have NFI but look at the jump numbers of the people in this thread & your DZ on top of that. This isn't a good idea.

Most ground launching injuries don't happen at the bottom of the run. Consider that before you plan on the deep sand saving you.

You have feedback from the experienced locals. I encourage you to take their advice and make your own informed decision with it.

Dont die.

BSBD

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

i know that i have a full set of gear from shins and knees to arms and head and all the stuff in the middle and having looked at this hill again i'm not sure ill even get off the ground :$

ill post pic's as soon as i get my photo taking tool back B|

thanks for your warnings i will be as safe as i can

one of my friends works for ems and he is going to be there

live and let live

Be sure you know ur chute really well, and its no crosswind.
I tryid ground lanuching last winter with Safire2 169.
On first attempt I didnt managed to get my canopy up till allmost i was down, and ended with skiing with my chute upon me:)
On second I had amazing fly, most fun I ever had under the canopy.
On the last attempt I got some nasty crosswind, my chute got to the side, twisted couple times and started dragging me to the side. I waited till I allmost got to the trees and cutaway. So I didnt hurt me at all, and my chute was totally find. But it was on the snow...
I hope it can help you in someway.
Just be careful man!
Blue skys and soft landings to all!

I have been speedriding or GL for the past year a few hundred flights. A reserve is not trimed enough. you can pick up an old stilleto for cheep they are the best canopies for learning on and they are everywhere.

here is a video I shot this winter on a stilleto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y__tioyyo4Q

Be carful learn to ground handel really well first

my plan is a 10 km head wind

my no go is anythig but that B|

but i'm now having a beach of a time getting a chute. the last one i tryed to ge was a scam the guy wasn't even smart lol. i sent everything to the mods

so now i'm still looking any one on here have anythin for 300 :$

live and let live