frost

USPA Canopy Piloting Nationals 2008 - Colorado

Well, i guess it's a good time to start that topic... Did you hear the bad news? It may not happen due to the Democratic National Convention in Denver...

From USPA website:

USPA Works to Save Canopy Competitions (updated 07/11/08)

For the past two weeks, USPA has engaged in an intensive government relations effort to prevent the Democratic National Convention in Denver from forcing the cancellation of three canopy piloting meets at Mile-Hi Skydiving Center, located just north of Denver. The convention, set for August 25-28, is designated as a National Special Security Event and requires the establishment of a 30-mile radius Temporary Flight Restriction over Denver. Mile-Hi Skydiving Center is based at the Longmont-Vance Brand Airport, which lies just four miles within the proposed restricted airspace. USPA’s Canopy Pilot National Championships, the Pro Swooping Tour Championships and the Canopy Piloting Circuit Championships are all scheduled to occur back to back beginning early that same week.

USPA staff recently met with high-level FAA security and Secret Service officials to discuss skydiving’s needs and the government’s requirement for heightened security measures. USPA has every reason to be optimistic that skydiving will occur that week. The government officials have told USPA that a final decision will be made early next week.

USPA has every reason to be optimistic that skydiving will occur that week.

Let's not jump the gun there just yet Mike.

But thanks for bringing this up, I had no idea it could be a potential issue. I'm sure USP will let us know ASAP.
Performance Designs Factory Team

I wonder if there could even be time for an alternate site? Does the USPA even plan for alternate sites in cases like this? OR do you know if PD or Fastrax might hold an alternate competition if the pinkie liberals shut down nationals?

I can drive anywhere in the country, but Mile-High is the closest with a FAI legal pond.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Who knows dude. Most of us on the East Coast already purchased our tickets... If an alternate site is announced, I am pretty sure these dedicated pilots would still go. I know i will. In fact, i would rather go to FL, than to CO ;) Lake Wales has a huge pond, i think it's up to par.

In any case, USPA is saying they are optimistic. Lets keep an eye on this situation and see what the government says about it this week...

In fact, i would rather go to FL, then to CO Lake Wales has a huge pond, i think it's up to par.

Likewise.

Of course, my family who are vacationing to the US during Nationals might not be too pleased about the sudden change of venue :D
Performance Designs Factory Team

I know that it would be a huge deal to move the site this late in the game, but I was trying to be optomistic in case the USPA is unable to make it happen for the current venue.

Basically, like everybody else, I want to see it happen and am dissappointed in this unforseen conflict. Hopefully it will work out. Either way I have two weeks of vacation on the books and would like to go somewhere and swoop if it doesn't happen.

Acceptance speech!! are you serious, just another example of the democrats keeping us down!
The cost of hotels has doubled just because of the democratic national complication.
"Dropzone.com, where uneducated people measuring penises, has become an art form"

I think Ian Drennan looks just like Obama and could forfeit his spot at nationals to double for the presidential candidate in his speech. this would forego the need for security because lets face it, no ones gonna miss Ian :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: Then we get to have nationals! sweet!

Whos with me? Ian? :P

You know what, now that you mentioned it.... he DOES look like Obama. :ph34r:

On the bright side, the good news from USPA.org:

USPA CP Nationals Will Continue as Planned (updated 07/18/08)

The canopy competitions slated for the week of August 25 at Mile-Hi Skydiving Center in Longmont, Colorado, will continue as scheduled. After weeks of negotiations with the FAA and the Secret Service, USPA received assurance yesterday that the skydiving competitions may continue, even during the Democratic National Convention in downtown Denver. The convention, set for August 25-28, is designated as a National Special Security Event and requires the establishment of a 30-mile radius Temporary Flight Restriction over Denver. Mile-Hi Skydiving Center is based at the Longmont-Vance Brand Airport, which lies just four miles within the proposed restricted airspace. Certain extra security measures will be in place, but none should interfere with skydiving operations, with the exception of Thursday afternoon, August 28.

USPA's Canopy Pilot National Championships, the Pro Swooping Tour Championships and the Canopy Piloting Circuit Championships are all scheduled to occur that same week.

