dave610

How much for...

I am looking at a used rig of a friends and would like to get an idea of what it is worth. Can anyone help me on what a fair price range would be?
This has been his backup rig and not jumped since 1998, only 42 jumps on rig.
Infinity container - mfg date 1996 with
Sabre 170 main
PD 170 reserve with no rides
It does not have a AAD
Thanks and Blue Skies,
dave

Have the entire rig thoroughly inspected if it hasn't been jumped for almost 5 years. How many jumps on the Main?

Ask your buddy to have the reserve inspected/repacked. Then test jump it. Does everything fit? Is the main canopy a good size for your skill level? Ask some folks at your DZ.

That seems like a long time of inactivity for equipment I think. The triple-rings may be too stiff...the velcro may be fused...

Without a serious inspection and acknowledgment that it's still air-worthy I wouldn't buy it...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Have the entire rig thoroughly inspected if it hasn't been jumped for almost 5 years. How many jumps on the Main?

Ask your buddy to have the reserve inspected/repacked. Then test jump it. Does everything fit? Is the main canopy a good size for your skill level? Ask some folks at your DZ.

Great advice to anyone.
Here is where you lose me.

That seems like a long time of inactivity for equipment I think. The triple-rings may be too stiff...the velcro may be fused...

Huh? Inspection of gear is a good thing, both by the prospective buyer, and a qualified rigger. But without starting a war here, the lenth of time gear has not been used is not really a factor. The way it has been stored is.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Thanks for all the advise. I have talked with a rigger already and he is going to look it over and repack the reserve. If all looks ok I am going to jump it a few times.
I have unpacked the main and been using it to practice packing. The packer who is teaching me, said it looked in really good shape to her, but she is not a rigger.
42 jumps on the main.
thanks, dave

Safety wire, lots of safety wire.

Ok, seriously, the only velcro that'll should be on a '96 Infinity would be the handles, the freebag and the reserve toggles. Atleast, that's my understanding.:)

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Had the reserve repacked and my cypres put in it and made 5 jumps on it last weekend. Love the way it fits and the canopy, BUT, the main flap came open once, didn't prematurely deploy but was flapping in the wind, not really FF safe.
The rigger who did the reserve repack said the rig looked brand new. he did the main inspection with me and everything is in great shape. So I am jumping it for free until my boss wants it back or I get a new job and he gets pissed at me.
I most likely will try and find a mirage, vector or something that is FF safe after I get several more jumps rather than buy this rig.

FYI, the only velcro on the rig is the cutaway and reserve handles and toggles, and they were not froze up. everything else is tuck tabs

The new Infinity's have a slightly different main flap, if I remember correctly, it is a very easy mod and it'll fix that problem. Check with the manufacture/your rigger. The Infinit's I've seen were VERY FF safe.:)

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Use the fact that you have to get the flap modded as a bargaining point. It sounds like it could be a really good deal. That will leave you more money to skydive. That's always a good thing.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)