Certain extra security measures will be in place, but none should interfere with skydiving operations, with the exception of Thursday afternoon, August 28.

you guys ready for full cavity searches? i know windmiller is, he's military. and ian, well he just likes that shit.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

Hmm, free time on our hands on Thursday?
I can imagine my conversation at the Avis counter:
- Wait, so you're telling me that for 10 dollars per day i can wreck this car and have to pay NOTHING for it?
- Yes, sir.
- I will get that insurance, please.
Uncle Pete, Uncle Chris and Uncle Mike are gonna go crazy up in that piece!

Stu, I heard GW kinda digs it too. The good thing for all is that this time around the cavity searches are FREE!*

* for a limited time only, some restriction apply, first 50 customers, see event organizer for details.

waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!! I wanna come too [:/].... Mike -video EVERYTHING!!!!...and be sure to take it off the plane on the return flight..

Have fun, be safe kids! ....and pls tell me I get to redeem myself from Atlanta next year with FLCPA 2009....must do better...must do better...must do better...must not be scared of big bad ponds...must not be scared of big bad ponds...:D.

Hmm, free time on our hands on Thursday?
I can imagine my conversation at the Avis counter:
- Wait, so you're telling me that for 10 dollars per day i can wreck this car and have to pay NOTHING for it?
- Yes, sir.
- I will get that insurance, please.
Uncle Pete, Uncle Chris and Uncle Mike are gonna go crazy up in that piece!

Oh god, I actually did that with skydivers when it rained on a Saturday many years ago. Oh, to be a young and reckless... If you're curious, it totally works. Didn't pay a dime. Regretable now, fun we thought it was pretty funny at the time. Restless skydivers = trouble.

SAAAWWEEEEEET!!!

I wonder if the loudener will be considered contraband by the SS?

I've been kind of worried about this for the last few days, I'm glad that the USPA actually pulled something worth while for the sport for once!

Don't be Homos, boys. Just show up and swoop. I, on the other hand, and simply too old to play politics and won't be going to Colorado anyway.

Just so all of you know: If ANY of you have EVER competed in a MONEY meet (like the ECPA, PPPB, PST,Ranch PSN) or any RedBull meet, you will be competing at the USPA nationals in the "Open" category. No matter what any "organizer" says, the USPA rules clearly state that if you have EVER competed at a professional level then you are required to compete in the "open" category. Likewise, if you do not compete in the "open" category then you will not be considered for ANY US team for the world meet (including canopy piloting). This is exactly the same as four-way RW guys deal with. You simply CANNOT go from competing at the "open" level back to "advanced" or "intermediate" level if you have already competed at the "open" or "professional" level. The only caveat to that is the "player coaches" who were formerly "open" class competitors who now are allowed to compete as "player/coaches" with intermediate and advanced teams. This, in my opionion, is TOTAL horseshit. Back in the day, when I was still as four-way guy, you simply could not compete in anything other than "open" class when you had over 1500 jumps.

Feel free to PM me or call me directly at 910 273 6291 if you want to discuss it. I can promiss you that I have been competing since you have been shitting green.

Chuck

I have heard that it is going to be a smaller TSR than the 30 mile radius. If they did the 30 mile TSR that would shut down a lot of airtraffic over denver. I will be working during the DNC so will probably not be able to come out and entertain you with the loudener. I am sure Frank and Jim are just pleased about that.

Don't be Homos, boys. Just show up and swoop.

Exactly.

I, on the other hand, and simply too old to play politics and won't be going to Colorado anyway.

I can promiss you that I have been competing since you have been shitting green.

Chuck

Old man, dust off that Velo, buy your plane tickets and come swoop with us Greenshitters - forget politics! I will sign you up for Ian's basic canopy control lessons. May be he will even give you some free tips on high performance landings! Hey, as I told Sonic - i will sponsor a training jump for you*. :P:ph34r:

* some restrictions apply, one jump ticket per swoop dinosaur, see me for details.

I've got your loudener there sonny jim. I want a ride in the ultra insured car.....make sure they have road hazard for the tires so we don't have top do the hangar to hangar thing again.....

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!